Under Age AFL U15s and U16s

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The 2018 U15 and U16's championships have come and gone so this thread will be locked soon and, in its place will be the 2019 version plus a dumping ground for 2020 AFL Draft prospect discussion which will be created in the new year.

Thank you linesmen.
Thank you ball boys.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (GWV Rebels) 194cm 81kg Scotch College - he is 1 to look out for in 2020 draft.
Tied to the dogs through NGA academy i believe.

On a different note, Scott West has 15 year old twins coming through with Calder Cannons as well.

Do many states include bottom agers in their U16 team? I don’t think WA do as a general rule?

Pretty sure you’ve asked asked about this kid on a different thread. You his Dad right?

Why does it matter if its his son? Any athlete who gets to these levels of performance dont get their by accident. It's usually on the backend of significant parental sacrafice so its only natural for family members to be interested.

Why does it matter if its his son? Any athlete who gets to these levels of performance dont get their by accident. It's usually on the backend of significant parental sacrafice so its only natural for family members to be interested.
Exactly. The biggest sacrifice is upending the whole family and moving for your kid to attend a good school that'll honestly boost their chances at making it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So does anyone have any info about the 2019 WA U16's? Trainings, invitations, etc?

What's bothered me about these groups is that everything is so secretive. Unless you are being tapt on the shoulder and invited to train, most people wouldn't have a clue what is going on and how their kid could potentially be selected. Nothing ever seems to be mentioned publicly either about trials, selection process etc.

I know they generally hold a summer series training camp and I think the WAFL clubs nominate who gets to attend these.

I like the way Basketball organize their state teams which is to firstly invite ALL athletes (interested in being apart of their system) to trial for their State Performance Academy. If successful into the Academy, they train for a number of weeks so that selectors can get a better view and opinion on an athlete and form the basis of their State side on those within the Academy.

Last edited:
So does anyone have any info about the 2019 WA U16's? Trainings, invitations, etc?

What's bothered me about these groups is that everything is so secretive. Unless you are being tapt on the shoulder and invited to train, most people wouldn't have a clue what is going on and how their kid could potentially be selected. Nothing ever seems to be mentioned publicly either about trials, selection process etc.

I know they generally hold a summer series training camp and I think the WAFL clubs nominate who gets to attend these.

I like the way Basketball organize their state teams which is to firstly invite ALL athletes (interested in being apart of their system) to trial for their State Performance Academy. If successful into the Academy, they train for a number of weeks so that selectors can get a better view and opinion on an athlete and form the basis of their State side on those within the Academy.
From what I was told apparently state selectors watched and picked the kids they wanted for the state academy after watching the 15s carnival. But I don’t think being in that academy Means they will be in
The state team. I always thought they picked the state team from performance in the 16s carnival. But I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Exactly. The biggest sacrifice is upending the whole family and moving for your kid to attend a good school that'll honestly boost their chances at making it.

settle down fellas. defensive much? if a kids good enough he'll make it without his parents enquiring and needing confirmation about how good he is. I sounds like its more about the parents than the kid. who said anything about upending a family to send this kid to a good school (presumably Aquinas as the original poster, who apparently is not the father, watchfromadistance has told us this is the school this kid goes to)? Hardly sounds like a sacrifice to me. anyway, onwards and upwards...

From what I was told apparently state selectors watched and picked the kids they wanted for the state academy after watching the 15s carnival. But I don’t think being in that academy Means they will be in
The state team. I always thought they picked the state team from performance in the 16s carnival. But I could be wrong.

yeah I think now its all club based selections until the state 16s carnival. Clubs are assembling their 16s team which would have been from their 15s teams in October. I don't think there is a current state 16s squad until after the 16s carnival which must be soon. but I could also be wrong.

Oh, so there is a current state 16s squad of some type? I thought it was all club based until after the 16s carnival?

There definitely is a state 16s academy already established they started training at the end of last year. Don’t know the full details but a mates boy is in it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have mates whose kids are in their respective wafl clubs getting ready for the 16s carnival but are saying their kid is playing state 16s. I thought after the 16s carnival they announce the state 16 squad then. that's whats happened in previous years.

I have mates whose kids are in their respective wafl clubs getting ready for the 16s carnival but are saying their kid is playing state 16s. I thought after the 16s carnival they announce the state 16 squad then. that's whats happened in previous years.
I thinks it’s the state 16s academy I don’t think the actual state team will be picked till after the 16s carnival

I thinks it’s the state 16s academy I don’t think the actual state team will be picked till after the 16s carnival
The state 16s squad doesn't get selected till after the development carnival. Kids that were part of 15s last year, or unders from the 16s squad last year can be asked to continue doing state development over the break and preseason but they aren't in the state squad as such. It is more that they are tagging kids of interest and continuing to work with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back