Racing Darren Weir Arrested and stables raided by Police and Stewards.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think using precedents here is really a good way of looking at things because clearly the penalties handed out in the past haven't provided sufficient deterrent to stop people doing it.

If the industry is serious about changing it's culture (whether it be in relation to animal cruelty, doping of horses or other methods of fixing races) then the message needs to be sent that anyone who participates in that kind of conduct isn't welcome. Otherwise you're just p***ng in the wind.

Weirs history is woeful to.....

Weir -v- Stewards

The history:

January 2001 - Weir suspended for eight weeks for giving false evidence, in an inquiry regarding the late scratching of mare Amanda Huggenkiss at Warrnambool.

Spring 2002 - Weir fined $1000 for being in possession of tubing gear at Manangatang.

August 2003 - Three Weir horses scratched at Murtoa with equipment seized by stewards, resulting in a three month suspension for tubing a horse on raceday.

May 3, 2006 - Racing Victoria stewards inspect Weir and Jarrod McLean stables at Warrnambool. Tubing gear was discovered, but no charges laid.

February 14, 2008 - Weir fined $15,000 for an elevated TC02 reading.

November 2009 - Weir fined $1500 after Lethal Gal was a late scratching on Ballarat Cup day when stewards discovered the horse had been transferred to another stable.

January 2010 - Time Matters a late scratching at Caulfield - after Weir failed to notify stewards of the whereabouts of the horse.

March 24, 2011 - Weir fined $500 for using 'insulting or abusive language' towards a trackwork supervisor.

May 23, 2013 - Weir fined $7000 after a diuretic was detected in Doing Our Best on raceday at Ballarat on February 16, 2013.

November 2013 - Weir fined $2000 for a stable return breach, leading to Platelet's late scratching from the $1m VRC Sprint Classic.

August 5, 2018 - Stewards adjourn inquiry into tactics - John Allen and Darren Weir quizzed over tactics aboard Bit Of A Lad in the Grand National Hurdle at Sandown with the inquiry adjourned to examine betting records on the race.

September 19, 2018 - Weir fined $5000 for false jump-out information - including wrongly naming seven horses that competed in jump-outs at Ballarat.

October 20, 2018 - Trap For Fools scratched - over concerns about where the gelding had been stabled in the lead-up to the race.

I don't think ANY punter even before this recent event happened, thought he was an honest bloke and he has always been dodgy as * going back to his early days when he was training out of Stawell and i have heard a heap of stories from people who were in the industry back then at Stawell and it was hardly playing by the rules.

Penalty should fit the crime. No way should backing an opposing horse get less than backing your own horse. Fundamentally wrong and not close

Not to mention his 4yrs will be increased heaps if the Federal Police find anything else as well to charge him with, which is still ongoing.

Federal Police don't raid horse trainers stables/homes etc at 5am in the morning with 15+ members of the force in the hope of finding a Jigger or an unregistered .22 rifle.

Lots to still play out.

hah,

tubing gear getting a mention. His history actually reads better than i remember. couple milkshakes early days and the rest is just missing horses seemed worse at the time.

hah,

tubing gear getting a mention. His history actually reads better than i remember. couple milkshakes early days and the rest is just missing horses seemed worse at the time.

They go missing for a reason and it is usually to another stable that has no runners competing that day or premises ( Hence Stewards don't check them randomly or is a 500-1 chance ) so they then get illegal procedures like tubing / drugs / juiced up etc or simple masking agents given to them.

In other words the dodgy s**t is done elsewhere that is not going to attract the attention of stewards. ;)

Also tubing itself is NOT illegal as the procedure is done for many reasons on horses.

Only on race day is it illegal because of the performance enhancing substances that can be delivered to the horse for immediate results like within 2-3hrs of racing.

Hence why there are decent penalties from stewards when you cannot prove where your horses are at on a specific time on race day or really any day for that matter.

Also tubing itself is NOT illegal as the procedure is done for many reasons on horses.

Only on race day is it illegal because of the performance enhancing substances that can be delivered to the horse for immediate results like within 2-3hrs of racing.
Generally for quite legitimate worm/parasite drenching purposes.

One of Dad's horses nearly died after a drench.

Vet was away and the assistant put the tube in wrong and filled up his lungs instead of his stomach.

It was a vitamins drench but with the vet involved vitamins might need some of these "" in hindsight.

One of Dad's horses nearly died after a drench.

Vet was away and the assistant put the tube in wrong and filled up his lungs instead of his stomach.

It was a vitamins drench but with the vet involved vitamins might need some of these "" in hindsight.
I nose drench my own stock horses and it is pretty bloody easy to know if you are in the lung or the stomach.

Federal Police don't raid horse trainers stables/homes etc at 5am in the morning with 15+ members of the force in the hope of finding a Jigger or an unregistered .22 rifle.

Lots to still play out.

Spot on.

When all the hoo-ha went down with the Greyhound Industry and the live baiting they only sent the Police and RSPCA to raid properties.

If all this was about was jiggers and animal welfare the Feds wouldn't be even remotely interested in getting involved. It would be RSPCA and Police again.

Oliver & JMac are apples and oranges because they changed the penalties for jockeys betting after the Oliver case.

Haha covers all bases of a complex issue within the character limit. That's a very well crafted tweet.

for me, far from sympathy for him but feeling is not 100% negative. weird middle ground.

maybe it's just after the aquanita series it's conditioning. For me it's nowhere near that level (yet)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hah,

Yeah and I'm sure the Essendon saga would have turned out a lot better for the dopers if their record hadn't gone 'missing' too

Written By is like the number one draft pick from the under 18s stepping up to play against men in the AFL. First run against older horses and gets rolled. Happens all the time. Nothing suss there.

Right, the point being that that post was no worse than the gossip and slander from previous posters in this thread.

Yet there was an immediate queue to put the boot in, whereas the other posts were accepted and even lauded.

Begs the question of why are you even commenting in here then?

There is also a thread on the crime board you can sink your teeth into to.

Excuse me, how many posts right here in this thread are to do with punting, were any of those told to move it on.?

I am a horse person and have every right to comment here, the post you quoted was in reply to a previous poster.

One set of rules for all.? I think not.

Last edited:
Right, the point being that that post was no worse than the gossip and slander from previous posters in this thread.

Yet there was an immediate queue to put the boot in, whereas the other posts were accepted and even lauded.

Excuse me, how many posts right here in this thread are to do with punting, were any of those told to move it on.?

I am a horse person and have every right to comment here, the post you quoted was in reply to a previous poster.

One set of rules for all.? I think not.

You came here on a Punting Board saying you were not silly enough to waste your money on Punting.

Then complained about punters being a boys club on.... once again the Punting Board.

Go to general discussion to talk about horses if you like or the crime board to discuss this topic but don’t call the local punters a boys club on their own board and also call Punting silly.

Those statements are always going to get people’s backs up regardless what you think.

You came here on a Punting Board saying you were not silly enough to waste your money on Punting.

Then complained about punters being a boys club on.... once again the Punting Board.

Go to general discussion to talk about horses if you like or the crime board to discuss this topic but don’t call the local punters a boys club on their own board and also call Punting silly.

Those statements are always going to get people’s backs up regardless what you think.

Wrong, don't put words in my mouth. I never complained about punters. I was quite clear that the horses were my 1st priority.

The comment about the old boys club said 'this site' and nothing I've seen since has changed my mind.

The Title of this thread is why I am here.

Last edited:
Wrong, don't put words in my mouth. I never complained about punters. I was quite clear that the horses were my 1st priority.

The comment about the old boys club said 'this site' and nothing I've seen since has changed my mind.

The Title of this thread is why I am here.
Unlike many others, I'm not stupid enough to waste my hard earned on gambling. The horses were ever the only drawcard for me.

Gotta love the old boys club on this site, patting each other on the back like you are heroes.

Oh the irony.

You want a direct link to the rules of this board?

Hint it is only just above this one on the sticky list and i strongly suggest you read it before commenting again especially *#7 under the Golden rules.

Darren Weir has been doing shady stuff for years and he has literally got away with most of it because the penalties are just a smack on the hand.
Racing Victoria should have cracked down hard years ago

When will waller get done or because he has Winx he gets a pass
Well Peter Moody never got done until Black Caviar was well an truely retired.

I'm by no means enjoying what is happening but I must say I'm a little surprised at some of the sympathy that is being directed towards him. Matt Stewart on RSN this morning was fawning about the hearing yesterday going to great lengths to describe how much pain Weir seemed to be in and cheerleading for him to be welcomed back with open arms after 4 years. The guy was found with illegal devices in his bedroom FFS, if that isn't a deliberate attempt to avoid detection then I don't know what is. Interestingly shortly after Stewart also noted that there are issues with the culture in some pockets of the racing industry... Not sure how you reconcile cleaning that side of things up with advocating for someone who deliberately cheated to be welcomed back???

This is not a hard luck story... This is a story of a bloke who cheated and got caught... The rest is just puff...

Forget the jiggers and the suspension for weir he is involved in federal police charges for corruption in sport.

That's what they are trying to nail him for this 4 year suspension is like a slap on the wrist compared to what's coming. Look up smerdons ban for what he was doing. Peter moody quit before a 6 month suspension was handed down.

You wonder why weir sold everything within 2 weeks because he is never coming back to this sport and he already knows it.

I don't feel any empathy for weir if it was literally just the jiggers well he can go down like the rest of them it's not plain and simple offshore betting, influencing race results.

Not to mention his 4yrs will be increased heaps if the Federal Police find anything else as well to charge him with, which is still ongoing.

Lots to still play out.

They have him I would put my left nut on it, the brakes are on the media because it's a federal investigation. They will only leak what's necessary to the public they say oh we are looking into these claims / charges. If any doubt at all was on weirs side we would have heard nothing.

If he came back and could win me a race in town as an owner i'd send him one in a heartbeat

#whateverittakes

I got a laugh out of this, I know your joking

# aquanita

On a serious note they can strip the prize money or disqualify horses I would not want to have anything to do with prince of penzance at the moment poor michelle . No idea how this works with the owners because I assume most of the money is spent lol.

Be interesting because if the prize money needs to go back who do the owners sue a broke trainer who faces charges with 10 years jail time.

Should see the mess in Queensland shane graham and the harness drivers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back