AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - Back in the side against Sydney for 10 hitouts and a goal - 24/3

02 - draper.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2025
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 20, TheUnicorn

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he is just shitty with you because you made fun of his new format. That was a whole morning when he was supposed to be at works spent on that.
well the error he made there was asking for feedback, when in actual fact he was exclusively seeking positive affirmation

well the error he made there was asking for feedback, when in actual fact he was exclusively seeking positive affirmation
He needs to work on his words doesn't he? He should have just said that he was looking for sycophants.

If we didn't have Daniher I believe he would be developed as KPF. I see him as someone who is genuinely as good of a prospect as the Mckay brothers.
Disagree. His talent in the ruck is too good to be wasted as developing as a forward. Whilst it's nice he kicked goals in the intre club, he's really only done one thing as a forward in his limited time in the VFL, and that was kicking the winning goal against Box Hille from memory down at WH.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Disagree. His talent in the ruck is too good to be wasted as developing as a forward. Whilst it's nice he kicked goals in the intre club, he's really only done one thing as a forward in his limited time in the VFL, and that was kicking the winning goal against Box Hille from memory down at WH.

I don't see how developing a player as a forward could be seen as a waste especially in the Daniherless scenario I posed.

I don't see how developing a player as a forward could be seen as a waste especially in the Daniherless scenario I posed.
It would be when the bloke has a serious lack of forward nous.

I think that's the reason you try to develop him better in that area though? Improve his chances of being able to have a few meaningful minutes forward to offer flexibility and so we can better use our bench.
Oh I really hope that would have been the case but he just had no clue when up there.
I don't think he came to the club with much ruck nous either tbh. He's developed his ruck craft over the past two seasons. I don't see why he wouldn't have had similar success as a forward of given the opportunity.
Honestly you're speaking out of your arse now. I could see in his first 4 or 5 games that he was a natural ruckman with the way he worked at the stoppages. There's only so much you can teach, the rest has to be instinct and ability. Two things he simply doesn't have forward of centre.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Honestly you're speaking out of your arse now. I could see in his first 4 or 5 games that he was a natural ruckman with the way he worked at the stoppages. There's only so much you can teach, the rest has to be instinct and ability. Two things he simply doesn't have forward of centre.

Why so hostile? Next thing you'll quote me in the delusional pearlers thread again.

Why so hostile? Next thing you'll quote me in the delusional pearlers thread again.
Because you said something incredibly stupid. Saying he didn't have ruck nous when he came to the club is akin to saying Daniher didn't have forward nous when he came to the club.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Because you said something incredibly stupid. Saying he didn't have ruck nous when he came to the club is akin to saying Daniher didn't have forward nous when he came to the club.

Seriously?

Daniher came as a once in a generation key forward and Draper came as a ruck project who had hardly rucked in the one year of footy played and they are somehow a good point of comparison?

Draper's ruck quality was immediately evident? There is a pretty big difference between a big kid getting his hand on the ball and what was on display after 6 months.

I've fairly recently come across the idea of defence using the least force necessary. Maybe start there.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Seriously?

Draper's ruck quality was immediately evident? There is a pretty big difference between a big kid getting his hand on the ball and what was on display after 6 months.

Reckon he's learnt the art of protecting the drop zone with his big frame and laying the ball down to the on rushing mid, rather than hitting or tapping to space which he used to do

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Thought my boy looked great, really adds something extra around the contest. 5 touches including two clearances in 16 minutes. TBC had 10 touches and three clearances in 110 minutes. Only a matter of time before he is our starting ruck.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
You couldn't ask for more in just 10 minutes of game time. He's got something. Would be super excited to see him play a seniors game.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Manhandled the Cats 25 year old ruck. Think his game style will be very similar to that of Mumford, going to enjoy watching this bloke throw his weight around for a long time

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back