Discussion Random Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
disagree .. as my local haunt ive been going there for years and the food quality is exactly the same as it was 15 years ago .. they spent some big money on the carriage for people to dine in and the cleaned up the outside area but the feel of the place is still the same (same staff and same cook out the back) they did put the price up but that's kinda understandable but for the most part its still the same Alfreds … was there on Wednesday night and its exactly the same as it was
Couldnt disagree more. Mates a chef. Knew the owner. Sold up. Been going there for 30 years. It changed mate. They cut costs on how they were making the patties, ketchup etc. The food is rushed too. Bacon isn't what it once was. Same for the pea and ham.

Sadly not what it once was. Anyone who had been there in the 90s would know. When it didn't have the backroom extension and was just the front counter with the kitchen where the pea and ham is now.

Even my missus who didn't grow up in the area noticed the change around the mid 00s

Wow Brisbane Heat just scored 158 for no wickets off 10 overs to beat Melbourne Stars . Incredible effort , Cutting - 81 not out of 30 , Bryant - 71 not out of 30 . Between them they hit 13 sixes and 10 fours .

Must go down as one of the biggest thrashing done to Melbourne Stars in their short history.

Don’t Panic !!

Wow Brisbane Heat just scored 158 for no wickets off 10 overs to beat Melbourne Stars . Incredible effort , Cutting - 81 not out of 30 , Bryant - 71 not out of 30 . Between them they hit 13 sixes and 10 fours .

Must go down as one of the biggest thrashing done to Melbourne Stars in their short history.

Don’t Panic !!
Your don’t panic signature is quite appropriate for that one

Don’t Panic !!
The Stars are doing thier traditional choke. If they manage to beat the Sixers they'll choke in the finals.

I believe a tour of the Freo jail is excellent. I say “believe” because we could not get a ticket it was so busy there. So book if you want to go.

Also, if you are into Gin, in the Swan Valley near the wineries is a small distillery, “OldYoungs”, and the owner does very good tasting sessions with some history thrown in. I’m not a gin drinker, but I found the tasting interesting and different from the usual wineries. Also maybe worth booking if you can because it’s small although we just pitched up.

I could get you into the jail.

Couldnt disagree more. Mates a chef. Knew the owner. Sold up. Been going there for 30 years. It changed mate. They cut costs on how they were making the patties, ketchup etc. The food is rushed too. Bacon isn't what it once was. Same for the pea and ham.

Sadly not what it once was. Anyone who had been there in the 90s would know. When it didn't have the backroom extension and was just the front counter with the kitchen where the pea and ham is now.

Even my missus who didn't grow up in the area noticed the change around the mid 00s

I’m becoming increasingly convinced that you and St Trav live in parallel universes

I was in Melbourne recently and couldn’t help but notice how bad the truck drivers are. Cutting lanes, speeding, tail gating and often in big semis. Was this a timing thing or is this common there these days?

Melbourne drivers are terrible. When you go to Europe and drive, people move back into the right lane (our left lane) as soon as they overtake. The trucks go about 100kpm and don't try to speed and stay out of their lane. It's so much better to drive there.

Do the pubs still have live music? That's something Melbourne lost with the pokies. Don't forget my favourite place in Oz, the Kimberley. It's only a few k up the road....
Melbournes actually good compared to other eastern states. Most of the pokie pubs are large suburban hotels. We have an enormous array of pubs and bars that are food & service orientated.

Sydney and Bris and more inclined to have pokie rooms off smaller pubs. Has to do with the pokie laws that differ each state ( far too long and boring to explain here.. ).

Fine dining is on the way out in Aus. Wages and disposable income the main confribiting factor. It’ll have a flow on effect to ‘gastro’ pubs in the next few years. Food prices and general casual labour is simply too high for the average hotel to consume.

This is why we’re seeing a roll-up from corporates.. and why the same thing is happening in the brewing industry. It’s just following the other industries. Normally you have 2-3 large corporates that control the industry and a tail of smaller companies that struggle for the last market share.

Pokies are the devil and angel. They are shocking for the general health of society, but have kept small business in this industry alive unfortunately. Perth has gone through the worst trough I’ve ever seen the last few years when mining came off. Hotels simultaneously closed.. or were given away and again closed. Even the corporates stayed away. Pokies saved the Qld market when the same thing occurred.

Melbournes actually good compared to other eastern states. Most of the pokie pubs are large suburban hotels. We have an enormous array of pubs and bars that are food & service orientated.

Sydney and Bris and more inclined to have pokie rooms off smaller pubs. Has to do with the pokie laws that differ each state ( far too long and boring to explain here.. ).

Fine dining is on the way out in Aus. Wages and disposable income the main confribiting factor. It’ll have a flow on effect to ‘gastro’ pubs in the next few years. Food prices and general casual labour is simply too high for the average hotel to consume.

This is why we’re seeing a roll-up from corporates.. and why the same thing is happening in the brewing industry. It’s just following the other industries. Normally you have 2-3 large corporates that control the industry and a tail of smaller companies that struggle for the last market share.

Pokies are the devil and angel. They are shocking for the general health of society, but have kept small business in this industry alive unfortunately. Perth has gone through the worst trough I’ve ever seen the last few years when mining came off. Hotels simultaneously closed.. or were given away and again closed. Even the corporates stayed away. Pokies saved the Qld market when the same thing occurred.

Thanks mate, that’s really interesting to know.

thats what happens we we become more and more service industry inclined.
People work in restaurants but can't afford to eat there.
People mow lawns , but can't afford to have their lawns mowed.
A HUGE chunk of the service industry is optional , and if the economy hits the fan i don't know what's going to happen.

thats what happens we we become more and more service industry inclined.
People work in restaurants but can't afford to eat there.
People mow lawns , but can't afford to have their lawns mowed.
A HUGE chunk of the service industry is optional , and if the economy hits the fan i don't know what's going to happen.
We’re in for a tough year next year. A flow on from the American downturn, Brexit and bank lending.. There’s a lot of worried Investment bankers out there.. won’t be as bad as the gfc, but not far off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’re in for a tough year next year. A flow on from the American downturn, Brexit and bank lending.. There’s a lot of worried Investment bankers out there.. won’t be as bad as the gfc, but not far off.

Ah yes, neo liberalism economics at its shining best.

Throw in some government corruption and it's all rinse and repeat.

Dodging the GFC was a double edged sword because we have become complacent.

Good chance that China won't save our arsed this time around.

Ah yes, neo liberalism economics at its shining best.

Throw in some government corruption and it's all rinse and repeat.

Dodging the GFC was a double edged sword because we have become complacent.

Good chance that China won't save our arsed this time around.
Highly doubt they do.. already at corporate war with Trump and it’ll filter down to us. Banks have us worried at present. Knocking back 40% of loans currently and rising post royal commission.

Highly doubt they do.. already at corporate war with Trump and it’ll filter down to us. Banks have us worried at present. Knocking back 40% of loans currently and rising post royal commission.

Yeah, small business can't borrow at the moment. Not even with decent equity. Coupled with dropping house prices it doesn't look good. Inner city suburbs have half the retail spaces available to rent, never a good sign.

Last edited:
A friend was working in China during the GFC. Their massive spend on infrastructure save our backside at the time.

Won't happen this time around.

Yes the banks are another story.

The risk managers are in control right now to minimise the fallout.

Plus a lot of their funds are sourced overseas hence the rise in rates despite the RBA holding firm.

There is some serious blood on the streets right now.

Quite damning that the survival of a strong economy and high living standards is reliant on people going into more debt.

Just think about that for a second.

There is a reason Big Matt Preston (Masterchef / food critic) drops into Alfred's for a burger every time he is in town. It's not because the burgers s**t. The fockers know how to make a burger (Best in Perth) , they just have to work on the inconsistant quality of their Pea and Ham soup , which is great sometimes , ordinary at other times.

There is a reason Big Matt Preston (Masterchef / food critic) drops into Alfred's for a burger every time he is in town. It's not because the burgers s**t. The fockers know how to make a burger (Best in Perth) , they just have to work on the inconsistant quality of their Pea and Ham soup , which is great sometimes , ordinary at other times.
Yeah $$$ paid appearance mate

Reason why the pea and ham fluctuates is it has to sit. Needs 2-3 days for the flavor to come out.

Because it's so popular there now you don't get that time sadly.

Last edited:
I’m becoming increasingly convinced that you and St Trav live in parallel universes
On this one I'm right. Alfreds is to burgers what ciccerellos is to fish and chips.

Dead give away is when you have the tourists rocking up in high numbers.

Anyone who's been there in the previous century will know how much both have changed.

Mass produced, mass profit on a name that was built long ago.

It's a pitty but that's life. When things get that popular they can't possibly put the same time into producing it.

I wasn't around for it but apparently bennys was awesome too

Apparently there's a small burger shop in Bayswater that goes alright

31fbd4ff7f1762c02cad466bbf1ede69.jpg

That’s shocking. I always do it. The time has been paid for, the councils just want to be greedy and double dip.
Hourly parking fees of $5.40 is the scandal....not the passing on of parking tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back