AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper

Remove this Banner Ad

Young rucks in their early 20s after several years of development are probably one of the most valuable commodities on an AFL list. You've put a considerable investment into them but as yet haven't got much reward. Its no real stretch to suggest he would be very high on our most valuable list despite not playing a game at senior level. Good rucks tend to be capable of going on past their 30s more frequently than other roles too.

I've really liked what I've heard about him throughout the year in the VFL and am really looking forward to seeing him at senior level in the near future. It will be tough this year with Bellchambers the clear no 1 and Clarke impressing so far. Retaining him on our list as he enters his prime is probably one of the single most important challenges of our list management.

Listed on Fox Sport website as being our first debutante for 2019:

ESSENDON — Sam Draper
The uncapped 203cm ruckman is coming off the back of an impressive 2018 VFL campaign and looks ready for his first taste of senior footy. Strong and aggressive, Draper has worked to improve his forward craft and, with some good pre-season form, could edge ahead of new recruit Zac Clarke in the pecking order. Should Tom Bellchambers miss with injury, don’t be surprised to see the 20-year-old get the call-up.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ev...e/news-story/c8373d555910e6dd94ffa1432f467bd9

I'm worried about losing him. I have no basis for it other than he's out of contract at the end of this season.

I wouldn’t worry about it.

Any of them any good?
I haven't seen them other than a decent debut from Frampton against us. But they're hardly in need of one. Reilly O'Brien has good things talked about him for Adelaide too, not to mention Kieran Strachan

Draper looking the goods, kicked 3 goals.

Edit: For whatever reason the video doesn’t want to show up for me but hopefully it does for you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draper looking the goods, kicked 3 goals.

Edit: For whatever reason the video doesn’t want to show up for me but hopefully it does for you.

If you click on the tweet it will take you to twitter where the video works properly. Might be worth whinging to Chief about the embed not working properly here though. :eyes:

If you click on the tweet it will take you to twitter where the video works properly. Might be worth whinging to Chief about the embed not working properly here though. :eyes:
lol! Chief doesn’t care!

That's a fine effort up forward from Draper. If he can develop his forward craft he'll see AFL time way sooner than if he can't. Particularly as Bellchambers is pretty good up forward himself, which is why him and Ryder were a good combo back in the day.

In saying that I don't think I can picture the Daniher/Smack/Draper forward line being a thing. Well they'd really have to be offering a lot offensively because defensively it would stink. But who knows Smack isn't exactly a lock for his position no matter what. Brown/Stewart are still in the picture. In fact I think Brown gets neglected a fair bit, he actually played really well for us last season and really put in huge gps numbers in some of our games covering 15k's which is a point of difference from our other key forwards.

That's a fine effort up forward from Draper. If he can develop his forward craft he'll see AFL time way sooner than if he can't. Particularly as Bellchambers is pretty good up forward himself, which is why him and Ryder were a good combo back in the day.

In saying that I don't think I can picture the Daniher/Smack/Draper forward line being a thing. Well they'd really have to be offering a lot offensively because defensively it would stink. But who knows Smack isn't exactly a lock for his position no matter what. Brown/Stewart are still in the picture. In fact I think Brown gets neglected a fair bit, he actually played really well for us last season and really put in huge gps numbers in some of our games covering 15k's which is a point of difference from our other key forwards.

Kicked the goals from Rucking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back