Prediction Who will finish higher in 2019 - Richmond, West Coast, Collingwood or Melbourne?

Who will finish higher?

• Richmond

Votes: 196 38.6%
  • West Coast

Votes: 157 30.9%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 99 19.5%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 56 11.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You can call all those guys depth as much as you like, but over the past few years they have shown very little.

Outside of Lloyd i wasnt upset about losing any of them.

Just because they are "kids" doesnt mean they cant have any impact if given a chance, just look what Graham did when he got his chance in his first year
A poster comments that Richmond have lost midfield depth in the off-season.

Your post highlighted all the depth you lost, and instead now have unproven kids left to step in if your first choice kids go down.

That was his point!

Of course you rate all the Richmond kids, all clubs think their draftees will be great until proven otherwise.

A poster comments that Richmond have lost midfield depth in the off-season.

Your post highlighted all the depth you lost, and instead now have unproven kids left to step in if your first choice kids go down.

That was his point!

Of course you rate all the Richmond kids, all clubs think their draftees will be great until proven otherwise.
The 'depth' we shed weren't working out anyway. Miles, as said previously, simply didn't fit within our game plan. Sam Lloyd was similar. Corey Ellis had failed time and time again at AFL level despite promising VFL form. Conca wasn't actually depth, he was in our best 22, but he was our weakest link.
These players were tested, but really didn't fit within our game. Would you rather a bunch of players who aren't all that useful, or a bunch of players who could be useful, and will at worst be as useful as the former group?

The 'depth' we shed weren't working out anyway. Miles, as said previously, simply didn't fit within our game plan. Sam Lloyd was similar. Corey Ellis had failed time and time again at AFL level despite promising VFL form. Conca wasn't actually depth, he was in our best 22, but he was our weakest link.
These players were tested, but really didn't fit within our game. Would you rather a bunch of players who aren't all that useful, or a bunch of players who could be useful, and will at worst be as useful as the former group?

Cough *rebuild* cough.

Problem being the youth is shathouse. If you are honest the pies stole your playing style and played it better and have improved there list way more then the tigers.

Nice troll.

You saying Pies KP stock is better?

Pies have a deep midfield group but quality talls is where they fall behind the Tigers and Eagles.

Nice troll.

You saying Pies KP stock is better?

Pies have a deep midfield group but quality talls is where they fall behind the Tigers and Eagles.

Well I stand corrected you are right! Ryan garthwaite is a elite player who filled in last year I take it all back.. 🙄 sorry pies

Problem being the youth is shathouse. If you are honest the pies stole your playing style and played it better and have improved there list way more then the tigers.
Of course this is based on one game - which we were outplayed easily of course and I will never suggest we should have won - but does not take into account our 18-4 H&A season where we looked, in general, above all else except for perhaps the eventual premiers in West Coast.

My main question mark over the pies is their fitness. There's no doubt their best footy is damn good but in all of their finals they seemed to run out of juice.
In the QF they lead by 10 going into the last, lost by 16.
In the SF they lead by 22 in the last after a quick 3 goal burst but didn't goal after the 5min mark while GWS were able to kick two to keep the game just alive.
In the PF they lead by 51, before we cut it to 21 in the last and even had an opportunity to make it 15 - to their credit in this case they were able to stabilise the game and run out easy winners
In the GF they of course kicked the first 5 goals, lead by 23 minutes before half time - and even lead by 2 goals early in the last after a burst - yet still lost. Watching the late stages of this game in particular, you can see the heavy legs of many players.

Compounding this, in the H&A they won just 13 4th quarters last year (1 draw), ranking them 6th in the competition. They won 15.5 2nd quarters (=1st) and 15.5 3rd quarters (2nd). Interestingly they won just 12.5 first quarters (5th) - though they seemed to reverse that in finals winning 3 of 4.

If they can fix that up they'll be hard to beat in 2019. But if not, I can see them getting overrun more often than they should.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My main question mark over the pies is their fitness. There's no doubt their best footy is damn good.
Yeah it would be great to have a season where we weren’t losing players during games every other week.

Unfortunately for us plenty of our talented players seem to be very fragile.

We haven’t lost anybody from our GF 22, yet will hopefully have these senior blokes as options to squeeze in at some point in 2019

Elliott
Moore
Scharenberg
Reid
Beams
Wells
Dunn
Roughead

That is handy depth before you start rattling off kids like Appleby, Daicos n Quaynor who plenty of ‘track watchers’ are bullish about.

Yeah it would be great to have a season where we weren’t losing players during games every other week.

Unfortunately for us plenty of our talented players seem to be very fragile.

We haven’t lost anybody from our GF 22, yet will hopefully have these senior blokes as options to squeeze in at some point in 2019

Elliott
Moore
Scharenberg
Reid
Beams
Wells
Dunn
Roughead

That is handy depth before you start rattling off kids like Appleby, Daicos n Quaynor who plenty of ‘track watchers’ are bullish about.
Also throw in Broomhead returning from a broken leg, Nathan Murphy (who I really liked the look of in the few opportunities he got last year) and Callum Brown, and that is a handy 'best 36'.

We have some work to do to work out who our best 22 is...

I reckon Collingwood will finish higher on the ladder but aren't any better than the others in my opinion. That midfield group will flog a lot of teams over the season purely on depth of numbers and can see them getting more regular season wins. But come September any of these 4 teams could beat each other on their day

10 player turnover including rookies is par for the course when compared to all the sides.

So nothing out of the ordinary really.

Its not so much the amount of players turned over, its how weve gone about it and who we have picked up over the past 2 off seasons.

2017 draft: Got a steal in Higgins and then took talls as we identified we had a shortage. All have shown something, Balta looks particularly exciting. Also picked up Naish as a F/S who has shown decent form in the VFL.

2018 draft: Got rid of dead wood mids who didnt fit in our game-style, drafted all mids who suit our game-style. Ross and RCD stand outs in preseason so far. Picked up the undrafted Stack who could be an absolute steal.

From having almost no youth in those positions to having RCD/Ross/Turner/Stack/English as mids and Balta/CCJ/Miller/Garthwaite as talls. If half of them turn into AFL quality we have done pretty well.

Oh, and we signed some dude called Tom Lynch, so you can add him to the talls list.

Rich:
Will be taller and have less leg speed with Lynch and another backup ruck, given Grigg is no longer an option after he was exposed in the Prelim - and no, rucking Lynch or Reivolt would be a bad idea, they are rolls royces and if injured dramatically affect Rich flag prospects.
So a loss of speed is the big question mark due to being forced to go taller, and their loss of experienced depth is an issue.

Melb:
I expect Gawn resting forward will be huge for them - even though his kicking is suspect.
With May and Lever back allowing Gawn this role is a huge plus for Melb - but I am still concerned about MELBS performance under pressure, losing so badly last year, and the last RD 2017 where a win would have meant finals, can't be ignored.
I actually think Melb has the best list but their resilience in crunch games is an issue IMO - dare I say the player revolt against the camp last year is instructive on this point.

Coll:
Harder draw - but have substantial upside with Beams, Moore and Elliot.
Roughead chopping out Grundy and thereby allowing Grundy to play fwd or back, is a big positive.
Natural improvement is many young players especially now with the added confidence from performances last year.
Cox will likely be even more dominant up forward in a 6/6/6 environment.

Teams will not underestimate Coll like last year, so that will make the season more difficult.

Rich:
Will be taller and have less leg speed with Lynch and another backup ruck, given Grigg is no longer an option after he was exposed in the Prelim - and no, rucking Lynch or Reivolt would be a bad idea, they are rolls royces and if injured dramatically affect Rich flag prospects.
So a loss of speed is the big question mark due to being forced to go taller, and their loss of experienced depth is an issue.

Melb:
I expect Gawn resting forward will be huge for them - even though his kicking is suspect.
With May and Lever back allowing Gawn this role is a huge plus for Melb - but I am still concerned about MELBS performance under pressure, losing so badly last year, and the last RD 2017 where a win would have meant finals, can't be ignored.
I actually think Melb has the best list but their resilience in crunch games is an issue IMO - dare I say the player revolt against the camp last year is instructive on this point.

Coll:
Harder draw - but have substantial upside with Beams, Moore and Elliot.
Roughead chopping out Grundy and thereby allowing Grundy to play fwd or back, is a big positive.
Natural improvement is many young players especially now with the added confidence from performances last year.
Cox will likely be even more dominant up forward in a 6/6/6 environment.

Teams will not underestimate Coll like last year, so that will make the season more difficult.
Richmond somehow become worse after recruiting Lynch. I love it. Great analysis. Keep it up.

Richmond somehow become worse after recruiting Lynch. I love it. Great analysis. Keep it up.

and collingwood apparently are unbeatable now

cox "even more dominant" lmao turned into superman for 1 game and now hes so, so dominant

Back