News Pre-season supplemental selection period between December 1 and March 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Other players will be our linebreakers. It makes no sense to say that if Cripps is in his best position, the one he is elite in, then we are in trouble. He has the best hands in traffic in the comp for mine.

Quicker players such as Dow, Fisher, Setterfield and Murphy will be our linebreakers.

Incidentally, the post was in response to someone saying Stack is an inside mid and would have been more useful to us. Another teenage inside mid not good enough to be drafted as yet, would not have helped us much.

Stack was good enough to be drafted in the second round. But he had serious off field issues that he needed to work on.

Stack was good enough to be drafted in the second round. But he had serious off field issues that he needed to work on.
He’s no guarantee to make it, but signs so far at training have been that in contested situations he knows where the ball is going to end up, weaves out of traffic with relative ease then deliver out to a runner.

Looks an interesting prospect no doubt.

We are still making our cake. We're not ready for the cream.

Our cream type players really struggle in our side over the last couple of years.

I used to struggle coming up with the cream for the cake but that was because I was taking antidepressants.

Mick Gibbons and Matthew Cottrell officially signed by Carlton today.

Sneaky feeling Gibbons is going to get senior games, even as early as Round 1.

Great to see some guys getting an opportunity to live their dream. I hope they do well for you guys
Hearing they are absolutely smashing the younger kids both the match sim and the running, Gibbons in particular.

Both a credit to them, but an indictment on the younger players. Hopefully they are the inspiration to the others that you can’t take it for granted.

Hoping both do well and keeps the VFL as a pathway for mature talent.

Hearing they are absolutely smashing the younger kids both the match sim and the running, Gibbons in particular.

Both a credit to them, but an indictment on the younger players. Hopefully they are the inspiration to the others that you can’t take it for granted.

Hoping both do well and keeps the VFL as a pathway for mature talent.

Cottrell beat Ed Curnow in our time trial. Considering Ed is one of the better endurance athletes in the AFL, it is more a reflection on Cottrell than our kids.

Incidentally Walsh is up there too. Some players are more suited to endurance running down others.

Also, Gibbons has been outstanding in match sim. He's actually a mature aged, experienced football player. Cottrell hasn't been beating the other kids though.

Cottrell beat Ed Curnow in our time trial. Considering Ed is one of the better endurance athletes in the AFL, it is more a reflection on Cottrell than our kids.

Incidentally Walsh is up there too. Some players are more suited to endurance running down others.

Also, Gibbons has been outstanding in match sim. He's actually a mature aged, experienced football player. Cottrell hasn't been beating the other kids though.
Yeah Gibbons has been the one that’s been extremely impressive against the kids in both the match sim and the endurance work. Walsh up there too.
Carlton would have been hoping the third and forth year mids would be showing similar leaps at this time as well.

Hoping Gibbons is your Kane Lambert and it looks at this stage as if he’s leapfrogged a few to have a crack in the midfield for round one.

Only Gibbons has been killing it in match sim. Cottrell has been so-so in the skills, and really good in the running components as we expected.

Yeah Gibbons has been the one that’s been extremely impressive against the kids in both the match sim and the endurance work. Walsh up there too.
Carlton would have been hoping the third and forth year mids would be showing similar leaps at this time as well.

Hoping Gibbons is your Kane Lambert and it looks at this stage as if he’s leapfrogged a few to have a crack in the midfield for round one.

Gibbons is almost a certainty for round 1 for mine.

Of the 4th year players, Charlie, Weiters and Big H are all looking awesome.

3rd years, Samo and Fish are looking great.

Nothing for us to worry about there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbons is almost a certainty for round 1 for mine.

Of the 4th year players, Charlie, Weiters and Big H are all looking awesome.

3rd years, Samo and Fish are looking great.

Nothing for us to worry about there.

Yeah you guys have a dearth of midfielders.

Not sure why you are bringing talls into the Gibbons discussion. It’s not their spot he’s taking.

It’s the inside/outside midfield role- think SPS/Cuningham. These are his peers. Seems he’s in front of these guys this pre season. Even the speculative forward pocket players who Bolton would have hoped had have improved their endurance to have a run in the middle like Garlett and Pickett.

Great he’s getting the chance and hopefully it gives the others the kick up the arse to improve.

Even at this stage he’s probably stamped Darcy Lang’s papers. And yes Fisher if fit would be ahead of him. Good talent.

Yeah you guys have a dearth of midfielders.

Not sure why you are bringing talls into the Gibbons discussion. It’s not their spot he’s taking.

It’s the inside/outside midfield role- think SPS/Cuningham. These are his peers. Seems he’s in front of these guys this pre season. Even the speculative forward pocket players who Bolton would have hoped had have improved their endurance to have a run in the middle like Garlett and Pickett.

Great he’s getting the chance and hopefully it gives the others the kick up the arse to improve.

Even at this stage he’s probably stamped Darcy Lang’s papers. And yes Fisher if fit would be ahead of him. Good talent.

He's not getting games ahead of SPS either. Cuningham yes. That's the only 3rd or 4th year mid from the draft. Nothing to worry about.

Cripps, Curnow, Murphy, SPS, Fisher, Kennedy, Setterfield, Dow, O'Brien, Walsh, Stocker and Gibbons.

I think our rotations are looking much better.

Plowman Jones Simpson
Marchbank Weitering Newman

Murphy* Cripps O'Brien
Kreuzer Dow Fisher

Murphy C Curnow SPS
McKay McGovern E Curnow*

Walsh Gibbons Setterfield Thomas

* Based on where we have been trialling them match sims.

So Gibbons isn't really stealing games from the young mids we have great hopes for, aside from first year Stocker.

Last edited:
He's not getting games ahead of SPS either. Cuningham yes. That's the only 3rd or 4th year mid from the draft. Nothing to worry about.

Cripps, Curnow, Murphy, SPS, Fisher, Kennedy, Setterfield, Dow, O'Brien, Walsh, Stocker and Gibbons.

Plowman Jones Simpson

Murphy* Cripps O'Brien
Kreuzer Dow Fisher

Murphy C Curnow SPS
McKay McGovern E Curnow*

So Gibbons isn't really stealing games from the young mids we have great hopes for, aside from first year Stocker.
Cunningham is the player that could be most effected by Gibbons getting a spot and will have his work cut out to make a spot on the list his imo

Plowman Jones Simpson

Murphy* Cripps O'Brien
Kreuzer Dow Fisher

Murphy C Curnow SPS
McKay McGovern E Curnow*

That’s a lot of midfielders in the team.
Will be interesting to see if they do play Murphy, SPS, E Curnow as the forwards or go for a more traditional small forward player. Can see the ball coming out of your forwardline quite quickly if they set up the way you expect them to.

Which is easier finding a good inside mid or getting an outside line breaker who wins games.
Carlton already has Cripps, but they don't have any support for him.
And as mention, if Cripps is the main inside player then Carlton will not win a lot of games. The Cripps they need is playing more like Dusty, Fyfe, Dangerfield. that Cripps will win them games.
Therefore they seriously need to find a Solid inside mid, Today, Cripps will still some inside work same as the ones I mention, but they win there games for the teams on the outside.
They missed the boat of top quality inside mids and now need to look at the VFL, SANFL, WAFL for an OK stopgap until there inexperience young kids guys take control. otherwise, they a going down the same path as GC, and Melbourne prior to Roos.
Your football knowledge is severely lacking or is this just another trolling attemp ?...either way you are dead wrong ..but i guess you hear that a lot

Your football knowledge is severely lacking or is this just another trolling attemp ?...either way you are dead wrong ..but i guess you hear that a lot

Then my football knowledge is s**t, By the way, how did your team go when Cripps was the best player on the ground playing as an Inside mid, against Us in the last home and away game. he played a great game, but why he was getting the ball he was not delivering the ball inside 50. He was not taking marks inside 50's why because he the only inside mid you have that can find the ball.
If You do not get him help and allow one of your best line breakers to play both inside and outside, then you will struggle to win games this year.
OR are you happy if the majority of Cripps disposal are handballs, Are you happy that you have one of the most promising tall forward groups in the comp and your best player handball rather than deliver the ball to them?
We are talking a big bodied mid 195cm who can take a good mark who also happen to have the power to run with the ball being held back because of he the only player you have or use to getting hard inside ball.
A 195cm player who can take a mark but spends his time on the ground fighting for the ball, Let alone a Player who can stretch a team defence if he was resting on the forward flank more.

Like I said If Cripps is playing as you main inside mid then Carlton are in trouble, you need some solid depth in that area and the Kids need time to develop.

Then my football knowledge is s**t, By the way, how did your team go when Cripps was the best player on the ground playing as an Inside mid, against Us in the last home and away game. he played a great game, but why he was getting the ball he was not delivering the ball inside 50. He was not taking marks inside 50's why because he the only inside mid you have that can find the ball.
If You do not get him help and allow one of your best line breakers to play both inside and outside, then you will struggle to win games this year.
OR are you happy if the majority of Cripps disposal are handballs, Are you happy that you have one of the most promising tall forward groups in the comp and your best player handball rather than deliver the ball to them?
We are talking a big bodied mid 195cm who can take a good mark who also happen to have the power to run with the ball being held back because of he the only player you have or use to getting hard inside ball.
A 195cm player who can take a mark but spends his time on the ground fighting for the ball, Let alone a Player who can stretch a team defence if he was resting on the forward flank more.

Like I said If Cripps is playing as you main inside mid then Carlton are in trouble, you need some solid depth in that area and the Kids need time to develop.
We haven't missed the boat on anything. Had a look at Adelaides under 25's and compared it to Carltons. another 3 to 4 years it will be a different story and your not seeing it coming..

We haven't missed the boat on anything. Had a look at Adelaides under 25's and compared it to Carltons. another 3 to 4 years it will be a different story and your not seeing it coming..

Don't care about missed boats, but Carlton need support for Cripps, and they have an opportunity, thru the AFL supplemental selection period. to get help. if your list going forward is good you only need a decent inside player for a couple of years.
And no matter how hard I look 3 year time is not this year. and it this year Cripps needs help.
Remember he is a WA lad get him help and wins on the board today because if you don't he may not be around in 4 years time. He restricted Free agent in 2021. And SPS, McKay, Weitering are not going to be cheap signings.

Don't care about missed boats, but Carlton need support for Cripps, and they have an opportunity, thru the AFL supplemental selection period. to get help. if your list going forward is good you only need a decent inside player for a couple of years.
And no matter how hard I look 3 year time is not this year. and it this year Cripps needs help.
Remember he is a WA lad get him help and wins on the board today because if you don't he may not be around in 4 years time. He restricted Free agent in 2021. And SPS, McKay, Weitering are not going to be cheap signings.

We are not going to pick up a Cripps replacement in the supplemental draft. Kennedy is almost 22 and our intended replacement. Setterfield another. Dow and SPS as well. Gibbons will do some of the work.

Cripps plays predominantly in the packs as he has the height, skill and vision to get the ball out to advantage. Running free and spotting up forwards is not his best skill. Contested marking is something he really added last year. We have 3 tall marking forwards in our best 22 so a 4th is unnecessary.

Cripps is our captain and the side is building. Losing him is not something we need to seriously worry about just yet.

We are not going to pick up a Cripps replacement in the supplemental draft. Kennedy is almost 22 and our intended replacement. Setterfield another. Dow and SPS as well. Gibbons will do some of the work.

Cripps plays predominantly in the packs as he has the height, skill and vision to get the ball out to advantage. Running free and spotting up forwards is not his best skill. Contested marking is something he really added last year. We have 3 tall marking forwards in our best 22 so a 4th is unnecessary.

Cripps is our captain and the side is building. Losing him is not something we need to seriously worry about just yet.

You don't get a Cripps replacement you get a player who can carry some of the inside work week-in-week-out. At the moment you support role players are kids who are still learning the trade,
But fine with me As a crows supporter, I want you to Play Cripps as the inside mid all year,

You don't get a Cripps replacement you get a player who can carry some of the inside work week-in-week-out. At the moment you support role players are kids who are still learning the trade,
But fine with me As a crows supporter, I want you to Play Cripps as the inside mid all year,

We have players who can carry some of the inside work week after week. They are just not as good as Cripps at doing it ... not many players are.

We have players who can carry some of the inside work week after week. They are just not as good as Cripps at doing it ... not many players are.

Then you should be OK and allow Cripps to spend time delivering the ball to Curnow, McKay and McGovern,
Cripps is one of your best players and given room one of your best ball users.
But no your Coach plays him as an inside mid because there is nobody else, you should look at the VFL, SANFL WAFL and get a good inside mid to take the burden of Cripps at and more importantly allow these Kids to develop their game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back