Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
I will laugh so damn hard if Davis does not end up with the Lakers.

So damn hard.

The only thing funnier than that would be for him to actually get traded there just in time for them to explode in dysfunction, LeBron's body packs up and find he has even less help because it's all been traded away.

The cherry on top would be he then returns to New Orleans as a free agent. ;)

nufan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Pelicans, Tottenham
The only thing funnier than that would be for him to actually get traded there just in time for them to explode in dysfunction, LeBron's body packs up and find he has even less help because it's all been traded away.

The cherry on top would be he then returns to New Orleans as a free agent. ;)
Ummm would we want a 30 year old free agent asking for the MAX again?
Especially with his injury history

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, New Orleans Pels
Anyone else getting nervous that we'll blink and trade before the deadline? No? Just me?

We'd be silly to, but then again we're the Pelicans.

Also, it depends what 'blink' means. If we get a good deal, particularly from a non-LA team, then there's no use waiting. Sure we might get a slightly better deal later, but then again we might not. Waiting would also delay all the other player trading decisions we have to make.

Of course this is all hypothetical. No point taking a mediocre deal now just because an offer is made. But an interesting offer from left field? I'm not adverse.

nufan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Pelicans, Tottenham

Also, it depends what 'blink' means. If we get a good deal, particularly from a non-LA team, then there's no use waiting. Sure we might get a slightly better deal later, but then again we might not. Waiting would also delay all the other player trading decisions we have to make.

Of course this is all hypothetical. No point taking a mediocre deal now just because an offer is made. But an interesting offer from left field? I'm not adverse.
We asked for 4 first rounders (not happening)
So we're negotiating. I'm nervous.
Very nervous.

There are now 2 Americans that should be strapped to their chairs away from their phones

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams

I should have been more clear and said trade to LA before the deadline. That kind of blink.
I'm not completely averse to a pre-deadline deal either if something amazing came along but I can't even imagine a possible scenario that could happen.

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
We asked for 4 first rounders (not happening)
So we're negotiating. I'm nervous.
Very nervous.

There are now 2 Americans that should be strapped to their chairs away from their phones

I couldn't tell from the wording of the tweet whether we're asking for four first round picks, or "four first and second round picks"... which might mean 2 x first and 2 x second.

Either way, not much the Lakers are offering particularly enthuses me.

nufan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Pelicans, Tottenham
I should have been more clear and said trade to LA before the deadline. That kind of blink.
I'm not completely averse to a pre-deadline deal either if something amazing came along but I can't even imagine a possible scenario that could happen.
I am too but with
I couldn't tell from the wording of the tweet whether we're asking for four first round picks, or "four first and second round picks"... which might mean 2 x first and 2 x second.

Call me pessimistic but I don't trust this GM to deal with the Lakers when our team isn't owned by the league.

The Lakers will be making the same offer in July, so the question is whether Tatum is on the table when Boston can deal. The Pels will know that LeBron is pushing Magic to get the deal done right now. He wont want to waste this season or next at his age.

Tatum is the single best player likely to be available to the Pels. If Boston don’t offer him is the Lakers player group better?

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
We've asked the world for AD from LA to trade him early and it sounds like they've baulked and finally pulled out of negotiations for now. Looks like he'll remain a Pelican til their Summer.

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Lakers will be making the same offer in July, so the question is whether Tatum is on the table when Boston can deal. The Pels will know that LeBron is pushing Magic to get the deal done right now. He wont want to waste this season or next at his age.

Tatum is the single best player likely to be available to the Pels. If Boston don’t offer him is the Lakers player group better?

Tatum's definitely the one with the highest ceiling. I'm not particularly high on any of the rest, Laker or Celtic. Jaylen Brown and Ingram show flashes, but neither inspires confidence that they're going to be a difference maker. Kuzma I see basically as the SF version of Randle - relatively high 'floor', low ceiling, what he giveth on offence he taketh away at the other end. Not convinced Rozier is a starting point guard at all. As for Lonzo, as I said in the main thread it's almost at the point where you hope for Rubio-level with him. Could work as a pass-first point guard if all the pieces around him complement him, but he's not good enough to justify building around him like that.

The picks Boston can offer are potentially better, albeit still not as mouthwatering as is often made out. The Memphis pick may take until 2021 to pay off, if at all, while the Clipper pick is guaranteed non-lottery and may not ever convey. Sac's pick looks certain to fall in the 12-18 range, which is nice but also meh. Given you really want top-5 picks to gain a puncher's chance at drafting an All-star level player, neither Boston or LA can currently offer that.

We've got to hope that a third team comes to the party, either as a rival bid or because they fancy taking a chance on Ingram, Brown, Ball or whoever and can offer us something decent in return. The problem with trading for Brown + Rozier or Ball + Ingram + Kuzma is that these guys are all going to want to get paid in a couple of years from now. And on a rebuilding, small-market team, they're going to be expecting big money. For that kind of commitment we cannot prosper if they're merely 'decent' players, they need to be demonstrably good players, difference makers.

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
It's worth taking stock of what today's trade does for Boston's picks from our POV.

Clippers pick is likely to be conveyed in 2020 IF they pull off Kawhi/Durant/whoever free agent sweep - most likely a pick in the 20s. If they miss out, it will probably not convey at all as it is lottery protected and will turn into a 2022 second round pick.

Sac's pick right now is probably more likely to fall into the 15-18 range. The Lakers are struggling, the Clips will probably fall away now. 8th seed in the West is wide open for the Kings now.

Also Memphis, from the Gasol and Conley rumours, will almost certainly keep their pick this year. Their pick is protected 1-6 in 2020, and unprotected in 2021.

So, from a 2019 perspective we can get a mid first (Sac's), and presumably Boston's which will fall in the 23-30 range. The Clippers pick will either be 15-30 in 2020, or a 2022 second rounder. The Memphis pick has the biggest chance to deliver, but cannot become a top 5 pick until 2021.

nufan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Pelicans, Tottenham
Mirotic gone to Milwaukee. ☹️
Pelicans receive Jason Smith, Stanley Johnson and 4 second round picks.
These seems petty from Dell. The other team who has been talking about Davis for ever, well guess what. We just made a team in your conference even better.
Suck it losers.

Plus we get Smitty back

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
These seems petty from Dell. The other team who has been talking about Davis for ever, well guess what. We just made a team in your conference even better.
Suck it losers.

Plus we get Smitty back

We own Washington now.

Well, the basketball team anyway

Or their second round picks at any rate.

nufan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Pelicans, Tottenham
IMG_20190208_062206.jpg

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
A few - mostly uneducated - thoughts:

- hopefully the All Star game is Davis last game for the season. There's fair evidence from recent results to argue that sitting him isn't tanking.

- I was slightly sad Dell got sacked. It was time to go but I like him.

- I don't have a preference for a new GM, I just hope it's not Sam Hinkie. He's traded Jrue once already.

- Alvin Gentry has been all class through the Davis saga, an excellent ambassador for the club in trying times. I still want him gone at the end of the season though.

- The silver lining in this debacle is there are signs the club might possibly be built like a proper basketball team this time, starting with the razing to the ground of the front office. Hopefully being thorough doesn't mean dawdling though and they move relatively quickly, firstly on finding a proper president of basketball operations.

- I prefer the idea of trading Davis to the Knicks. DSJ - Jrue - Zion/Barrett - Mirotic* - Okafor is appealing to me.

- Also appealing is Randle, Jackson, Kenrich, Robinson and Diallo on the bench.

- *Milwaukee have to re-up Brogdon and Middleton at the end of the season. I want Niko back.

- Smart - Jrue - Tatum - Mirotic - Okafor is also appealing.

- Lonzo - Jrue - Ingram - Kuzma - Okafor is decidedly unappealing.

- Anthony Davis is a snake.

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
It's a farce that he has been playing.

When you try and force a trade to one team - and let's face it, it was ONE team only - mid-season, while sitting out injured, while our season has already been shot to s**t... then you are persona non grata. Him playing thereafter was only ever going to be a lose/lose situation. How him and us 'going through the motions' is supposed to maintain league integrity is beyond me. Him leaving with Rasputin mid-game gives the league an out to finally do the sensible thing and shut him down - let's hope that they finally come to their senses. Nobody's paying a cent to come watch him in New Orleans any more, nobody.

Pretty much agree re. Demps and Gentry. They're not bad men, or even terrible at their respective jobs. They're just not great at their jobs either. It is possible to find good people - look at Brooklyn, Denver, or even Milwaukee compared to 12 months ago. Sean Marks, Tim Connolly and Jon Horst were not exactly hot property, or even household names. It can be done.

I don't know if I can bring myself to cheer for Marcus Smart. It goes against every fibre of my being.

Also, I hope rumours of a uniform makeover are true. I don't mind our navies, but our generic block red unis make me want to gouge my eyes out. Give me the mardi gras colours, or at least something halfway original.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Where did you hear about a uniform makeover? I actually quite like the red...

In terms of Marcus Smart, well, I never thought I could cheer for Lance Stephenson either...

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Back