Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Patterson had scored 1 first class hundred in the last 2 seasons before his test selection, same as Maxwell.

Maxy was unlucky, he probably would have tonned up in his last game but was extremely unluckily run out at the non strikers end when flying and was unbeaten in his last innings.

If World Cup runs mean anything, why didn’t Maxwell get picked after the last World Cup? Averaged 90, made a hundred and an 88, when he used to bat higher! Now he bats 7 because no one else in the team can go big from ball 1. Doesn’t get the chance to make big scores because the rest of the lineup can’t do his job.

How many are we likely to take over to England as part of the squad?

You'd have to think the XI just about picks itself at this stage, with the reserves mostly up in the air.

Warner
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood / Richardson (with the other also brought across)

Rightly or wrongly I think it's pretty clear you can put a line through Maxwell and Wade.

Reckon we'll see Handscomb in the squad.

Nel_cats

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Tim Paine has announced himself for the A team, so assuming all the test players not in the World Cup will be in it.

Harris, Patterson, Lyon, Paine, Pucovski, Renshaw, Tremain, Siddle, Holland probably all in the A squad.

Be interesting to see if Wade gets a gig
You don't think they'll take lyon as a back up spinner for the WC

Tim Paine has announced himself for the A team, so assuming all the test players not in the World Cup will be in it.

Harris, Patterson, Lyon, Paine, Pucovski, Renshaw, Tremain, Siddle, Holland probably all in the A squad.

Given recent events would they take Pukovski? On talent he’s there but is he ready? (I don’t profess to be a doctor so I’d leave that decision to others).

Rather look at Worrell or someone like that than Siddle who would be playing county cricket anyway.

The others I recon you have spot on. Reserve keeper is an absolute raffle.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
You don't think they'll take lyon as a back up spinner for the WC

Given World Cup squads are limited, no I wouldn't bother wasting a spot on Lyon. They are more likely to play 4 quicks if they drop Zampa anyway and Lyon isn't up to it.

Given recent events would they take Pukovski? On talent he’s there but is he ready? (I don’t profess to be a doctor so I’d leave that decision to others).

Rather look at Worrell or someone like that than Siddle who would be playing county cricket anyway.

The others I recon you have spot on. Reserve keeper is an absolute raffle.

I'm assuming it will be another 14-15 man squad so they'll have 30 players in the 2 squads so I reckon they'll have Siddle in the A squad, would probably be the most experienced bowler as there isn't a lot of fast bowler experience given their refusal to ever change the attack when fit.

I'd hope so, he may have just wanted to get back and play some cricket, I believe he played on the weekend.

Given World Cup squads are limited, no I wouldn't bother wasting a spot on Lyon. They are more likely to play 4 quicks if they drop Zampa anyway and Lyon isn't up to it.

I'm assuming it will be another 14-15 man squad so they'll have 30 players in the 2 squads so I reckon they'll have Siddle in the A squad, would probably be the most experienced bowler as there isn't a lot of fast bowler experience given their refusal to ever change the attack when fit.

I'd hope so, he may have just wanted to get back and play some cricket, I believe he played on the weekend.

Lyon in the WC squad is a joke, just play Zampa + you have Head/Maxwell, etc as part timers. That’s enough. Lyon isn’t great in 50 over cricket anyway.

Yeah look I wouldn’t be shocked if Siddle goes on the A tour although personally I’d be looking at a Worrell or a Sayers (if fit).

Wait and see on Pukovski. As I said on talent he is picked.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
No the last time he was in the test team he played against Bangladesh...2 tests and didn't score a hundred

Also in 90 ODI he has scored ONLY 1 hundred ....that's not good enough for a player of his talent

I don't care what anyone says about him being treated...the only way for him to be picked for the test team is to score hundreds.

I would like to know how you expect him to do that though given the schedule he is being asked to play

Sep 5, 2007
Gippsland, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nashville predators
Maxwell has been given the opportunity in 90 ODI to score more than 1 hundred....he has only been playing at 7 recently

The simple fact is Maxwell is batting down the order because he cannot score hundreds in the top 6..thats fact...I am not lying I want him to score hundreds but so far he has not !!

The only way....I stress the only way for Maxwell to get into the test team....is to grab his opportunity in any form of cricket and score big

If he is only playing 1 shield game ...so what make it count...score big ...bat up the order and score runs !!!

If he is playing down the order in the ODI coming up which most likely he is...score runs !! force himself up the order

There are plenty of opportunities where Australia has been 4/5 down for not much...and Maxwell has been given overs to make a score ..to bat to the end and score a substantial score. Remember Bevan the finisher??? batted with the tail...finished games off when we chasing..making substantial scores...that's what Maxwell should be doing

Instead we see Maxwell come out smack a quick 30/40 odd and then get out with balls to spare....that's not what the selectors want

I hope I really do that Maxwell has an awesome world cup...because he has the talent that's what frustrates me the most ..he is good enough ..he just needs to be smarter when he bats....and make it count !!

For what it’s worth, Steve Waugh only scored 3 tons in ODI cricket

Hundreds aren’t easy to get down the order

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

Add Burns.

Add Lambshanks.

You can also add Hazlewood also, I doubt he goes to the World Cup and if he’s not fit for the A tour he probably doesn’t play in the Ashes.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they want Khawaja on this tour over the World Cup also to get some time in the middle in England with Head, Lynn, Short, Smith, Warner, Marsh, Finch, Maxwell and Stoinis ahead of him imo.

I see Siddle potentially being squad bowler for the WC.

I reckon the bowling attack for this will be Hazlewood, Tremain, Worrell with Lambshanks getting more overs than normal.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
That's crap. They actually appear to have gone out of their way to prevent him playing FC Cricket last off-season. The last time he was in the Test team he scored one of the better hundreds I have seen from an Australian batsman in recent memory.

You can't seriously criticise him for playing big shots in the Big Bash and other short form cricket. If you'd actually watched him play FC cricket in the last 2 years you wouldn't say that.

How about Kurtis Patterson and others who have jumped in front of him for the ashes series because of playing Sri Lanka take over his spot in the 1 day and T20 team in the lead up to the World Cup,bat them at 7 and stress it is important you get 100's and Maxi goes back and plays shield cricket.I know who will produce the goods if we did this.Realise this will never happen but struggle to understand why he is not playing test cricket over the last 12/15 months.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Add Burns.

Add Lambshanks.

You can also add Hazlewood also, I doubt he goes to the World Cup and if he’s not fit for the A tour he probably doesn’t play in the Ashes.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they want Khawaja on this tour over the World Cup also to get some time in the middle in England with Head, Lynn, Short, Smith, Warner, Marsh, Finch, Maxwell and Stoinis ahead of him imo.

I see Siddle potentially being squad bowler for the WC.

I reckon the bowling attack for this will be Hazlewood, Tremain, Worrell with Lambshanks getting more overs than normal.

Forgot about those 2 and Khawaja definitely should not be in the WC squad either. Although I’d be taking Handscomb not Short or Lynn.

Not sure on Hazlewood, they are so adamant playing their big 3 so if he’s fot he’ll be there. Plus no one has really demanded a spot for them to vary from their preferred attack

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
All I know is I’m about a million times more confident watching Patterson walk out to the middle 4 down then I would be seeing Maxwell strut out there.

All I know is I’m about a million times more confident watching Patterson walk out to the middle 4 down then I would be seeing Maxwell strut out there.

Personally exactly how I feel too

I would feel confidant about any Shield cricketer walking out and facing that Sri Lanka attack.

I’d rather have Patterson in against a duke ball. Having a batsman who usually bats 3 coming in at 6 in Patterson helps protect us from a wicket or two early

Stopher

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2012
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
When he's not reminiscing about the good old days or continuing to hold grudges, Chappelli still has some solid ideas on the game.

He's absolutely spot on about Khawaja.

Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m still of the opinion that if Renshaw scores bulk runs in the 2nd half of the shield and county (if a team picks him up) again that he should leap frog Burns and Harris. He averages over 60 against the dukes and obviously has the runs on the board in English conditions. I think he has the best game to succeed over there, provided he is in form.
Would love to see Renshaw find form and slot straight back in. He is a long term played and hopefully the selectors will stop stuffing him around.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
So who has signed for a county team? Any looking like signing?
https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/45263823

Brancroft (Durham)
Siddle (Essex)
Zampa (Essex T20)
S Marsh (Glamorgan)
Worrall (Gloucestershire)
Klinger (Gloucestershire T20)
Christian (Nottinghamshire T20)
Ferguson (Worcestershire)
Burns (Lancashire for 10 County games)
Maxwell (Lancashire, presumably for all the rest)

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Forgot about those 2 and Khawaja definitely should not be in the WC squad either. Although I’d be taking Handscomb not Short or Lynn.

Not sure on Hazlewood, they are so adamant playing their big 3 so if he’s fot he’ll be there. Plus no one has really demanded a spot for them to vary from their preferred attack

Obviously a lot to play out over the next few months, but my Australia A touring side would be along the lines of:

Harris
Burns
Renshaw
Khawaja
Patterson
Labuschagne
Paine
Tremain
Lyon
Hazlewood
Worrall

They will want a look at Renshaw given his record in CC last year. You could interchange him or Labuschagne for Pucovski if he's cleared by then. Siddle or Boland for Hazlewood he makes the world cup.

Then with the remnants of the remaining World Cup Squad, the Australia A vs Australia 4 day tour match along the lines of:

Warner
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

vs

Renshaw
Harris
Finch
S.Marsh
Labuschagne
Maxwell
Stoinis
Carey
Richardson
Siddle
Tremain

Labuschagne and Maxwell to bowl the spin, I would swap Richardson and Hazlewood depending on Richardson's end to the shield season. I would have Wade in there, but I don't think he makes the A tour tbh given the lack of crossover between the test side and ODI side at the moment and he probably isn't making the world cup squad. They won't have players from outside these two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back