Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree 46 goals is a great return. My concern is the most he has kicked before last yr was 21 goals in a yr and im asking was last yr an abberation or is it going to be the norm.

I thought his 2015 and 2016 seasons where he spent a substantial amount of time as a mid pretty decent. He went at 20 disposals a game both seasons but he won a fair bit of ball averaging 10 and 8 contested possesions each yr.in 2015 he averaged a very respectable 5 clearances a game as well as 5.5 tackles a game in 2015 i reckon he showed he can play midfield and i think he backed that up in 2016 even though that yr was not as good as 2015.

I dont think theres any doubt he can play in the midfield but imo he needs to be a contested beast which is exactly what we are after.
It could be an out of the box year or it could be he never before had those circumstances to play that role.

I have no idea if long term he is a mid or a forward, but at least we know he can play tall and be a marking target if we need another forward option.

Likely he will play a mix of forward and midfield, I think they will push him more to the midfield though with Lynch now.

Saw Josh a couple of weeks ago at the Australian open and got a photo with him, never realised how huge he is. His performances in the forward line last year show how good he is there and I believe his size and strength shouldn't be wasted by spending the majority of his time in the midfield. He's a beast forward and an average mid.

Actually I reckon Caddy is a good mid and very good forward. IMHO we should be rotating Josh and Dusty mid and forward all game all year. Resting them, putting a big body in the middle and causing mismatches.

Cads can be a really dominant player. He's right now a basically AA grade medium forward, and B grade mid. There's no reason he can't be a better mid and just as good a forward.

Actually I reckon Caddy is a good mid and very good forward. IMHO we should be rotating Josh and Dusty mid and forward all game all year. Resting them, putting a big body in the middle and causing mismatches.

Cads can be a really dominant player. He's right now a basically AA grade medium forward, and B grade mid. There's no reason he can't be a better mid and just as good a forward.

There is a reason why he can't be a better mid. Geelong found that out most of his career and we found out in his first year. He doesn't have the ability to play any greater role than as a rotating mid in bursts. As a mid, what we've seen is about as good as we're going to get from Caddy. We need to look elsewhere for more impact in our midfield.

That's not being anti Caddy. I love what he has brought to our side and he has made a massive difference and will continue to do so. I am just being realistic.

There is a reason why he can't be a better mid. Geelong found that out most of his career and we found out in his first year. He doesn't have the ability to play any greater role than as a rotating mid in bursts. As a mid, what we've seen is about as good as we're going to get from Caddy. We need to look elsewhere for more impact in our midfield.

That's not being anti Caddy. I love what he has brought to our side and he has made a massive difference and will continue to do so. I am just being realistic.

I think it was more circumstantial than anything else that he was played predominantly forward for us - and with great success too. He had decent midfield numbers for Geelong in 2015 and 2016, and he strikes me as one those mids who only needs 20-25 touches to really impact games. What I mean by this is, he's a penetrating kick and knows where the goals are. Add to this his better than average contested marking and size and you've got the makings of a well rounded attacking midfielder.

I'm still pretty bullish on his chances of being that other big body mid for us.

Depends quite what you mean. He's a good impact player but doesn't seem to dominate contests. To my eye all Caddy needs to do to be a good AFL mid is improve his ability to get to contests and link up plays a bit. He's solid, but no star. A small improvement in getting to those moments will allow him to really improve his stats and be that all round player he can be. Part footy smarts, part fitness, part how he plays his role. We'll see in 2019.

People quickly forget what Caddy is like in the middle. We recruited him to play MID!
As it turned out, we continued to use Martin/Cotchin/Prestia/Edwards/Grigg/Lambert in the middle instead and keep Caddy forward because of his big frame and contested marking.

Caddy deserves to play in the guts a lot more now considering we have Lynch. We have always needed another bull to support Martin/Cotchin. Prestia is great but needs to string quite a few games together without getting injured. Graham is in a similiar boat.

Caddy also played more on ball in last years JLT games and looked very good. When the real season started, he predominantly played close to goal. I think it's time we see Caddy play more on ball and rest up forward only for short periods. A good rotation would be between him Rioli and Higgins.

In 2015
20.4 disposals of which 10.2 were contested with 5.1 clearances and 5.6 tackles a game sort of says he has had a good impact and performed a pretty decent role as a mid already.

For the life of me i can see no reason why he cant get back to that sort of output if he works at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was recruited as a big bodied mid and we gave him a guarantee of getting more midfield time as he was being squeezed out of that role at Geelong.
That is an incorrect notion that has become fact, pushed by upset Cats fans.

Chompers himself told me (and others from this board) he doesn't enjoy midfield and wants to be a forward.
He left Geelong because he had a falling out with the club, not any positional issue.

Saw Josh a couple of weeks ago at the Australian open and got a photo with him, never realised how huge he is. His performances in the forward line last year show how good he is there and I believe his size and strength shouldn't be wasted by spending the majority of his time in the midfield. He's a beast forward and an average mid.
agree. he doesn't have the engine to be a mid. forward with an occasional run on ball for mine.

People quickly forget what Caddy is like in the middle. We recruited him to play MID!
As it turned out, we continued to use Martin/Cotchin/Prestia/Edwards/Grigg/Lambert in the middle instead and keep Caddy forward because of his big frame and contested marking.

Caddy deserves to play in the guts a lot more now considering we have Lynch. We have always needed another bull to support Martin/Cotchin. Prestia is great but needs to string quite a few games together without getting injured. Graham is in a similiar boat.

Caddy also played more on ball in last years JLT games and looked very good. When the real season started, he predominantly played close to goal. I think it's time we see Caddy play more on ball and rest up forward only for short periods. A good rotation would be between him Rioli and Higgins.
Yep! And makes me wonder if Graham might find himself under the pump. I know he plays a more run with role than Caddy would, but bring Caddy into mid rotations means, with Higgins as well, and perhaps Rioli, sees Graham getting nudged out imo.

Yep! And makes me wonder if Graham might find himself under the pump. I know he plays a more run with role than Caddy would, but bring Caddy into mid rotations means, with Higgins as well, and perhaps Rioli, sees Graham getting nudged out imo.

Maybe. We're certainly going to have players under pressure to perform. Jack Graham possibly/probably is still best 22. But he probably needs to get more of the ball now.

Good thing to have though. I imagine Jack G at VFL would be a ball magnet. Much reduced need to bash and crash to allow Cotch, Dusty etc room. Might help him a lot if he can just get ball. However I want him in the AFL team. Problems problems :moustache:

In 2015
20.4 disposals of which 10.2 were contested with 5.1 clearances and 5.6 tackles a game sort of says he has had a good impact and performed a pretty decent role as a mid already.

For the life of me i can see no reason why he cant get back to that sort of output if he works at it.

Geelong finished 10th in 2015, their midfield was woeful.
15th in total disposals,
18th in contested possessions,
18th in overall clearances
13th in centre clearances
15th in uncontested possessions

Maybe that tells a greater tale.
Josh struggles to find a more permanent place in a good midfield.

Geelong finished 10th in 2015, their midfield was woeful.
15th in total disposals,
18th in contested possessions,
18th in overall clearances
13th in centre clearances
15th in uncontested possessions

Maybe that tells a greater tale.
Josh struggles to find a more permanent place in a good midfield.

What sort of logic is that geelong had a bad yr and its all down to Caddy despite him having a good season.
Where he won plenty of ball, clearances, tackles, and contested ball it wasnt because of Caddy they were poor in those areas in 2014.
That same midfield won 17 games in 2014 and 18 in in 2016 was that all down to Caddy too.

I tell you what you apply the same standards to our mids when they average 20 disposals a game with 10 of them contested and 5 clearances a game with over 100 tackles for the yr and say they are no good or not good enough or cant play in the role.
Fact is if any of our mids had a season like that you woulod be over the moon and letting everyone know about it.

I have issues with Caddy but i will acknowledge a good season when i see one. But hey iyo his 2015 was shizen and not good enough.

What sort of logic is that geelong had a bad yr and its all down to Caddy despite him having a good season.
Where he won plenty of ball, clearances, tackles, and contested ball it wasnt because of Caddy they were poor in those areas in 2014.
That same midfield won 17 games in 2014 and 18 in in 2016 was that all down to Caddy too.

I tell you what you apply the same standards to our mids when they average 20 disposals a game with 10 of them contested and 5 clearances a game with over 100 tackles for the yr and say they are no good or not good enough or cant play in the role.
Fact is if any of our mids had a season like that you woulod be over the moon and letting everyone know about it.

I have issues with Caddy but i will acknowledge a good season when i see one. But hey iyo his 2015 was shizen and not good enough.

The logic that says he cant get into a better than average midfield. Don't take my word for it. Ignoring his first 2 years at GC he couldn't find a permanent spot as a mid in his 4 years at Geelong and his 2 at Richmond. He just isn't rated as a genuine mid by far better judges than you and me.

I think there is another slant on his performances
when first at Richmond he looked like was feeling his way into a new club/team
a lot of us didn't embrace him and his performances were so so and kicking for goal was woeful

then in the run to the finals things started coming together and he played with more confidence
and I'd put more than he ever has

2018 was a pretty spectacular year for him , he exceeded everyones expectations
he played with high confidence and also showed leadership and maturity at times
in one game when he flew for a mark , un realistic attempt , Grimmes ran past and gave him a tap on the noggin
the next day I saw Josh being interviewed and he was asked about it and he said Grimmes inferred use you head and do the team thing
they way he responded it sounded like he had full respect for Grimmes and his on the ground feedback

this season he will have some different challenges thrown at him and some he hasn't done well at in the past
but I think he's up for it because of the way he is going about it and the environment he is in

The logic that says he cant get into a better than average midfield. Don't take my word for it. Ignoring his first 2 years at GC he couldn't find a permanent spot as a mid in his 4 years at Geelong and his 2 at Richmond. He just isn't rated as a genuine mid by far better judges than you and me.
You see thats where we differ he went to Geelong and broke into a midfield that had already won three premierships' it took him two seasons to do so. He had two very good seasons playing thru there and then came to us. But hey it was only an average midfield lol. As i said i hope you apply the same standards to our players as you do others.

With your logic we may as well say martin cant play midfield because our mids were shizen in 2016 its a nonsense.
In anyones language as a big inside mid 20 disposals is very passable, 10 contested A grade, 5 clearances A grade, 5 tackles A grade yet because Geelong as a whole were poor Caddy's yr was woeful FAIR ENOUGH no arguing against that.

That is an incorrect notion that has become fact, pushed by upset Cats fans.

Chompers himself told me (and others from this board) he doesn't enjoy midfield and wants to be a forward.
He left Geelong because he had a falling out with the club, not any positional issue.

Not true at all, he wanted more midfield time.
As told to afl.com.au on the day of his arrival at Tigerland;

Caddy will have more of an opportunity to play predominately in the midfield at the Tigers and has been given a generous four-ye

The 24-year-old was originally drafted to the Suns with pick seven in the 2010 NAB AFL Draft.

He has spent the past four seasons with the Cats after being traded at the end of 2012.

Caddy played 18 games this year, including both of Geelong's finals games, averaging 20.9 possessions per game, but had to fight for time in the midfield.

"I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a huge consideration in the decision," Caddy said.

"Geelong's midfield has so much depth with the players they have brought in in the last few years.

"Two weeks ago I was happy to stay and keep fighting for a spot in that midfield."

Source: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-20/geelong-midfielder-josh-caddy-traded-to-richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back