The Who 20-1

Remove this Banner Ad

Been trying to find the video for them doing Acid Queen live in Texas - awesome
Think the copyright police may have got to it. Anyway, great thread.
I had somehow not familiarised myself with The Ox and some of your other faves

You'll have to settle for this one from the Colosseum.

Oooh the singer isn't The Singer :p

I just watched it on Live In Texas and it wasn't what I was thinking of though fine performance of course. Will keep Searching. Another fine song, The Searcher :huh:

Hah, well spotted. Some of the songs on there are stunningly beautiful and I love the ads in between the tracks :)
Yeah. Superb album. Really clever concept, and brilliantly executed. "Odorono" is surely the greatest advert ever!

It's probably #4 in my Who studio albums ranking. The recent hi-res/MFiT downloads of the album in mono and stereo are glorious.

I’ve listened to a lot more of their stuff since compiling this list. A new fan always listens to their hits first, hence why this 20-1 is mostly their radio releases.

Having listened to their B-sides and unreleased album songs, I could definitely do a completely fresh top 20 or 30. I’ve also come to the conclusion that whilst they don’t have the consistency or success to be considered the greatest group of all time, I consider their musical peak to be greater than any other group’s peak ever. The Who of 1968-73 with some outliers from before and after were simply unmatchable.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oooh the singer isn't The Singer :p

I just watched it on Live In Texas and it wasn't what I was thinking of though fine performance of course. Will keep Searching. Another fine song, The Searcher :huh:
Bloody annoying, I can't remember which clip I was thinking of now and looked everywhere for it. Thought it was Acid Queen off Live at Texas 75 but don't think so now.

There is no other band that defines quintessential British rock of the 60s and 70s for me more than The Who.

I saw them at Festival Hall in Jan 1968 on that schemozzle of a tour (with The Small Faces) and that has stayed with me all these years. The carnage at the end of the show with Townsend slamming his guitar into the stage, Moon kicking over his Pictures of Lily drums, Daltrey swinging the mike stand, the smoke and the crowd whipped into a frenzy is the quintessential memory of my teen years. All this for the early show with the crowd queued up outside for the next show :D

Surely no other band leaves the same legacy of appearances at key dates and events such as:
  • Monterey Pop Festival 1967 (with Hendrix, Burdon, Joplin, Otis Redding, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Simon and Garfunkel, Canned Heat, Steve Miller, Mamas and the Papas, etc)
  • The legendary Woodstock 1969
  • Isle of Wight Festival 1970 (with The Doors, Hendrix, Free, Supertramp, Melanie, The Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Sly Stone, Chicago and many more)
  • Live Aid
  • Live 8
  • Superbowl
  • Concert for New York (after September 11)
  • The Concert for Sandy Relief
  • Glastonbury
  • The ill fated Cincinnati concert where 11 people were crushed.
  • And not forgetting the Australian GP and that night in 68 at Festival Hall :D

There is no other band that defines quintessential British rock of the 60s and 70s for me more than The Who.

I saw them at Festival Hall in Jan 1968 on that schemozzle of a tour (with The Small Faces) and that has stayed with me all these years. The carnage at the end of the show with Townsend slamming his guitar into the stage, Moon kicking over his Pictures of Lily drums, Daltrey swinging the mike stand, the smoke and the crowd whipped into a frenzy is the quintessential memory of my teen years. All this for the early show with the crowd queued up outside for the next show :D

Surely no other band leaves the same legacy of appearances at key dates and events such as:
  • Monterey Pop Festival 1967 (with Hendrix, Burdon, Joplin, Otis Redding, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Simon and Garfunkel, Canned Heat, Steve Miller, Mamas and the Papas, etc)
  • Isle of Wight Festival 1970 (with The Doors, Hendrix, Free, Supertramp, Melanie, The Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Sly Stone, Chicago and many more)
  • Live Aid
  • Live 8
  • Superbowl
  • Glastonbury
Yes I wish I had gone to that concert - it was just before I started going to concerts. My first was Deep Purple, Mannfred Mann and Free which was great

Yes I wish I had gone to that concert - it was just before I started going to concerts. My first was Deep Purple, Mannfred Mann and Free which was great

That would have been amazing. I first went to a concert in 1966 to see the Stones at the Palais (with The Searchers), so a very early start for me.

Have fun tonight, so many special and moving moments and memories that defined our lives. I was thinking of going again, but nothing coming up in tickets. Should have bought them yesterday when pretty good side of stage seats were coming up at the base price.

Be prepared for chaos around that precinct. Traffic was a disaster from the moment I hit Dudley St, an hour from Footscray Rd near Etihad to the Vic Market.

I Can See For Miles
Won't Get Fooled Again
My Generation
I'm a Boy
Substitute
I Can't Explain
A Quick One While He’s Away
Love, Reign O’er Me
Happy Jack
The Kids Are Alright
Baba O’Riley
Behind Blue Eyes
Amazing Journey / Sparks
So Sad About Us
The Real Me
Mary Ann With The Shaky Hand
Bargain
Who Are You
The Song is Over.

That wasn't easy...

• Live Aid
  • Live 8
  • Superbowl
  • Glastonbury

Seriously, in regards to the bolded; for me, the Stones would be first, then Beatles. Recently seen McCartney & he is freakn amazing still!

The Who had some very good music & will always be part of the legend.

I've posted Won't Get Fooled Again in a diff thread so..

Seriously, in regards to the bolded; for me, the Stones would be first, then Beatles. Recently seen McCartney & he is freakn amazing still!

The Who had some very good music & will always be part of the legend.

I've posted Won't Get Fooled Again in a diff thread so..

The Stones and the Beatles, even the Animals, were heavily influenced by American music in their early works, lots of covers etc. Whereas The Who seemed to me to be essentially British, I'd also put the Small Faces and The Kinks in the same "British" category.

I rate the Beatles and Stones at the top of the tree, but those other bands define "British" 60s music for me.

I also saw McCartney again (4th time) and he gave us a 50+ year history lesson in popular music excellence. It was highly emotional at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Picked up Quadrophenia on vinyl the other day. What a great album. Pretty much every song is good whereas the other rock opera they did, Tommy, has a few weaker ones. 5.15 probably my favourite song off it.

Then blow me down, I go through my old box of albums and find Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy + Live at Leeds/Who Are You combined into a double album + Face Dances. All in perfect nick. It's going to be a Whotastic weekend!

Picked up Quadrophenia on vinyl the other day. What a great album. Pretty much every song is good whereas the other rock opera they did, Tommy, has a few weaker ones. 5.15 probably my favourite song off it.

Then blow me down, I go through my old box of albums and find Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy + Live at Leeds/Who Are You combined into a double album + Face Dances. All in perfect nick. It's going to be a Whotastic weekend!
Quadrophenia is one of my all time favourites. "5.15" is a classic, but then so is half the album.

Crank the volume for Live At Leeds. I can't think of a better album at floor shaking volume.

My Generation into Magic Bus on Live At Leeds - there is no better 23 minutes in music.
Completely agree. The only other bands that got near that level onstage were the Stones during the Taylor years, and the Allmans with brother Duane.

The sound quality on the recent HD download of LAL is the best I've heard.

• Live Aid
  • Live 8
  • Superbowl
  • Glastonbury
Greatest live rock band ever. Period.

I saw one of their clips a while ago which I thought was freakin awesome then cleverly forgot which one it was. Maybe this one

Last edited:
Why Jagger didn't release to Rock n Roll Circus for nearly 30 years ;)

Spot on. I love the Stones but poor old Brian was on his last legs as a performer and while they still put on a perfectly decent performance, they came across like a band who hadn't played on-stage in several months and hadn't toured for about a year and a half. The Who on the other hand, were fresh from a U.S tour and needed only one song to completely blow the headliners off the stage.

Even when the Circus was finally released on DVD 28 years later, The Who's incendiary performance was placed very early in the set, as opposed to where they actually performed, which was directly before the Stones. Mick must have thought I'm not getting blown away by them twice so let's put them as far away from us as possible.

It's interesting that neither band had reached their performing peak by late 1968, but both would within a year.

Spot on. I love the Stones but poor old Brian was on his last legs as a performer and while they still put on a perfectly decent performance, they came across like a band who hadn't played on-stage in several months and hadn't toured for about a year and a half. The Who on the other hand, were fresh from a U.S tour and needed only one song to completely blow the headliners off the stage.

Even when the Circus was finally released on DVD 28 years later, The Who's incendiary performance was placed very early in the set, as opposed to where they actually performed, which was directly before the Stones. Mick must have thought I'm not getting blown away by them twice so let's put them as far away from us as possible.

It's interesting that neither band had reached their performing peak by late 1968, but both would within a year.
Yep, too bad the Stones couldn't have filmed it after the 69 tour. :)

Yep, too bad the Stones couldn't have filmed it after the 69 tour. :)
Exactly! I reckon that tour had the heaviest guitar sound the Stones would ever use. And it was a nice thick guitar tone. Taylor's sublime playing (and that awesome Gibson sound) was the perfect counterpoint to Richards' powerful rhythmic riffing.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back