Society/Culture Nobody has anything new to say about God.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
82. I don't understand much from that blog. I was given a star reading and I was surprised how accurate it was. And it wasn't in the vague way.
I thought you were 83 for some reason

If November 82 then the below will somewhat apply to you however it won't tell the full story because the house in which your north node resides influences your north node.

http://astroarena12.blogspot.com/2016/07/north-node-in-cancer-protective-soul.html?m=1

A good reading will be so precise. I got one from wayman (the guy in the above youtube talking about skeptics) and it is incredibly spot on. Like so precise and specific. It is mind blowing. I have read readings he has done for others that are also amazing.

I don't know gow it works but it does.

JCHolmes

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
If my gran has anything to say about it, there definetley is something in astrology. My question is to Nicky i guess, how did the planets, moon, sun etc get prescribed their true meaning? Like sun is self/ego, moon is emo reactions etc how did that come about? Who gave it its meaning? Aries is fire etc? Why is aries fire? Or a ram? Has the planets configurations changed since astrologys invention? Too many questions to take it serious and apply to reality imo.

My birth chart seems pretty cool though.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Ecouraging news:

1549581402600.png

http://www.pewforum.org/2018/06/13/the-age-gap-in-religion-around-the-world/

twotooto

late bloomer
Sep 26, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
This video is part of a 4 part series on psychological archetypes portrayed through film: The King, The Warrior, The Magician and The Lover.

This particular one is about the archetype of The Magician. A fascinating series.

There's also a lot more videos on recurring themes and 'life lessons', as portrayed through film, on the maker of the above video's channel linked here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs7nPQIEba0T3tGOWWsZpJQ/videos

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
This video is part of a 4 part series on psychological archetypes portrayed through film: The King, The Warrior, The Magician and The Lover.

This particular one is about the archetype of The Magician. A fascinating series.

There's also a lot more videos on recurring themes and 'life lessons', as portrayed through film, on the maker of the above video's channel linked here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs7nPQIEba0T3tGOWWsZpJQ/videos

Great post, thanks for that.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Is that a meth lab? :D

I very much doubt it. Looks biochem related.

However, my point is that these people take bits and pieces of things and construct new things from them. They are the true wizards/magicians.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Just got back from a 10 day Vipassana retreat, one of the toughest things I've ever done on an intellectual and emotional level but well worth it for me.

In this 10 day silent retreat I did around 100 hours of meditation along with listening to 10-15 hours of lectures. Impossible to explain all this in a paragraph but I'll scratch the surface.

Interesting that the Vipassana/Buddhist meditation technique when taught in the tradition of Buddha from some 2500 years ago has no time for deities/creators/worship/organized religion/cults/sects/gurus etc. it was suggested that man was not created in gods image, it was the other way around ie. man created "god" in his own image. It is also suggested that we are all part of the natural universe and we need to get in touch with this reality and when you do you will be fully liberated. They talk about sub atomic particles along with bodily chemical reactions.

It struck a chord with me and ignited a desire for more research.

Total Power nicky

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
Just got back from a 10 day Vipassana retreat, one of the toughest things I've ever done on an intellectual and emotional level but well worth it for me.

In this 10 day silent retreat I did around 100 hours of meditation along with listening to 10-15 hours of lectures. Impossible to explain all this in a paragraph but I'll scratch the surface.

Interesting that the Vipassana/Buddhist meditation technique when taught in the tradition of Buddha from some 2500 years ago has no time for deities/creators/worship/organized religion/cults/sects/gurus etc. it was suggested that man was not created in gods image, it was the other way around ie. man created "god" in his own image. It is also suggested that we are all part of the natural universe and we need to get in touch with this reality and when you do you will be fully liberated. They talk about sub atomic particles along with bodily chemical reactions.

Total Power nicky

God is a loaded word and meaning varies from person to person, context to context.When Buddhists use the word, it is rarely in the anthropomorphic sense meant in the Abrahamic religions but rather in some 'ultimate reality' or 'peak experience' or 'Truth' sense or infinite field of consciousness we are all connected to. There is no way to describe it, other than "emptiness". There is no way to describe emptiness, cause we don't know what it is.

For example in the book Nagarjuna's Reason Sixty by Loizzo, Candrakirti says:

"the perfectly enlightened buddhas-proclaimed, "What is dependently created is uncreated."

"Likewise, here as well, the Lord Buddha’s pronouncement that "What is dependently created is objectively uncreated"

You might want to read more on dependent organisation. Dependent origination is exactly the meaning of non-arising -- Manjushri states in PP sutras "Whatever arises dependently, just that does not arise in truth.". In short, nothing we see arises "independent" of anything.

Anything outside of that refers to "emptiness". Hence we are all uncreated "beings". What needs a cause doesn't need creation, it's arises by itself through a series of cause and effect. This wont go down well with creationists or catholicis or followers of organised religion. But i honestly don't care, i have copped enough abuse from both atheists and theists alike who won't believe in anything outside of what science (or materialism is better word) tells them or their books tell them.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
it was suggested that man was not created in gods image, it was the other way around ie. man created "god" in his own image. It is also suggested that we are all part of the natural universe and we need to get in touch with this reality and when you do you will be fully liberated. They talk about sub atomic particles along with bodily chemical reactions.

Probably the sanest "spritual" commentary I have read in this thread.

Physically, "you" are immortal, it's just that your "self" won't be around to experience it.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Probably the sanest "spritual" commentary I have read in this thread.

Physically, "you" are immortal, it's just that your "self" won't be around to experience it.
There was so much mentioned that I was not expecting, ie. vibrations, hydrogen, action and reaction, the big bang (although they say the universe is eternal), Buddhism has been corrupted over the centuries and been co opted into religious dogma. Vipassana/Buddhism in its purest form and put as succinctly as I can is merely self observation of your bodily processes down to a micro level.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
There was so much mentioned that I was not expecting, ie. vibrations, hydrogen, action and reaction, the big bang (although they say the universe is eternal), Buddhism has been corrupted over the centuries and been co opted into religious dogma. Vipassana/Buddhism in its purest form and put as succinctly as I can is merely self observation of your bodily processes down to a micro level.

Sounds like they are embellishing a lot of physical science material these days.

You didn't have to journey to any "Vipassana retreat" to work this out. You could have gone to the library and read a couple of undergrad text books.

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal

Like any other religion, Buddhism is now an organised religion as well but it's spirituality 101 regardless. Buddha himself said not to believe in anything written in the books or not to follow him even, but to find out the 'truth' through meditation and the noble eighfold path. Which is what i said about a million times in this thread. Unfortunately, 'knowledge' is handed out these days like an advertising leaflet, i strongly oppose that. I have mentioned not to believe in anything i am saying a million times too. Everyone can access this 'knowledge', it just takes time and patience and a lot of hard work but what won't happen is showing this "experience" **** under a microscope, which is what the ignorant ones here will accept as evidence.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Sounds like they are embellishing a lot of physical science material these days.

You didn't have to journey to any "Vipassana retreat" to work this out. You could have gone to the library and read a couple of undergrad text books.
I really enjoyed the getting away from the outside world and noble silence aspects of the retreat, the whole purpose of this is to remove as much distraction as possible and I did get some good results from the long periods of self observation/meditation.

Also I couldn't agree more with Total Power s last sentence in his post above ie. #5048, anyway I seriously missed exercise while I was away and I'm off on a long run, check back in with you wonderful human beings later.

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
I really enjoyed the getting away from the outside world and noble silence aspects of the retreat, the whole purpose of this is to remove as much distraction as possible and I did get some good results from the long periods of self observation/meditation.

Also I couldn't agree more with Total Power s last sentence in his post above ie. #5048, anyway I seriously missed exercise while I was away and I'm off on a long run, check back in with you wonderful human beings later.

Keep at it jason..at worst you will have long lasting mental and physical benefit. At the heart of Vipassana meditation is mindfulness. Science despite lumping meditation with pseduoscience for centuries have finally come to the conclusion that it can actually change your brain physically for good. Plenty of research online for this, but it only took the infamous Harvard experiement in the 80s for it to become science. I am hopeful one day science will get there, it has made a lot of progress already thanks to Sir Roger Pensore, Christof Koch et all

Back