Training 2019 Preseason + Operations

For those who've had surgery before, was it a success?

• Yep! So glad I got it done. 100% symptom-free!

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • Yes, mostly. Some symptoms have returned, but still better than prior to surgery

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Yes, partially. It helped initially, but symptoms have returned similarly to the past

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Yes, but there were some complications in the first few weeks

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No, I got extra pain/infection/bleeding, and didn't feel better

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s all coming together nicely. Everyone is enjoying a pre season without controversy or finger pointing.

The recruits seem to be showing off some nice moves and Talia is about to hit the track.
Smith is back and ROB is busy putting “The Sauce back in the pantry”!

Gibbs is shaking the Carlton dust from his bones and our 2 on field co “Capitaaans” are looking rejuvenated!!

There are a few little niggles but generally .....a far cry from last year:)

It’s all coming together nicely. Everyone is enjoying a pre season without controversy or finger pointing.

The recruits seem to be showing off some nice moves and Talia is about to hit the track.

Gibbs is shaking the Carlton dust from his bones and our 2 on field co “Capitaaans” are looking rejuvenated!!

TOUCH WOOD!!

I think the preseason for 2018 is going to be used as the perfect template of how not to prepare for a season ahead. :drunk:

Was listening to Ben Hart on 5AA whilst on the drive home. He said something that really struck with me. Not quoted word for word, but of similar:
“Same time last year (preseason 2018), we had about 30 guys fit to be playing on the match simulation. This time (preseason 2019), we have around 47 doing match sim, including some extras who are trialling out for the SANFL team.”

He also said that with more numbers involved this preseason, the club is already looking a more happy “up and about” environment. Also with the added numbers, they are doing more match sim, and can try more tactics compared with last year.

Just on the new rules....looking at the 50 meter arcs and what the best tactic might be at the centre bounce.
Do the half forwards lead out in all directions to the flanks and drag their defenders away from the 50 leaving it open?
This should create large paddocks for the 3 forwards to lead into. There would be little any defence could do man on man.
Or does the half backline stay put in a Zone to block the leads!

The obvious problem here is 3 loose half forwards...that is until the mids and the Wingmen can get back. But by then it might be too late.

This all assumes that there is a clean clearance from the centre. If there is it will be mayhem for the defenders so I think the only way to even it up is to create a stoppage at the centre bounce. Then play resets to old rules.

I think when the scores are tight there will be pressure to just trap the ball at the bounce and reset. Could get ugly giving away free kicks but at least the defenders can expect help.

Was listening to Ben Hart on 5AA whilst on the drive home. He said something that really struck with me. Not quoted word for word, but of similar:
“Same time last year (preseason 2018), we had about 30 guys fit to be playing on the match simulation. This time (preseason 2019), we have around 47 doing match sim, including some extras who are trialling out for the SANFL team.”

He also said that with more numbers involved this preseason, the club is already looking a more happy “up and about” environment. Also with the added numbers, they are doing more match sim, and can try more tactics compared with last year.

Im expecting a strong showing in the early part of the season hopefully.

Injuries and suspensions will come, its part and parcel of the game. Its important we take advantage of a solid preseason and hit the start of this year well.

Just on the new rules....looking at the 50 meter arcs and what the best tactic might be at the centre bounce.
Do the half forwards lead out in all directions to the flanks and drag their defenders away from the 50 leaving it open?
This should create large paddocks for the 3 forwards to lead into. There would be little any defence could do man on man.
Or does the half backline stay put in a Zone to block the leads!

The obvious problem here is 3 loose half forwards...that is until the mids and the Wingmen can get back. But by then it might be too late.

This all assumes that there is a clean clearance from the centre. If there is it will be mayhem for the defenders so I think the only way to even it up is to create a stoppage at the centre bounce. Then play resets to old rules.

I think when the scores are tight there will be pressure to just trap the ball at the bounce and reset. Could get ugly giving away free kicks but at least the defenders can expect help.
Interesting point, teams that aren’t strong in the middle might forget about trying to be aggressive and basically play 3 defensive mids at the first ball up.

Is that throw in rule 10 m inside the boundary going to be in effect in the proper season?

Sending Burton out to count the grains of sand on the beach was genius. Whoever's idea it was should get a payrise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jumper number appears to start with a 2, so I'd suggest McHenry.

I also think that's him doing the crunching tackle at 19/20 second mark.

I think that's Kelly bringing the heat with that tackle.

I still reckon he would've ended up at Collingwood this year if Langdon had taken the money at Sydney.

I hope we've come up with a way to help Sloane deal with tags a bit more this pre season as he's such a big factor to us when he's rolling and quite a non factor once he receives attention.

Also hoping Tex is fit this year as the difference is massive, deserves a great year after all he's had to deal with on and off the field.

And with someone mentioning us looking leaner, I hope that's the case and we get back to quick transition football as we looked the best team by far in 2017 by playing this style. The way we'd bring it up the ground and into the forward line made it look soooo easy.

I hope we've come up with a way to help Sloane deal with tags a bit more this pre season as he's such a big factor to us when he's rolling and quite a non factor once he receives attention.

Also hoping Tex is fit this year as the difference is massive, deserves a great year after all he's had to deal with on and off the field.

And with someone mentioning us looking leaner, I hope that's the case and we get back to quick transition football as we looked the best team by far in 2017 by playing this style. The way we'd bring it up the ground and into the forward line made it look soooo easy.

Sloane’s tagging issues is why I backflipped on my 2016 position and wanted us to pay the overs we did for Gibbs. But losing Brad put us in the same position we were in the previous year. But fingers crossed, I think this year having 4 top quality mids gives us the flexibility to make that a non-issue. Just move him to a secondary position whenever he is struggling with a tag and we still have a full strength midfield.

Deeper midfield will help a lot mate - with 2 x fit Crouches plus Gibbs we can afford to move Rory around a bit more if hes getting tagged out of it.

Really interested about CEY. Was nearly delisted last year but given a lifeline. Reports say he is dominating match sim and training.

First Eddie gushed about him. I thought he was just looking out for his brother but then Ben Hart was on AA yesterday and specifically mentioned CEY as having a great preseason and dominating.

With Brouch coming back I thought CEY would be depth but it sounds like selection will be a big headache for the coaches this year. Greenwood is also someone I had ahead of him.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm starting to think he might be ready for round 1 this year, and if he's not 100% i'd actually prefer to keep him out of the team. There are a lot of guys gunning for that 5th midfielder role, and nearly all of them have had uninterrupted preseasons.

Thats not a slight on Greenwood either, we've just been burned by playing underdone guys too many times to not figure out that it just doesn't work. We need 22 blokes in the team on gameday not 21.50
If CEY really is gunning it and Greenwood is hurt, then we should give CEY a crack to save the career.
Hugh can do 6 more weeks pre-season and have a strong 3/4 year.

Back