Past #45: Red Óg Murphy - RIP - Murphy has passed away in Dublin aged 21 (April 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually wondered what his top gear is like. Has a reasonably long gate at a slower pace, looks entirely like a smooth mover.
I believe his athletic profile is one of the main reasons he was picked up.

It would be pretty good.

you can get a decent look at his wheels around 1:40 mins into this vid from today.

pretty impressive i thought. i had to pause it and go and look up who number 45 was.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2019-02-08/draftees-good-first-impressions

Red Og Murphy
“Red’s slotted into the club really nicely, given he only arrived in the middle of January.
“Obviously his game knowledge and understanding is a way behind the others, but he’s a really, really fast learner and you can already see some of the work that Rhyce Shaw and David Loader have been doing with him around his body position and game understanding.
“He just wants to learn, he picks it up really quickly and some positives and strengths he has going for him is that he’s a really strong kick and he reads the game quite well, and he’s got some really great speed.
“With those attributes he’s been able to step in and not look too far out of place, but understanding that he’s got a lot to learn.
“He’s a fantastic character and it’s been really enjoyable having him around the place so far.”

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2019-02-08/draftees-good-first-impressions

Red Og Murphy
“Red’s slotted into the club really nicely, given he only arrived in the middle of January.
“Obviously his game knowledge and understanding is a way behind the others, but he’s a really, really fast learner and you can already see some of the work that Rhyce Shaw and David Loader have been doing with him around his body position and game understanding.
“He just wants to learn, he picks it up really quickly and some positives and strengths he has going for him is that he’s a really strong kick and he reads the game quite well, and he’s got some really great speed.
“With those attributes he’s been able to step in and not look too far out of place, but understanding that he’s got a lot to learn.
“He’s a fantastic character and it’s been really enjoyable having him around the place so far.”

200w.gif

It appears ROM has a good memory. I hope he isn't hardwired into Gaelic as he will be hard to change, like a complete reprogram would be needed.

Interesting reading your comments lads I've just been reading through the different subs to get aussie impressions on the Irish recruits, I will say that it's impressive that your sub-forum is probably the only one not to have dumb jokes about the accent! Nice that you were actually criticising people taking the piss lol ;) Unlike the Collingwood one especially!

Interesting reading your comments lads I've just been reading through the different subs to get aussie impressions on the Irish recruits, I will say that it's impressive that your sub-forum is probably the only one not to have dumb jokes about the accent! Nice that you were actually criticising people taking the piss lol ;) Unlike the Collingwood one especially!

I'm dirty that a good Tyrone GAA man in Conor McKenna is playing for frigging Essendon.

My Great Grandma used to say the three worst things in life were usually all found in the same thing - Liberals, Protestants and Essendon.

That interview he did when they kept trying to tell him he's from Northern Ireland and he kept going "Well, its all Ireland the way I see it" but they couldn't understand his accent (let alone understand the historical/political context) was gold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm dirty that a good Tyrone GAA man in Conor McKenna is playing for frigging Essendon.

My Great Grandma used to say the three worst things in life were usually all found in the same thing - Liberals, Protestants and Essendon.

That interview he did when they kept trying to tell him he's from Northern Ireland and he kept going "Well, its all Ireland the way I see it" but they couldn't understand his accent (let alone understand the historical/political context) was gold.

Yes I seen that interview, I was completely cringing the whole time lol.

If you'd like to watch more cringeworthy interviews just check out our treatment of Red Og in any of his North media clips..

Hope he goes well for you guys anyway! I haven't seen a whole lot of him I have to admit, other than the minor (u20) quarter-final in 2017 where he kicked 11 points against Derry (out of 15 for the team as a whole) and a few other clips here and there, but from what I have seen he is a very natural, "fluid" player, seems to glide across the pitch and score with ease. I wonder what position he will end up playing, it does seem like Irish lads end up playing in deeper roles in AFL.

Yes I seen that interview, I was completely cringing the whole time lol.

To be fair, the blokes interviewing him were not the brightest bulbs on the tree.

Is interesting how many Irish women are out playing the AFLW too.

To be fair, the blokes interviewing him were not the brightest bulbs on the tree.

Is interesting how many Irish women are out playing the AFLW too.

If North recruit any of them the company providing sub-titling software might want to consider a public float.

Hope he goes well for you guys anyway! I haven't seen a whole lot of him I have to admit, other than the minor (u20) quarter-final in 2017 where he kicked 11 points against Derry (out of 15 for the team as a whole) and a few other clips here and there, but from what I have seen he is a very natural, "fluid" player, seems to glide across the pitch and score with ease. I wonder what position he will end up playing, it does seem like Irish lads end up playing in deeper roles in AFL.
He was a standout in the recent intra-club match. Not only did he glide on those long legs, but he had the technique and smarts of an AFL player too. He was working mostly off the half-back flank by the look of things. Generating a lot of excitement already.

Last edited:
Imagine if we listed an Aberdonian or someone from the Orkneys?

The club would need to hire a room full of headphones and team of UN grade translators.

Lol, an Aberdonian.

Day one at Arden Street

Arthur Aberdonian: Fit like?

North player:
Yes, I'm fit mate, I'm also a professional Aussie Rules player.

Arthur: Naw, fit like?

North guy: (Nods head, backing away) Yes, I'm fit! Braaaaaaad!

Lol, an Aberdonian.

Day one at Arden Street

Arthur Aberdonian: Fit like?

North player: What are you trying to say? AFLPA CBA said we're allowed 12 weeks off before the season. I'm a professional Aussie Rules player.

Arthur: Naw, fit like?

North guy: (Nods head, backing away) My skinfolds aren't that bad. Anyway we're allowed a drink during the preseason this isn't a police state. Braaaaaaad!

Nice. Efa.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back