Training 2019 Preseason + Operations

For those who've had surgery before, was it a success?

• Yep! So glad I got it done. 100% symptom-free!

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • Yes, mostly. Some symptoms have returned, but still better than prior to surgery

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Yes, partially. It helped initially, but symptoms have returned similarly to the past

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Yes, but there were some complications in the first few weeks

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No, I got extra pain/infection/bleeding, and didn't feel better

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
If his fitness is up to scratch could well get the Mcgovern spot if McAdam hasn't got into gear yet, took some good contested marks in the SANFL.... decison making let him down though
I've always been a bit wary of SANFL form, just because the playing level is so un-uniform compared to the AFL standard. Unless you are in the midfield for the entire game it just seems difficult to do much of anything statistically. So sometimes looking at good flashes is all you have.

I think Gooch was a good example of this, never lit up the stat sheet in the 2's, but always had flashes that stood out according to the game notes. But get him in the 1's and he looks like he totally belongs

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
If CEY really is gunning it and Greenwood is hurt, then we should give CEY a crack to save the career.
Hugh can do 6 more weeks pre-season and have a strong 3/4 year.
My thoughts exactly. Play the boys who earned their spot, not the guys who earned a reputation.

2019 is a new year, we have to get over the complacency at the selection table! Best Player Available!

I've always been a bit wary of SANFL form, just because the playing level is so un-uniform compared to the AFL standard. Unless you are in the midfield for the entire game it just seems difficult to do much of anything statistically. So sometimes looking at good flashes is all you have.

I think Gooch was a good example of this, never lit up the stat sheet in the 2's, but always had flashes that stood out according to the game notes. But get him in the 1's and he looks like he totally belongs

Cameron was exactly the same too.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
Why do you think they are putting out very short, fast videos from our match simulations?
so no other club can watch it and pick up too much detail of what we're doing.... no point giving clues to Hawthorn on how we're moving the ball around before round 1 so they can prepare against it.

ChilliP

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
Goolwa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why do you think they are putting out very short, fast videos from our match simulations?

Two reasons, they're more fun for the editor to create it like it's a music video and they don't need to get permission from the coaches to make sure that they haven't shown a set play.

Cockwomble

All Australian
May 3, 2016
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Whyalla under 9's
so no other club can watch it and pick up too much detail of what we're doing.... no point giving clues to Hawthorn on how we're moving the ball around before round 1 so they can prepare against it.
It’s 2019 if we can’t edit a video to make it interesting to your members and not give away ‘secrets’ I’ll eat my womble hato_O

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Reading some reports of match sims at other clubs, it sounds like there is a lot of space coming out of defence after a behind, with players taking the kick in able to burst away from the square and take a bounce or two before disposing. I think this is extremely exciting for the way we play, and with some of the ball users we have back there.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
it's almost going to be dangerous to score a behind because the other team is going to sling shot it down the other end for a joe the goose goal.... I expect if we go cost to coast often it'll be Jenkins that benefits

Huntercrow

Dwat that Wabbit
Feb 7, 2009
Hunter Valley
AFL Club
Adelaide
Reading some reports of match sims at other clubs, it sounds like there is a lot of space coming out of defence after a behind, with players taking the kick in able to burst away from the square and take a bounce or two before disposing. I think this is extremely exciting for the way we play, and with some of the ball users we have back there.
I think this is where quick defensive forwards will come into their own. They’ll have to be quick to man up after a point is scored. They’ll need to chase like heck to stop that easy movement into the forward half.

Looks like we have recruited to cover this.

Do you know if we have a proper internal trial that supporters can go watch?

Apsaalooke

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Ozark Mountain Daredevils
it's almost going to be dangerous to score a behind because the other team is going to sling shot it down the other end for a joe the goose goal.... I expect if we go cost to coast often it'll be Jenkins that benefits
I think this will be a more significant change to the game than the 666 rule. Hopefully at the very least it will stop our 'kick it the right back flank where Sauce is' default position.

Do you know if we have a proper internal trial that supporters can go watch?

Looks like I can answer my own question.

"The best young talent across South Australia's two AFL clubs will be showcased on Saturday February 23 when Adelaide faces Port Adelaide in an Under-23 trial game.

The Crows and Power have worked closely to organise the pre-season hit-out at Thebarton Oval before their scheduled JLT Community Series Showdown in Port Pirie a week later."

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-02-...OXBWgTMlCu7Zk7x6XixdXiKup2GAmuS03KZ6IXHR2lKUw

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Really interested about CEY. Was nearly delisted last year but given a lifeline. Reports say he is dominating match sim and training.

First Eddie gushed about him. I thought he was just looking out for his brother but then Ben Hart was on AA yesterday and specifically mentioned CEY as having a great preseason and dominating.

With Brouch coming back I thought CEY would be depth but it sounds like selection will be a big headache for the coaches this year. Greenwood is also someone I had ahead of him.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

CEY has all the tools, his brain and peripheral vision is a bit slow. Reaction time is his Achilles heel

CEY has all the tools, his brain and peripheral vision is a bit slow. Reaction time is his Achilles heel

He tends to fumble those quickfire handballs that come his way.

In contrast, Greenwood's reflexes are insanely good.

Apr 1, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Kilkenny Cats, WWT Eagles

And like that Hamill has elite pace and disposal so I think recruited with this in mind, and Scholl as a project.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
If CEY really is gunning it and Greenwood is hurt, then we should give CEY a crack to save the career.
Hugh can do 6 more weeks pre-season and have a strong 3/4 year.

CEY has been gunning the last 2-3 pre-seasons, he's always been fit however his issue is still he struggles with clean hands below his knees and when he fumbles we lose the clearance opportunity and it usually turns into another stoppage

Even though Thor is not quick I like him as a player as he is clean, good decision making, strong overhead and can push forward and kick a goal however if he is not fit and with the new 6-6-6 rule I would rather go with a quicker midfielder than with CEY

We still have enough inside ball winning ability with M Crouch, B Crouch and Sloane and adding CEY doesn't feel like the right mix to me

Back