• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Multis are for fun, not for making long term money.

Not many if any people including pros making long term profits with primarily multi betting.

2 main reasons are the bookies edge is magnified at each leg and as you get more legs let's say you hit 7/8 the entire bet is lost. Hit 7/8 singles and your very likely in the profits.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
And what bets do exactly make you long term money??
Over the long term single bets are more profitable. Also as langdon19 said, bets that reduce the bookies edge also show more long term profit. People should be using an exchange for the majority of bets.

For a market on sportsbet for example that's $1.45 Betfair you might get up to $1.6 matched for sports. For racing it's even greater, a horse on $4 at sportsbet could get matched for $6 on Betfair. Its throwing money away to give the edge to the bookies.

Corporate bookmakers have only a few small advantages, promos/specials/bonus bets/money backs. Sportsbet 24 up and you win AFL special for example is a good one. If your bet isnt taking advantage of one of these, it's probably wiser to bet with an exchange*

*this is the 95% rule, there are always exceptions every now and then with certain markets or bet types.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Betfair racing becoming overrated IMO, 6-8% commission minus your bit extra and you can only bet in last 10mins and then the prices much more on point. State taxes really hurting them.

Volume and price wise much easier to clean up the books 5-30mins out. Even top tote can be comparable given (in general) larger volume.

Fair - your other chance is to look at the noms early and have some thoughts about the race so you can pick out any misspricings that go up on Wednesday.

Then watch your overs get rolled by the opening $2.20 fave that SPs $4

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
While I’d like to pick the eyes out of it on a Wednesday just time management wise I don’t find it worthwhile. Betting into 128% best odds with unknown scratchings and track conditions.

Lucikily a lot of value still around at 9am Raceday and a lot comes down to picking the ones that will firm and the ones that will drift then back the drifters late. Doesn’t always work but important to look at a horse and say, this genuinely should not drift any further.

I find Wednesdays shorteners are in that $26 range whereas the great value Raceday is faves or sub $9 with good profile and map.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
betfair sucks unless you're a bot or some low margin, high volume superpunter
Not really. I've been betting on big bash, NHL ice hockey and A-league recently, and without doing anything special or using any software I consistently get better prices than any of the corporate bookies. Even after commission (5% of the winning profit only) I'm still making more than I would using the corporates.
Why would I not want extra money from doing the exact same thing?

I'm not a pro or a super punter, but I am a slightly profitable punter. Not enough to stop or reduce working, but enough for a bit of extra play money on the weekends.

Bookies are a joke. Odds are heavily giving them the edge and if you're a long term winner you get cut off or limited. Bookies are like getting $1.95 on a coin toss. Great for casual fun or some take the piss 10 leg multiples, but if you want to make money you're throwing it away there. Promos/specials the odd exception.

Last edited:
Back