Discussion Football (Soccer) Thread

Big game once again for the Reds beginning in an hour and a half.

Only two points clear at the moment, need to extend that to five today.

terrible first half by Liverpool , lucky to be level as our goal should have been called offside . Liverpool have been found out three times by free kicks , they scored once and should have had at least one more . Going to need to turn the game around and get Salah more involved. Liverpool are taking too long to move the ball forward , by the time it gets there all of West Ham are back .

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
terrible first half by Liverpool , lucky to be level as our goal should have been called offside . Liverpool have been found out three times by free kicks , they scored once and should have had at least one more . Going to need to turn the game around and get Salah more involved. Liverpool are taking too long to move the ball forward , by the time it gets there all of West Ham are back .

Is this the Liverpool choke starting?

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Only if all the injuries and illness are choking type ailments...
You have had the fair rub of the green this season. It would be safe to say!
But agree a little early to say whether the famous choke is on again or not!
Have noticed Klopp getting more and more tense in recent weeks and he will need to keep his emotions in check at
the risk of unhinging what has appeared to be a very harmonious team so far this term!

The run in to the title in the EPL is as tense as it gets in professional sport and i have no doubt it was Fergueson's unflappable
and determined public persona that helped United win a few of their titles throughout his reign!
As good as Klopp has been this year, he still as yet has failed to deliver any meaningful silverware at the club!
And that pressure will mount by the week as the title fight heats up!

Fergie used to term it affectionately as Squeaky Bum time! :)
Personally i suspect that Klopp is up for the fight and will be ok.....Will his players follow suit?

Last edited:

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
You have had the fair rub of the green this season. It would be safe to say!
But agree a little early to say whether the famous choke is on again or not!
Have noticed Klopp getting more and more tense in recent weeks and he will need to keep his emotions in check at
the risk of unhinging what has appeared to be a very harmonious team so far this term!

The run in to the title in the EPL is as tense as it gets in professional sport and i have no doubt it was Fergueson's unflappable
and determined public persona that helped United win a few of their titles throughout his reign!
As good as Klopp has been this year, he still as yet has failed to deliver any meaningful silverware at the club!
And that pressure will mount by the week as the title fight heats up!

Fergie used to term it affectionately as Squeaky Bum time! :)
Personally i suspect that Klopp is up for the fight and will be ok.....Will his players follow suit?
All good points MM and we may be about to fold under the pressure but I’m still confident we can pull this off provided we start getting players back. We only had Fabinho that might normally start in midfield. Third choice right back in Milner who was also ill. Fourth choice centre back in Matip and another sick player in Virgil.
Liverpool never do it the easy way!

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
All good points MM and we may be about to fold under the pressure but I’m still confident we can pull this off provided we start getting players back. We only had Fabinho that might normally start in midfield. Third choice right back in Milner who was also ill. Fourth choice centre back in Matip and another sick player in Virgil.
Liverpool never do it the easy way!
I don't think you will! Fold under the pressure that is!
Something very different about this team compared to some of the pretenders you've had in past years!

Having said that, not sure about how deep the squad goes if the injuries continue!
That's an intangible Klopp and co can't control i suppose, but if it comes down to will and desire
reckon you guys have what it takes to finally be champions!

As painful as that was to say! ;)

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Something very different about this team compared to some of the pretenders you've had in past years!

Having said that, not sure about how deep the squad goes if the injuries continue!
That's an intangible Klopp and co can't control i suppose, but if it comes down to will and desire

Thanks mate! I know how hard that must be to say for a Manu supporter, although the true rivalry can only really start again when we’re both back at the top. It’s been a bloody long time!

Man City have a chance to go top of the table again when they play Everton tomorrow morning. It’s a game brought forward due to other game clashes .
We really need a big game by Everton to at least hold City to a draw.

Don’t Panic !!

Thanks for that champ , must have been hard to say lol .
At least if we win it means Man City don’t lol.

Don’t Panic !!

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Man City have a chance to go top of the table again when they play Everton tomorrow morning. It’s a game brought forward due to other game clashes .
We really need a big game by Everton to at least hold City to a draw.

Don’t Panic !!
Everton are in terrible form, so expecting a city win.

Just had a quick look at Liverpool and Man City’s run home . It’s going to be tough to stop Man City winning the league from here . Their overall squad is stronger than Liverpool’s so they should be able to cover injuries or loss of form going forward . For Liverpool to win from here everything has to go their way and Salah needs to return to top form . I’m not writing off Spurs but their draw seems a bit harder . Also not sure how long Kane will be out for Spurs which might hurt them .

It will be interesting also to see if Man U can catch and pass both Arsenal and Chelsea from here .

Don’t Panic !!

Eagle-eyed Manchester United fans spotted a PR blunder after unveiling Anthony Martial’s new contract.
The Frenchman looked delighted alongside Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to end speculation over his future and sign a lucrative five-year extension.
Martial, sitting with a beaming smile, casually held a pen to a piece of paper in a textbook photo when announcing a new deal.
The paper appears as though it has written details of Martial’s contract.
But it was in fact a word document complete with gibberish as spotted by a fan.

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
FUL
final
MUN

LIV
final
BOU

SOU
final
CAR

CRY
final
WHU

WAT
final
EVE

HUD
final
ARS

Nice for LFC to be back on the winners list.
Noticed an official with the job title ‘pitch response supervisor’ on his jacket. I’d like that job. Imagine leading a crack team of people roaming the pitch asking it how it is going? Very demanding but rewarding job, I’d think...

Palantine

All Australian
Mar 30, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bit of a return to form by Liverpool today with a good win and good performance, and a clean sheet of course. Good to see Alexander-Arnold come on, and what a player Robertson is. Think we started crossing more balls in from the wings, last couple of games teams have bunched up their defence and made it near impossible to work the ball through, despite us doing a remarkable job of it sometimes, so increased our wide threat which I think is key to scoring and unlocking defences going forward.

I don't think Man City's run is too smooth. Can see the potentially dropping points against Palace, Man U, Bournemouth, and Spurs.

We have to watch games against; Man U, Everton (derby you know), Chelsea and Spurs (but at least these last two are home games).

Bit of a return to form by Liverpool today with a good win and good performance, and a clean sheet of course. Good to see Alexander-Arnold come on, and what a player Robertson is. Think we started crossing more balls in from the wings, last couple of games teams have bunched up their defence and made it near impossible to work the ball through, despite us doing a remarkable job of it sometimes, so increased our wide threat which I think is key to scoring and unlocking defences going forward.

I don't think Man City's run is too smooth. Can see the potentially dropping points against Palace, Man U, Bournemouth, and Spurs.

We have to watch games against; Man U, Everton (derby you know), Chelsea and Spurs (but at least these last two are home games).

I agree , last week when we drew our strikers were boxed in by a deep defensive unit . We had very little run down the wings , but maybe they worked on that during the week because there was a lot more of that this week , we look a lot better with that in our game . Also means Robertson has the dance to break forward more , he seems to be the one willing to charge forward up the wings . It also frees up Salah more as he has more space to work with .
It will be interesting to see if they are able to do that against Man U next week .

Don’t Panic !!

Back