Delisted #16: Josh Begley - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Liberator

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Has put in a lot of work coming back from the ACL obviously. Love what he brings, physicality and footskills. I reckon he will impress this year; might be in the VFL a bit, perhaps getting some midfield exposure, but I reckon he’ll see a whole bunch of time in the seniors as well.

Liberator

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
429F35F0-1068-4A17-9F2E-ABBA384B5CCC.jpeg

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I'll be so happy for him if he makes it back for the start of the season or thereabouts. It was one of the worst moments of last year footywise when he did his ACL. Still would pick him ahead of Laverde. Any day.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
I'll be so happy for him if he makes it back for the start of the season or thereabouts. It was one of the worst moments of last year footywise when he did his ACL. Still would pick him ahead of Laverde. Any day.
Not sure what Begley has done at AFL level to be that far ahead of Lav, would love to see both fit and firing battling it out for that spot and with any luck Begley can work his way into the last JLT games.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure what Begley has done at AFL level to be that far ahead of Lav, would love to see both fit and firing battling it out for that spot and with any luck Begley can work his way into the last JLT games.

Well neither has a massive body of work at AFL level but that said Begley is 2 years younger and played every game at the start of last year until he did his ACL so clearly the coaches rated him ahead of Laverde as well. The reason I prefer him is he's a much better kick especially at goal, better endurance, looks a more realistic option to develop into an AFL midfielder and is of comparable size/good marking skills to Laverde. If he isn't too limited by the knee then I think he could go onto become a very good player in a Luke Parker mould. Laverde to me is a midfielder that lacks the tank at AFL level to play his natural role and doesn't have the forward nous to get it done there.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Well neither has a massive body of work at AFL level but that said Begley is 2 years younger and played every game at the start of last year until he did his ACL so clearly the coaches rated him ahead of Laverde as well. The reason I prefer him is he's a much better kick especially at goal, better endurance, looks a more realistic option to develop into an AFL midfielder and is of comparable size/good marking skills to Laverde. If he isn't too limited by the knee then I think he could go onto become a very good player in a Luke Parker mould. Laverde to me is a midfielder that lacks the tank at AFL level to play his natural role and doesn't have the forward nous to get it done there.
Laverde did his hamstring during the pre-season so he was always behind him at the start of last year.

Oct 12, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics
Begley and Lav are comparable. Both are strong/big bodied blokes, who don't mind throwing their weight around and both tend to fade in and out of games.

That being said, Begley seems to just find the goals better than Lav.

Still early days and plenty more time to develop.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
I love these photos of Begley, he is absolutely ripped.

It means nothing in the context of what he'll bring on field this year but it's shown he's worked hard in his rehab and leaving nothing to chance.

Good luck to him, from where he came from pre draft to get to this point, hopefully his hard work and perseverance is rewarded, not only for him, but we as fans can reap the benefits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
He has come a long way and he must have been super disciplined with his diet as he wouldn't have been able to do a huge amount of running in the early stages.

afaik he is vegan

Still non-contact, but training with the main squad after that ACL.

Young forward Josh Begley has also taken big strides in his rehabilitation from an ACL injury suffered during the 2018 ANZAC Day clash with Collingwood, taking part in several drills with the main squad.

“You’ve seen him in some quite dynamic group drills with a (non-contact) bib on still, just making sure we keep him out of trouble.

“We’re just looking for more and more opportunities over the next couple of weeks to get him doing more competitive football drills and we’ll be testing all of those things we need to tick off to make sure that Josh is cleared to play whenever he’s ready.”
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2019-02-05/skins-injury-update-preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Back