Current National Public Register of Child Sex Offenders

Do you think a public register you can access is a good idea?

• Yes.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Yes and I want alerts every time someone is registered.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Yes but will everyone see my old carnal knowledge conviction? She told me she was 16yo.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes but vigilantism is a concern.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Yes, provided the evidence shows it to be effective.

• No. It isn't going to end well.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Child sex offenders could have their names and photos uploaded to a public register in what is being described as the "toughest crackdown on paedophiles" in Australian history.

Home Affairs Minister has written to states and territories urging them to support his proposal for a national database, saying parents should be able to see if sex criminals live nearby.

Details that could be included on the website include an offender's name, date of birth, photo, the nature of their offending, and their general location, such as their postcode.

States and territories would feed information into the national database, meaning the Commonwealth would need their support.
In Western Australia, people can search for dangerous and high-risk offenders who live in the suburb and adjoining suburbs

It is unclear whether all perpetrators would be listed or only those who committed certain types of offences.
Offenders under the age of 18 would not have their details on the register.

Derryn Hinch wants register named after Daniel Morcombe

"I can die happy, this is the only reason I got into politics," Senator Hinch said of the announcement.
He said any new legislation should be known as 'Daniel's Law' — named after Queensland 13-year-old Daniel Morcombe, who was abducted and murdered by sex offender Brett Cowan in 2003.

While welcoming the plan, the Justice Party representative said it should go further and include offenders' addresses.

Daniel Morcombe's mother, Denise Morcombe, said the register was a "fantastic" plan.

Ms Morcombe said the register would help parents and carers better protect their children by allowing people to know how many registered offenders are in their area.

She said it would also help protect single mothers who may be trying to find a new partner online.

"If they meet someone, they'll be able to put that person's name into the website and see if this person is a serious offender or not."
But child safety advocate Hetty Johnson from Bravehearts suggested the proposal was more about winning votes than protecting children.

"It's a bit of a chest-beating exercise that will lead to nothing."

Ms Johnson warned that only 10 per cent of child sex offenders were known to authorities.

Concerns raised over possibility of vigilante attacks

The Australian Institute of Criminology, which reports to the Home Affairs Minister, last year published a research paper that found "the effectiveness of public sex offender registries [is] mixed".

"While public sex offender registries may have a small general deterrent effect on first-time offenders, they do not reduce recidivism," the authors wrote.

Federal Labor said it was important any changes were "evidence-based and effective".
"Mr Dutton must show how this makes children safer," shadow attorney-general Mark Dreyfus said.​
"When this was raised a few years ago, then-prime minister [Tony] Abbott rejected it.

"It would be good to know what has changed since then."

President of the Law Council of Australia, Arthur Moses SC, said while he supported the idea of a register in principle, he believed names should only be added at the discretion of a sentencing court, rather than on an automatic basis.

He also said he was concerned about potential vigilante attacks on listed offenders.

"We need to make sure people do not commit offences as they potentially engage in some form of retribution in relation to these offenders," Mr Moses said.

He said the establishment of similar registers in the United States had shown they "do not necessarily prevent sex offending in the general community".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01...s-national-database-of-sex-offenders/10701202

In related news, this man was moved into a street full of women and children.

A supervision order dictating living arrangements and curfews for serial sex offender Robert John Fardon has been lifted by a Queensland court.

A decision to lift the order was handed down by Justice Helen Bowskill last week, but media were asked to leave the hearing and blocked from accessing and reporting her ruling.

The order was made public this morning.

Timeline:

1967 - Convicted at 18 for attempted carnal knowledge of a girl under 10. Released on a good behaviour bond.

1978 - Raped a 12-year-old girl, wounded her sister. Fled to the Northern Territory but was caught and jailed.

1988 - Broke parole by travelling to Townsville. Violently raped and assaulted a woman. Sent back to jail.

2003 - Became the first person in Queensland to be jailed indefinitely under new laws targeting repeat sex offenders.

2006 - Released on a supervision order with 32 conditions.

2007 - Breached the order by going to a school, breaching curfew and travelling to Townsville. He's briefly returned to prison before released in October.

2008 - Re-arrested over rape of a 61-year-old intellectually disabled woman.

2010 - Sentenced to 10 years' jail for the rape. The conviction was quashed on appeal a few months later but Fardon remained in jail due to other earlier breaches of a supervision order.

2011 - Government launches lengthy court battle to keep him in jail.

2013 - Released on supervision order.

2014 - Brief return to prison before court orders Fardon's release into supervised accommodation.

2018, September - Queensland government rushes through new child sex offender laws which automatically apply tough monitoring and reporting conditions to repeat offenders.

2018, November - Queensland government makes a court bid for Fardon to remain monitored by a supervision order under the Dangerous Prisoners (Sexual Offenders) Act 2003.

2019 - Court dismisses Queensland government's application for a further supervision order under that act. Fardon will still be monitored by police under the new legislation.

https://www.9news.com.au/2019/01/16...-serial-sex-offender-supervision-order-lifted

Given that record he should have been deemed uncontrollable and kept in jail

Though also given he hasnt reoffended since 2013 either highlights the success supervision had or he has learnt to control his behaviour.

Interesting topic I thought I’d write on. Not sure if it’s been discussed before on here.

Recently the SOR has been getting quite a bit of publicity for a potential policy to be passed. The idea I gather is to try and make people aware of released offenders living in their area to attempt to make the area safer. This is essentially where the logic of it ends for me. At some point offenders will be released, so there is no avoiding that. But how exactly does providing a guide to where these people live actually make it safer?

Personally, I don’t think it does. In fact all it’ll do is attempt to create an environment of fear and control, I mean, what can you do? Not head out with your kids to a park or strip of shops because there might be an offender out there? At what age are you letting your kids out on their own anyway? Does this just stop you living your life? What can you actually do anyway knowing where someone might live? Wouldn’t we think that a large majority of these offenders might not want to be reoffending again?

As a policy it really doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, I mean I’d be more concerned about people out there who haven’t been caught that may offend as opposed to those given a second chance. I think it only serves to provide an unnecessary level of fear amongst people, it really doesn’t offer anything in a way that I think can prevent these crimes happening again.

Instead of actually working towards a concept of stopping people reoffending whilst being released, why are we just putting forth a scare campaign tactic?

I am sure there’ll be some well educated people out there that can provide some insight on this as well.

The ostracising and the isolation this brings to released offenders risks them slipping in to what they know best. Offending!

We have to place trust in our courts and psychs who offer expert opinion on ther likelyhood of reoffending.
This is hard as courts have failed the community before and it will happen again by either not sentencing long enough in the first place or parolling without appropriate conditions in place. These cases also get the most media attention where they sit in the forefront of our psyche.

No easy solution. Tolerance of a released sex offender tests anybody’s resolve.

The ostracising and the isolation this brings to released offenders risks them slipping in to what they know best. Offending!

We have to place trust in our courts and psychs who offer expert opinion on ther likelyhood of reoffending.
This is hard as courts have failed the community before and it will happen again by either not sentencing long enough in the first place or parolling without appropriate conditions in place. These cases also get the most media attention where they sit in the forefront of our psyche.

No easy solution. Tolerance of a released sex offender tests anybody’s resolve.
Do you think having a register will actually prevent reoffending though?

Do you think having a register will actually prevent reoffending though?
Not at all.
Just creates fear in the perpetrator and anger in the community. Nothing good can come from it.
Then you will have the situation of communities saying not in my backyard , move them.

Then you have an expensive problem which the taxpayer will have to remedy.

Not at all.
Just creates fear in the perpetrator and anger in the community. Nothing good can come from it.
Then you will have the situation of communities saying not in my backyard , move them.

Then you have an expensive problem which the taxpayer will have to remedy.
Bingo, if someone’s determined to re-offend, a SOR isn’t going to stop them from doing so.

All you are doing is pushing those who otherwise probably wouldn’t re-offend closer to those risk factors which led them to do so in the first place.

In related news, this man was moved into a street full of women and children.

A supervision order dictating living arrangements and curfews for serial sex offender Robert John Fardon has been lifted by a Queensland court.

A decision to lift the order was handed down by Justice Helen Bowskill last week, but media were asked to leave the hearing and blocked from accessing and reporting her ruling.

The order was made public this morning.

Timeline:

1967 - Convicted at 18 for attempted carnal knowledge of a girl under 10. Released on a good behaviour bond.

1978 - Raped a 12-year-old girl, wounded her sister. Fled to the Northern Territory but was caught and jailed.

1988 - Broke parole by travelling to Townsville. Violently raped and assaulted a woman. Sent back to jail.

2003 - Became the first person in Queensland to be jailed indefinitely under new laws targeting repeat sex offenders.

2006 - Released on a supervision order with 32 conditions.

2007 - Breached the order by going to a school, breaching curfew and travelling to Townsville. He's briefly returned to prison before released in October.

2008 - Re-arrested over rape of a 61-year-old intellectually disabled woman.

2010 - Sentenced to 10 years' jail for the rape. The conviction was quashed on appeal a few months later but Fardon remained in jail due to other earlier breaches of a supervision order.

2011 - Government launches lengthy court battle to keep him in jail.

2013 - Released on supervision order.

2014 - Brief return to prison before court orders Fardon's release into supervised accommodation.

2018, September - Queensland government rushes through new child sex offender laws which automatically apply tough monitoring and reporting conditions to repeat offenders.

2018, November - Queensland government makes a court bid for Fardon to remain monitored by a supervision order under the Dangerous Prisoners (Sexual Offenders) Act 2003.

2019 - Court dismisses Queensland government's application for a further supervision order under that act. Fardon will still be monitored by police under the new legislation.

https://www.9news.com.au/2019/01/16...-serial-sex-offender-supervision-order-lifted
Based on that history I’d be keeping him locked away forever.

I’m not against having a SOR, but know full well that it will not be used as it’s being sold to us.
Cover-ups have and will happen- well connected, important, influential people would likely be not placed on there, whilst teens exchanging a couple of sexting messages, or a man maliciously accused, end up as registered offenders.
Basically a reflection of what happens now legally- the system can be abused.
I’d rather trust a panel of people from here to decide who warrants being on it (or not), as most decision makers have demonstrated repeatedly how out of touch they are with community expectations.
For it to be successful, it would have to be black or white- but lawyers will smudge it into the grey areas.

I’m not against having a SOR, but know full well that it will not be used as it’s being sold to us.
Cover-ups have and will happen- well connected, important, influential people would likely be not placed on there, whilst teens exchanging a couple of sexting messages, or a man maliciously accused, end up as registered offenders.
Thats the concern for me

Where does it stop or start?

At the end of the day if you are a dangerous or repeat offender then you should be in jail not in a register, experts and even child welfare groups stated that a public register doesent work .

WA offers a service that looks quite safe actually, it's not a free for all that anybody can get into without an application and there are strong warnings not to:

• engage in any conduct that will create, promote or increase animosity toward or harassment of a person identified by this site; or
  • publish, distribute or display any photographs or personal information provided by this site without the prior written approval from the Minister for Police.
https://www.communityprotection.wa.gov.au/

The website will enable parents and guardians to make enquiries with Western Australia Police Force about any person who has unsupervised contact to their child or children.

The website provides three tiers of information access to ensure that families and the public have information on known sex offenders, which will assist with the protection and safety of children and the community.

The Community Protection website will not publish the photograph, personal details or release any information of an offender who is under the age of 18 years.

The three tiers are:

• missing offenders - provides photographs and personal details of reportable offenders who have either failed to comply with their reporting obligations, provided false or misleading information to police and whose location or whereabouts is not known to police
  • local search - provides photographs of dangerous and high risk offenders in your suburb or surrounding suburbs
  • disclosure scheme - allows a parent or guardian of a child to inquire about a specific person who has regular contact with their child
Tier 2 and 3 will require you to provide some personal details and submit an application.

Applications can be processed online.

https://www.wa.gov.au/service/security/law-enforcement/access-registered-sex-offender-information

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WA offers a service that looks quite safe actually, it's not a free for all that anybody can get into without an application and there are strong warnings not to:

• engage in any conduct that will create, promote or increase animosity toward or harassment of a person identified by this site; or
  • publish, distribute or display any photographs or personal information provided by this site without the prior written approval from the Minister for Police.
https://www.communityprotection.wa.gov.au/

The website will enable parents and guardians to make enquiries with Western Australia Police Force about any person who has unsupervised contact to their child or children.

The website provides three tiers of information access to ensure that families and the public have information on known sex offenders, which will assist with the protection and safety of children and the community.

The Community Protection website will not publish the photograph, personal details or release any information of an offender who is under the age of 18 years.

The three tiers are:

• missing offenders - provides photographs and personal details of reportable offenders who have either failed to comply with their reporting obligations, provided false or misleading information to police and whose location or whereabouts is not known to police
  • local search - provides photographs of dangerous and high risk offenders in your suburb or surrounding suburbs
  • disclosure scheme - allows a parent or guardian of a child to inquire about a specific person who has regular contact with their child
Tier 2 and 3 will require you to provide some personal details and submit an application.

Applications can be processed online.

https://www.wa.gov.au/service/security/law-enforcement/access-registered-sex-offender-information

It sounds like the WA government have it right. Carefully managed.

The initial proposals were a bit willy nilly. Its worth some inquiries on how some people end up with sex offenses. Some cases are really weird.

That moment someone is caught with Simpsons pr0n, or a woman says she has been raped to the chemist because she needs the morning after pill after a night out on Tinder.

Then some mentally ill whacko goes and kills them. Authorities have to make sure the wrong sort of people don't murder the boy who went from 15 to 16 and slept with his 15 year old girlfriend.

Police want management of predators, or so my old AFP lecturer says anyway. This is where the complexity lies.

Last edited:

2 child sex predators caught Adelaide area. Not sure where to post this so I found a thread that did the job.
( * Feel free to repost Kurve )

Back