Past #26: Tarryn Thomas - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally i dont have a problem with observing that a lot of aboriginal players have certain footballing characteristics of awareness and touch that non-aborigiinals dont However in the spirit of Reconciliation on australia day might be best to let this subject go
I don't have a problem with it either. What is problematic is the assumption some people make that this is some sort of innate magical voodoo and not the result of the same amount of sheer hard work and skills repetition that produces elite footballers from other environments.

Not that you were saying that. I just latched on to your post at random.

I don’t think you’re whinging but I think you’re taking offence where none was intended.

I also think it’s pretty fair to say that indigenous football history is not littered with big key position forwards. Yes buddy is a freak and Goodes was a gun (though not and all time great KPF). Hey I might be missing 1 or 2 others but other than buddy how many indigenous players have won the Coleman? How many have won a Brownlow?
Sick of reading about this great bloody divide on social media, let's give it a break here. They are all footy players doing what they do best (sometimes) let's get behind them.

They have hardly had much of a chance to litter KP forwards mate. While we currently have 10 percent of AFL players as indigenous (http://community.afl/indigenous/players), it has exploded only recently.

Poverty, socio economic factors, and general racism in sport and life in general played a large role in there being very few opportunities for them to enter football as a paid professional. Before the 80's, there was just a handful of players. Something like 20 players between the turn of the 19th century through till the 1970s. Polly Farmer was one. It was actually the Krakouers and the advent of the Eagles entering the comp that we aboriginals formed any identity at all in the game.

I mean, we can still keep thinking that indigenous people are 'generally' not strong or KP, but I recommend having a good look at those pictures from the link I posted. There is no 'typical' indigenous player.
Indigenous players not strong, Buddy would say something about that. Even our boy Kyron is'nt even close to a light weight. He was pushing weights like an Olympic weight lifter when he was at Subi.

I'm whinging am I? No I'm asking you to explain your further statements about how its obvious a KP thing. Which I see that you are not. I mean, if I look back at the last 15 years and look at the 5 people who played most like Carey, goods would be in it and buddy would be at the top.

To say that the style of football played in remote indigenous communities is different is a non point, and kinda just further shows some kind of unconscious bias that just puts a race into a single boat. I'm sure its different between those communities themselves, its different back in my hometown league from Melbourne leagues for instance.

I might do that in a pm.

Bit perplexed by some willful ignorance here
Wells Winston krakouers
They play A CERTAIN WAY FFS

Yeah, they were all rover/half forward types. Higgins is in the same category.

Boomer, GAJ and Akermanis are other players that would've suited the stereotypical narrative had they identified as indigenous.

In the immortal words of Karl Langdon after being informed that Daniel Kerr - who had just said played like so many other indigenous greats before him - is actually of Indian heritage:

"Well, we're all indigenous to somewhere"

His endurance ‘concerns’ are over stated. Handling the step up to AFL training standards with ease.

Also a lot more physically developed than most expected. Already put on 2-3kg since the end of his junior playing season.

Been playing across half forward & wing in the match sim so I’m tipping that’s where he’ll play in the VFL with stints on the ball.

Has shown his elite vision on a number of Occassion so far during training. Also displays natural footy smarts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey all, Im only here because I need some insiders here to give me an inside scoop on TT?
Im picking him up in in SC, whats his pre season been like?
Is he likely to come into your 22?>

Don't see him being a big SC player from the get go. He's far more like to be a 15 touches, five tackles and a goal, but a really important goal, and "big" tackles type.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2019-02-08/draftees-good-first-impressions

Tarryn Thomas
“Tarryn’s been really impressive so far.
“He’s developed both on and off field and got some really professional habits in place, and I think we’re now seeing him get the rewards for that on the track.
“Physically he’s in a really good position to play AFL football and as a young player, it’s about continuing to develop to face the physical demands of the game, to ensure he can get himself into the best possible position to play some good JLT games and go forward from there.
“He’s been very impressive with his contest work, he’s very composed with ball in hand, and I think all the players love the tackle pressure that he brings as well.
“He’s been very exciting.”

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2019-02-08/draftees-good-first-impressions

Tarryn Thomas
“Tarryn’s been really impressive so far.
“He’s developed both on and off field and got some really professional habits in place, and I think we’re now seeing him get the rewards for that on the track.
“Physically he’s in a really good position to play AFL football and as a young player, it’s about continuing to develop to face the physical demands of the game, to ensure he can get himself into the best possible position to play some good JLT games and go forward from there.
“He’s been very impressive with his contest work, he’s very composed with ball in hand, and I think all the players love the tackle pressure that he brings as well.
“He’s been very exciting.”
Could be the next Mitch Duncan.

Who isn't salivating at watching a forward line consisting of Thomas, Garner, Simpkin, Wood, Zeibell and Brown? Tough, quick and good in the air.

Box of tissues much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back