Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assassin's Creed - 2/10

What an absolute pile of s**t. Such a good cast wasted on a poorly written and horribly directed movie. I checked the Wikipedia page and couldn't believe this had a budget of $125M. Almost every action scene or vast sweeping CGI shot is inexplicably obscured by CGI dust and clouds as though the film was actually made with 1/10th of the reported budget. Trash.
Bizzare that they chose to make an Assassins Creed movie and spend 90% of the running time focusing on the most boring parts of the games.

Did you like any of his other films? Because it wasn't probably it being a period film that you didn't enjoy about it.
I have Sacred Deer and The Lobster on my list of films to watch, but haven't actually seen any of his other films.

Losing Ben
Longing for dead parents
Fighting mentors
Fighting friends
Leaving Gwen
Not being able to save Gwen
Giving up being Spiderman

Yeah. Bit more depth than 'Mr Stark doesn't trust me!'.

Sent from mTalk
Eh, I thought all of those things were handled quite poorly since I didn't believe in any of the characters, and the movies (especially the second one) were horribly paced messes of scripts. You can put in all of those elements but it doesn't necessarily make the movie interesting or deep. I don't need to see Ben get killed every reboot to understand Peter Parker's motivation.

Homecomings subtext was all about Spider-Man's desire for a father figure and his desire to gain approval and direction from a father figure. Stark was the surrogate father he sought and after he is effectively disowned by Stark the Vulture comes into the picture fulfilling a warped version of that role. Peters arc is complete when he rejects both would be father figures and sets his own path.

To me this has more depth and is more interesting than watching a movie with a bunch of cliche dramatic elements thrown in with no idea of how to use them in a cohesive, satisfying way

The Favourite

Took the day off today for my birthday and went with my wife to an afternoon session while my parents babysat our 9mo daughter. We chose this movie because of how much I absolutely loved The Lobster. The Favourite was just as strange as The Lobster and had some great acting performances, but overall it wasn't amazing. I kinda of felt like it didn't know what type of movie it wanted to be, so had a bunch of tonal shifts that didn't always seem intentional. When I asked my wife what she thought when we walked out, she simply replied with "What just happened?" haha.

I'd definitely recommend it if you've seen his other movies and liked them, but if you haven't, then I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

6.5 out of 10
This was one of my “favourite” films of the year. Thought it was fantastic

Dr Strange 1/10

Terrible story, unlikeable characters, dull CGI fight scenes, ridiculous turn back time and undo everything ex machina, guys with extreme superpowers resort to kicking and punching each other. The list goes on, but that's all it's worth of my time.

Half a point for the Beyonce joke and half a point for Rachel Mcadams' character's name - Mrs Palmer. 😂😂😂

Spiderman - Into The Spiderverse - have noticed plenty of recommendations for this movie, so went to have a look. And it's easy to see the appeal.

So much colour & movement. The animation is fresh & beautiful, such a pleasure to watch on the big screen.
And a really strong soundtrack to go with it.

A definite recommendation to see at a cinema, even if you're not familiar with any Spiderman movies.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy has been on telly lately, I'll give a quick one.

Fellowship: 9.5/10
Two Towers: 9.5/10
Return of the King: 10/10

Reason for those scores is I think the first two are improved by the extended editions, but RotK isn't... or the extended edition isn't as good on a movie that's already three and a half hours, so you'd flip my scores for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The editing of the amazing spider man movies was a mess and there was way too much going on the 2nd one espcially when they tried to shoe horn in a sinister six plot line. Too much studio interference. Thankfully sony learned their lesson with into the spiderverse.
First one was fine - second did not learn from Raimi’s Spider-Man 3

The Lord of the Rings trilogy has been on telly lately, I'll give a quick one.

Fellowship: 9.5/10
Two Towers: 9.5/10
Return of the King: 10/10

Reason for those scores is I think the first two are improved by the extended editions, but RotK isn't... or the extended edition isn't as good on a movie that's already three and a half hours, so you'd flip my scores for them.
I watched the first two about 6 months ago because I wanted to compare Helms Deep with some of the incredible GOT battle scenes and I realised I couldn't just watch the Helms Deep scene, but needed the full context. I haven't had a spare 4 hours to watch ROTK. That is, until tonight! My wife left on a business trip overseas and took my 9mo daughter with her so I'm home alone all week. ROTK will be the perfect distraction!

I actually really liked the 2nd Garfield movie, with one caveat.

The Electro storyline and character was pretty average. I think a version without that would've been a lot better.

Otherwise, the acting was great, it gave a different take on the same story, and it had actual stakes.

Second Amazing Spider-Man is good I reckon. It's got a similar structure to the second Raimi movie, but they do try to force too much in to it as it goes on which feels more like the third Raimi instead. Electro sorta gets forgotten and becomes a one dimensional villain... which is fine in itself, but they didn't startt him off that way thinking back to the Times Square scene. What I think holds it together is Gwen. Both those movies come across as like, the Gwen Stacey part of Parker's life and that wraps them up nicely.

Also, I think it is Hans Zimmer's most underrated score.

I watched the first two about 6 months ago because I wanted to compare Helms Deep with some of the incredible GOT battle scenes and I realised I couldn't just watch the Helms Deep scene, but needed the full context. I haven't had a spare 4 hours to watch ROTK. That is, until tonight! My wife left on a business trip overseas and took my 9mo daughter with her so I'm home alone all week. ROTK will be the perfect distraction!

Haven't seen GOT, but I think Helm's Deep has a better build up and more payoff than the battles from ROTK.

Haven't seen GOT, but I think Helm's Deep has a better build up and more payoff than the battles from ROTK.
Yeah, I remember that from first watching the series back when it came out in the cinema. Will report back after watching again tonight though!

There are a number of GOT episodes that are focused on massive set-piece battles and they are absolutely phenomenal. I actually think a couple of them pip Helms Deep, not just for the sheer spectacle, but also for the emotional build-up and payoff that they provide. Granted, with a TV series with many more hours to build that up it might not be a fair comparison, but that's just how I felt about them.

GET OUT is a fricking awesome 2nd time viewing, all the things that were intended to confuse on first watch all make sense and are given such sinister context.

No doubt one of the best horrors in recent years 9/10 (gave it an 8 when I first watched it).
Second time, I would have voted for it a third time if I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back