Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Perhaps. Who knows. We haven't won one yet with a list of A-graders. Maybe a few more role players might be what we need?
I dont think we've ever lacked talent and still dont.I liked our finals last year and I'm pretty bullish about this year. 20+ games from Toby, William's and Kelly would seriously help.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
We'll lose a couple more stars and at least one high draft pick at the end of the season.

The good news is we keep on getting high draft picks to compensate and some of them will fill the shoes and spread the age of the playing list. Plus there is nothing wrong with a few diamonds in the rough making their way through either.
Who is the couple you mention?

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Good to have Haynes and Daniels re-signed early in the year and I was surprised with the length for Haynes but I think the club would offer Tomlinson the same length so interesting to see what happens there for him. Any ideas on salary for Haynes? 500-600 would be my guess and great to have Greene and Haynes from the original draft signed up for likely their whole career
Still plenty of work to be done on the contracts this year and hopefully one of Kelly/Coniglio sign before the season starts or I would be happy with one of the Tomlinson/HH/Hopper or a couple of the draftees

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Good to have Haynes and Daniels re-signed early in the year and I was surprised with the length for Haynes but I think the club would offer Tomlinson the same length so interesting to see what happens there for him. Any ideas on salary for Haynes? 500-600 would be my guess and great to have Greene and Haynes from the original draft signed up for likely their whole career
Still plenty of work to be done on the contracts this year and hopefully one of Kelly/Coniglio sign before the season starts or I would be happy with one of the Tomlinson/HH/Hopper or a couple of the draftees
It's a guess but a but light for Haynes I think. Hard to know if there's a discount for l8ng term security. I have thought he's wirth $800k as season though. He's not McGovern but he's in the top handfulof loose talls in the comp in my view.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
It's a guess but a but light for Haynes I think. Hard to know if there's a discount for l8ng term security. I have thought he's wirth $800k as season though. He's not McGovern but he's in the top handfulof loose talls in the comp in my view.

I think the long term is what makes me think 500-600 and people need to remember i think match payments are $5000 so wether the amounts quoted by people take that into account I am not sure and how that works with the salary cap the same i am not sure but 20 games is 100k so if a player stays on the park they will earn a significant amount through the match payments

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I think the long term is what makes me think 500-600 and people need to remember i think match payments are $5000 so wether the amounts quoted by people take that into account I am not sure and how that works with the salary cap the same i am not sure but 20 games is 100k so if a player stays on the park they will earn a significant amount through the match payments
I dont think match payments are necessarily there after the initial contracts. The view seems to be they aren't usually for the bigger contracts.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I dont think match payments are necessarily there after the initial contracts. The view seems to be they aren't usually for the bigger contracts.

One of the clauses does set that out so it may be the case
(d) The minimum base payment and minimum Senior Match payments shall apply to all Players other than those excluded under item 0(a) of this Schedule C whose current contracts provide for lesser amounts
I still think 600k for 5 years for Haynes is around the mark taking into account him signing on for less than market value to try and win one or more flags with this playing group

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/gws-poised-to-retain-josh-kelly-20190225-p5106j.html

Another article on the Kelly contract and doesn't really share any new info but it does put up the possibility of signing for 2 more years to take him to free agency
For most players signing until free agency allows for a big pay check but I think josh will get that here and now should he go

I think he signs for 3-5 years with us or he goes somewhere else for big bucks.

Not sure free agency comes into it as much with him

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
For most players signing until free agency allows for a big pay check but I think josh will get that here and now should he go

I think he signs for 3-5 years with us or he goes somewhere else for big bucks.

Not sure free agency comes into it as much with him
I think it's time for Josh to s**t or get off the potty. Generally I get the two year contract that allow a players value to be reviewed, but it's disruptive to go through this in the press every two years.

Leon made it clear the offer is 5 years, and I kinda hope that's the clubs position.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I think it's time for Josh to s**t or get off the potty. Generally I get the two year contract that allow a players value to be reviewed, but it's disruptive to go through this in the press every two years.

Leon made it clear the offer is 5 years, and I kinda hope that's the clubs position.

We still have this s**t with contracted players so what difference does it make? Newspapers need to be sold, it's just the way it is.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
We still have this s**t with contracted players so what difference does it make? Newspapers need to be sold, it's just the way it is.
It's not the press or the effect on supporters I was talking about. Like most of us I got a rude and unpleasant shock in trade period last year. I'm not sure that matters much in the big picture though. I get the speculation wont end in any case.

I dont believe Josh or any other player will win us our maiden flag. A team of players who believe in themselves, and most importantly each other will.
Certainly Josh can contribute positively to that, but he needs to commit.

If it drags on through the season it must have an impact. Other players contracts would be affected his decision as well, which will be a justified large contract. By waiting he likely delays their's getting resolved.

Leon's treading a tight line publicly I think because he wants him to stay, but he also made it clear he wants it resolved.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
It's not the press or the effect on supporters I was talking about. Like most of us I got a rude and unpleasant shock in trade period last year. I'm not sure that matters much in the big picture though. I get the speculation wont end in any case.

I dont believe Josh or any other player will win us our maiden flag. A team of players who believe in themselves, and most importantly each other will.
Certainly Josh can contribute positively to that, but he needs to commit.

If it drags on through the season it must have an impact. Other players contracts would be affected his decision as well, which will be a justified large contract. By waiting he likely delays their's getting resolved.

Leon's treading a tight line publicly I think because he wants him to stay, but he also made it clear he wants it resolved.

i think you need to stop blaming Josh for Dev Smith leaving. Trade week is a buyers market and the salary cap only allows a team to keep so many star players. You can go through 10 years of drafts to get a player like Kelly, every club in the league would fit him in if he told them he wanted to play for them.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
i think you need to stop blaming Josh for Dev Smith leaving. Trade week is a buyers market and the salary cap only allows a team to keep so many star players. You can go through 10 years of drafts to get a player like Kelly, every club in the league would fit him in if he told them he wanted to play for them.
It's pretty obvious to me it had an affect, but I'm not actually blaming him for anything, that's a bit silly.

I really dont give a flying * what other clubs would do. I dont accept that 17 other clubs would offer him a million a season though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back