Games that left you shell shocked?

Remove this Banner Ad

I look at the thread title and I get you got all excited about an angle to talk about the 2016 prelim. Will you be able to keep it for say, the next 61 years?

Better to have loved and lost than never had at all

That Petrenko goal in the last seconds of the North Melbourne game was pretty crazy. I lost my s**t. Couldn't believe the Kangas let us back in.

Was about mention this game (or quarter at least).

My jaw hit the floor. Especially considering how many time North has chances to just run down the clock

Geelong vs Port Adelaide GF 2007

Didn't see that coming.

West Coast vs Hawthorn R13 2009.

Hawks up at 3qtr time and enter NicNat in his third game. Wow!

Geelong vs Hawthorn R2 2018.

Finally winning a close Easter Monday match against the old rival. I couldn't even cheer.

Round 4 2018 Coll v Adel
Went on a brief holiday to Adelaide to watch the game, fully expecting to get our asses handed but just wanted to experience Adelaide Oval for the first time.
Ended up being one of the best footy experiences I've had and it was that game that I thought "Gee, we could actually make finals"

148 was shocking (didn’t think we’d win but thought we’d make a contest after the debacle vs Port the prior week and all the talk about what a great pre-season we had), last year’s prelim as well, my first final which I paid through the nose to attend and we got slaughtered. Was sitting with a group of Dees fans on the wing while the rest of the stadium was going nuts, a chastening experience to say the least.

The flip side was when we beat Essendon in 2012, they were on the gear at the point in the season with an 8-1 to 9-0 record. When we met them we had the worst coach in the club’s history but we somehow beat them, with Col Garland playing a Wayne Careyesque cameo in the final quarter to put them away. Still remember the last minute, Hird watching in horror from the box, as James Sellar cleared their last attack and then attacking upfield to close it out. Was the one and only game Neeld won versus a non-expansion club in his tenure at the MFC.

Smashing Geelong in the QF in 2017. Can’t believe we bullied them into oblivion.

This is the one for me, I had talked myself into thinking we would get you eventually during that game.
Playing Richmond in a final seemed like a gift, we never lose to you.
I wasn’t just shocked at losing but shocked by how much you got away.

Fast forward 1 year, my respect for how you played footy went way up but than I was shell shocked at how you lost to Collingwood by so much. I couldn’t believe it.

This is the one for me, I had talked myself into thinking we would get you eventually during that game.
Playing Richmond in a final seemed like a gift, we never lose to you.
I wasn’t just shocked at losing but shocked by how much you got away.

Fast forward 1 year, my respect for how you played footy went way up but than I was shell shocked at how you lost to Collingwood by so much. I couldn’t believe it.
The media and BigFooty overstated the gap between us and the rest of the competition. A lot of Tiger fans were wary of a side getting us at the final hurdle, but it happened earlier than expected. We were the most consistent team throughout the 2018 season, but who the best side was is still up for debate IMO. It’s hard to deny West Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would also like to ad the Richmond game at Subiaco in 2017.

First ever loss in a home match by over 100 points.....to a team that rarely wins by over 100 points.

Hawkins after the siren during the height of the "Kennett curse"... Thought it was over, should have been over... wasn't. The scenes were ridiculous and the sound coming out of the crowd was like thunder, didn't even hear the siren.

2016 EF. Worst experience of any game I went to, which is a shame because it was my first final and has put me off going to another one. I suppose at Perth Stadium I'd at least be spared from sitting on the broken wooden bench.
haha exactly the same. was my first ever final I attended. Went there full of cofidence with my GF at the time who was a new dogs fans (she moved from sweden a year earlier and just picked the dogs on a whim midway through the 2016 season). Was saying to her all week that it might not be enjoyable for her as we would just win by heaps and not to judge the live experience of the sport on this one game. Boy how wrong I was, i just sat there with head in hands whilst she jumped around saying how awesome live footy was. I think 41,000 that night were just sitting there in stunned silence by the last quarter, they made us look like muppets that night the ol bulldogs.

2nd showdown of 2013, sat in the stand after the final siren in disbelief having just witnessed what happened in those last 5 minutes.

Gold Coast beating Sydney at the SCG by 4 goals last year.

Where the actual **** did that come from? Game looked over at QT then Sydney went to sleep. 6-0 second quarter, 2-0 second quarter, 3-2 last quarter in terms of goals scored.

agreed... *ing weird

I reiterate my fellow eagles' supporters re: the 2016 EF :'( .
There are too many examples to list, so sticking to Eagles' games from last year alone, I and most other people at the ground were shellshocked by our performance against Essendon. On the flipside, I was certainly positively shocked at the second half of our R17 game v the pies after losing NicNat.

First ever loss in a home match by over 100 points.....to a team that rarely wins by over 100 points.
Pretty much every Round 22 game from Fremantle has been shell shocking lately, especially considering that Fremantle started pretty decently in all of these matches.

Round 22, 2016 against GWS (Spotless) - were only trailing 34-27 at quarter time against GWS after a late goal and a behind from GWS. Went on to kick 10 more points for the match to GWS’ 95 to lose by 92 points.
Round 22, 2017 against Richmond (Subiaco) - were dominating Richmond and were up 22-18 at quarter time. Go on to kick 29 more points to Richmond’s 137 points to lose by 104 points at home.
Round 22, 2018 against Geelong (Kardinia Park) - up 20-11 at quarter time. Go on to kick 5 more points for the match to Geelong’s 147 points to lose by 133 points.

The Richmond one was strange though given that it was in Perth.

And you guys lead at quarter time or at the very least it was pretty much even. We just couldn’t miss at all. Kicked 25.5 after rarely being above 50% all year

Fremantle v Melbourne MCG 2008.

I've seen maybe 15-20 Freo games live. Somehow both of the games you've listed I've been at. As well as games in Brisbane just before they were at the height of their powers where we were thrashed twice by 100 points (one of which we were down by over 100 at half time and proceeded to lose the second half by less than a kick) and a game we were up by 15 points 10 minutes into the last quarter before losing by close to 10 goals. (99, 00 & 01)

On the plus side I was there for the only final ever played at Kardinia Park. That was a positive shellshock as I didn't give us a chance. A really great day.

Safe to say I'm pretty immune to shellshock these days. Although I would say I have footy-related liver cirrhosis however...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back