Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massive Eagles fan growing up.

Family all big Eagles fans.

Very keen to taste premiership success.

Goes to Freo........LOL!!!!
I was previously thinking it was between GWS and Eagles, but now I know he was an Eagles fan growing up, you just can't argue with that. Everyone knows you play for who you barracked for. That's just a fact.

Hang on, wasn't Brandon Matera an Eagles fan? And what is this photo of Jeremy McGovern in a Freo jumper?
6568f7ce0f965c6064517712a930df09.jpg

Heavens to Betsy, what else could I have been wrong about?

Eagles didn't want matera and Freo didn't want McGovern (as a rookie).

I'm sure McGovern considered a swap but loves it at West Coast and he was already in WA close to his family.

Reasonable guess that he stays at GWS because he is loyal and loves the club. I'm sure he'd strongly consider the west coast eagles but he'll get bigger offers from other clubs, which he will also strongly consider.

So his decision will be based on loyalty, family or money. Possibly a combination of both.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Eagles didn't want matera and Freo didn't want McGovern (as a rookie).

I'm sure McGovern considered a swap but loves it at West Coast and he was already in WA close to his family.

Reasonable guess that he stays at GWS because he is loyal and loves the club. I'm sure he'd strongly consider the west coast eagles but he'll get bigger offers from other clubs, which he will also strongly consider.

So his decision will be based on loyalty, family or money. Possibly a combination of both.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I can only see him joining the Coasters, were he to return home to the West....Other than him going there, or staying at GWS, then Hawthorn are the only other side in it.

Freo are zero chance whatsoever, as too Carlton.

I was previously thinking it was between GWS and Eagles, but now I know he was an Eagles fan growing up, you just can't argue with that. Everyone knows you play for who you barracked for. That's just a fact.

Hang on, wasn't Brandon Matera an Eagles fan? And what is this photo of Jeremy McGovern in a Freo jumper?
View attachment 614035

Well your wrong about Brandon Matera was a huge Essendon fan growing up never supported WCE

He’s an adult now. Sometimes $$$$$ talks.

Players often will choose the chance of ultimate success over $$$$$$.

From what Ive read Cogs very much wants to become a premiership player.

The other end of the spectrum is Lobb. Pretty much said he would go to who pays the most.

So should he decide West is best, Im pretty confident the Eagles will land him.;)

View attachment 614035

Yeo was a Freo fan growing up and was keen to go to them but they werent that interested.

That worked out well!:)

Players often will choose the chance of ultimate success over $$$$$$.

From what Ive read Cogs very much wants to become a premiership player.

The other end of the spectrum is Lobb. Pretty much said he would go to who pays the most.

So should he decide West is best, Im pretty confident the Eagles will land him.;)
Sure, West Coast is way more successful and that would give advantage, but that is only one factor out of many.

Lets look at the last Ten year of West Coast and Fremantle recruiting ex WA players
Colyer - West Coast not interested
Hogan - West Coast not interested due to cost in terms of salary cap, and trades assets
Conca - West Coast not interested
Lobb - West Coast interested and he choose Fremantle due to money and not wanting to ruck

Lets add Kelly as he choose West Coast due to concerns about Fremantle's culture

Ah Chee - Fremantle might have been interested. Lets say he choose the Eagles over the Dockers.

Matera - West Coast totally not interested
Wilson - He hates the Eagles and Eagles were never in race.

Hamling - not a need at West Coast not interested
B Hill - brother at Fremantle and West Coast was never had a chance.
Kersten - West Coast no interest
McCarthy - no interest from the Eagles

Jetta - he choose West Coast over Fremantle

Bennell - West Coast not interested

None

Yeo - massive mistake by the Dockers. Elliot wanting to come to Freo but we wasn't a need at the time

Gumbleton - no interest from WCE

Cripps - not sure but lets say he choose West Coast over the Dockers

J Hill - not sure but lets say he choose West Coast rather than Freo

Dalziel - not sure but lets say he choose West Coast rather than Freo

Griffin - West Coast not interested

none

none

Conclusion, there is not a lot of evidence that Star players choose West Coast over Fremantle. In Fact, Kelly is the only player that has in the last 10 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeo was a Freo fan growing up and was keen to go to them but they werent that interested.

That worked out well!:)
Yep - who you barracked for is irrelevant. If a player want's to move for some reason and more than one club is in the frame, it's basically size + length of contract and who can satisfy the exiting club with the best compensation (usually higher draft picks).

In the case of Coniglio, if GWS push for a trade instead of letting him go as a RFA; Freo have more cap space, a (most likely) better 1st Rounder and are located in his home state. They have also just lost Neale. Anyone who thinks Freo won't be throwning their hat in the ring are nuts.

Yep - who you barracked for is irrelevant. If a player want's to move for some reason and more than one club is in the frame, it's basically size + length of contract and who can satisfy the exiting club with the best compensation (usually higher draft picks).

In the case of Coniglio, if GWS push for a trade instead of letting him go as a RFA; Freo have more cap space, a (most likely) better 1st Rounder and are located in his home state. They have also just lost Neale. Anyone who thinks Freo won't be throwning their hat in the ring are nuts.
It's where he wants to be that will decide the outcome.

In terms of the offer it's interesting. If you get past the line on point one, you may well be able to choose money or picks.

I've no doubt the duscussions with the players last year included future salary, and it's largely fixed in our planning to retain a lot of guys this year. Probably wont go exactly to plan but still.

Bottom line is it's conceivable we could match a close offer, but I cant see us increasing much.

Sure, West Coast is way more successful and that would give advantage, but that is only one factor out of many.

Lets look at the last Ten year of West Coast and Fremantle recruiting ex WA players
Colyer - West Coast not interested
Hogan - West Coast not interested due to cost in terms of salary cap, and trades assets
Conca - West Coast not interested
Lobb - West Coast interested and he choose Fremantle due to money and not wanting to ruck

Lets add Kelly as he choose West Coast due to concerns about Fremantle's culture

Ah Chee - Fremantle might have been interested. Lets say he choose the Eagles over the Dockers.

Matera - West Coast totally not interested
Wilson - He hates the Eagles and Eagles were never in race.

Hamling - not a need at West Coast not interested
B Hill - brother at Fremantle and West Coast was never had a chance.
Kersten - West Coast no interest
McCarthy - no interest from the Eagles

Jetta - he choose West Coast over Fremantle

Bennell - West Coast not interested

None

Yeo - massive mistake by the Dockers. Elliot wanting to come to Freo but we wasn't a need at the time

Gumbleton - no interest from WCE

Cripps - not sure but lets say he choose West Coast over the Dockers

J Hill - not sure but lets say he choose West Coast rather than Freo

Dalziel - not sure but lets say he choose West Coast rather than Freo

Griffin - West Coast not interested

none

none
L
Conclusion, there is not a lot of evidence that Star players choose West Coast over Fremantle. In Fact, Kelly is the only player that has in the last 10 years.

Conclusion. Not many gun players return to WA.

Hogan is one.

Kennedy got pushed out of Carlton in the Judd trade but had yet to break into the side.

Bennell but due to his off field issues Eagles not interested.

Cogs if he were to return West would be one of the highest ranked players to move back West.

No doubt Freo would be keen but that offer would need to be ludicrous to tempt him IMO.

Conclusion. Not many gun players return to WA.

Hogan is one.

Kennedy got pushed out of Carlton in the Judd trade but had yet to break into the side.

Bennell but due to his off field issues Eagles not interested.

Cogs if he were to return West would be one of the highest ranked players to move back West.

No doubt Freo would be keen but that offer would need to be ludicrous to tempt him IMO.
Very true.

Cogs strikes me as the type of bloke & player who has high & lofty ambitions.....The kind who aspire to moving up & moving on to bigger & better things in their life, with everything they do in their career.

That said, there's little chance in him regressing personally by going backwards in returning home to W/A.....Tis the Hawks who represent a move that is both forward looking & upwardly mobile, by matching the kind of challenge he will hunger for to quench & slate his thirst for the ultimate success.

There's an inevitability about Cogs wearing the number 9 guernsey at Hawthorn, that's entirely irresistible.....Think of it as fate fulfilling it's own destiny.
So assuming his thirst for success ect ect
GWS: Prelim, Prelim, Semi Finals. List with the best players smack bang in there prime also current club.

Eagles: Current flag holders. With Nic 28, Gaff 26, Darling 26, Yeo 25, Gov 26, Redden 27, Sheppard 27, Barass 22-23, Sheed 23, Hurnnnn 32, Kennedy 31, Sheuy 28. Most of our elite players are smack bang in there prime and have a good few years left minus Hurn and Kennedy if he wants a flag shot playing for his boyhood club is a good a chance as any.

Hawks: Clarko Factor and Omeara can’t ever discount that. But rapidly aging list hawks need to retool massively.

So your claim is a load of polony mate

Let’s say Cogs wants to come home and WC finish top 4. Tim Kelly will cost their first pick with some change. What currency can WC actually offer OR who would they trade out to get him?

Even if WC relinquish their interest in Kelly their first pick is too late to be of interest.

Sorry WC fans but I just can’t see how it possibly happens without a major player trade happening. COGs and his manager would be way to smart for that to happen.

He will sign with GWS unless their cap issues havent been resolved.

Let’s say Cogs wants to come home and WC finish top 4. Tim Kelly will cost their first pick with some change. What currency can WC actually offer OR who would they trade out to get him?

Even if WC relinquish their interest in Kelly their first pick is too late to be of interest.

Sorry WC fans but I just can’t see how it possibly happens without a major player trade happening. COGs and his manager would be way to smart for that to happen.

Eagles have two 2nd rounders plus a 1st in this draft plus future picks.

As a rfa Cogs could net GWS a single pick in the teens if he goes as a rfa. So anything better than a single pick in the teens is in play.

I would offer two firsts for Cogs. 2019 plus 2020.

Kelly out of contract I would offer the two 2019 2nd rounders.

Job done.

Brander may come into the Cogs deal as he was GWS bound thriugh their academy before the zones were changed.

Eagles have the currency to land both so no need to worry.

Kelly will be out of contract.....He won't be costing West Coast a thing.....They can simply pick him up as an uncontracted free agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back