Rolling World Cup squad thread

Remove this Banner Ad

True, but he's played 94 ODIs ffs for a mediocre to crap record. Bullying bowling at the lower levels is one thing but he's failed at the international level time and time again. Carey has been underwhelming but really he's hardly been given a chance. Needs to just be pushed down the order.
I'm not denying his mediocre performances for Australia, but I believe his form should get him the gig.

If Carey fails in the upcoming ODI series, I'd be taking the form player to the World Cup.

As I said, theres every chance the guy has improved and should not be written off especially at the age of 31. We've been crying out for players to put their hand up and perform. Wade has most definitely done that.

I do bag him on test selection but how Mitch Marsh isn’t in our ODI side let alone squad is bewildering.
His test struggles have probably covered up the fact that he's either gone backward or hasn't made in progress as a short form cricketer for quite a while. Right now Maxwell's got the inconsistent all-rounder spot sewn up (shouldn't bowl more than 5 overs in most cases, gets shuffled around the order a lot and hasn't made anywhere near as many big scores as he should've).

I'm not denying his mediocre performances for Australia, but I believe his form should get him the gig.

If Carey fails in the upcoming ODI series, I'd be taking the form player to the World Cup.

As I said, theres every chance the guy has improved and should not be written off especially at the age of 31. We've been crying out for players to put their hand up and perform. Wade has most definitely done that.
Carey has played 9 games ffs, people are jumping all over him without giving the guy a decent chance because they want to slot in some previously failed journeyman. Wade is in form and should be kept in mind as a plan B or C but that's a long way off.

As I said before the guy hasn't set the world on fire yet and still has an averages higher than Wade who got given 94 games!

Carey has played 9 games ffs, people are jumping all over him without giving the guy a decent chance because they want to slot in some previously failed journeyman. Wade is in form and should be kept in mind as a plan B or C but that's a long way off.
Yeh I'm not writing him off - Im just saying if Carey has continued his average start to his ODI career over the next couple of ODI series, I wouldn't be taking him to a WC. If he goes well, obviously he'll go as the selectors have backed him as the guy they want to give first shot to.

I'm all for investing in the future and I'm sure we'll see him in all forms for Australia. But its a WC and when the time comes to make that decision, Id prefer to go with form rather than a future prospect.

The scenes are going to be dramatic if they win their first ever world cup on home soil or crash out in the semifinals, eitherway it's going to be entertaining lol.
Here’s hoping for them to lose on the last ball of the final

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about something really left field?

1. Lynn
2. Stoinis
3. S.Marsh
4. Smith
5. Maxwell (c)
6. Wade (wk)
7. Cutting
8. Starc/Cummins (If Starc isn’t fit)
9. Coulter-Nile
10. Richardson
11. Zampa

1. Lynn
2. Stoinis
3. S.Marsh
4. Smith
5. Maxwell (c)
6. Wade (wk)
7. Cutting
9. Coulter-Nile
10. Richardson
11. Zampa

Not bad.
No room for Warner??

Dorff for CN as well I reckon.

If Wade plays he does so in place of Carey, but we take on the burden of his keeping. Our top 5/6 is pretty set otherwise.

I have changed my mind based on the team to tour India and I think the final 15 will be (in batting order):

Warner
Finch
Smith
S. Marsh
Carey
Stonis
Maxwell
Coulter-Nile
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood

Final four:
Lyon
Handscomb
Behrendorff
Zampa

I have changed my mind based on the team to tour India and I think the final 15 will be (in batting order):

Warner
Finch
Smith
S. Marsh
Carey
Stonis
Maxwell
Coulter-Nile
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood

Final four:
Lyon
Handscomb
Behrendorff
Zampa
There's no way in the world Carey will bat in front of Stoinis and Maxxy.
I'd swap Dorf for Hazlewood.

If I was selecting the WC squad it'd be a lot better than what we have:

Warner
Lynn
S.Marsh
Smith
Stoinis
Wade+
Maxwell
Cummins
Starc
O'Keefe
Richardson

D.Short
Hazelwood
Handscomb (reserve keeper if required at short notice)
Coulter Nile

1. Lynn
2. Stoinis
3. S.Marsh
4. Smith
5. Maxwell (c)
6. Wade (wk)
7. Cutting
9. Coulter-Nile
10. Richardson
11. Zampa

To be honest, that's not far off my T20 National side.

1. Warner
2. Wade
3. Lynn
4. Smith
5. Maxwell (c)
6. Stoinis
7. Cutting
8. Coulter-Nile
9. Starc
10. Richardson
11. Zampa

Maybe too much bowling, but I like that block of all rounders who can really accelerate.

1. Lynn
2. Stoinis
3. S.Marsh
4. Smith
5. Maxwell (c)
6. Wade (wk)
7. Cutting
9. Coulter-Nile
10. Richardson
11. Zampa

Cutting is a bloke that would be seriously handy in an England world cup if he bowling was say 10-15% better. No way could you pick him though.

As a Heat fan, there is absolutely no way I would want Cutting in the national team. Plays one good match every 5 matches.

Squad for India would be so much better if we got Handscomb to keep and bought Ferguson in instead of Carey. Don’t understand how anyone rates Carey. Ferg’s List A stats the last 2 seasons in Australia and England are insane. 4 150+ scores including 2 over 180. Would at least like him there instead of Khawaja so Ussie can play all 4 shield matches instead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back