Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

• Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton & Richmond.

Votes: 261 72.5%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & Collingwood.

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & West Coast.

Votes: 79 21.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"until the pies beat us"
Hmm ... from memory the Pies actually dropped you lot in the Prelim and on your "home ground" like the arrogant bunch of flogs you are! Another salty Richmond fan - now there's something new.o_O

"Well i guess we need to wait until RD 23 when we play u chumps at the G"
If you replace the word with "chumps" in your salty sentence with 'Premier' that would be more accurate. And we do look forward to R 23.;) If you recall, we actually 'tore your mob a new one' over here at Optus.

Your first big mistake was u mentioned pies yes they beat us in prelim (doesn't mean you would beat us) your comment is flawed but we had beaten them in 4 out of our last 5

Salty lollll my brother in law follows the eagles and i barracked hard that day for you guys so your post well lets say is completely incorrect.
Dont let ur emotions get into saying untruths.

You beat us at Optus lmfaooo crows had beaten us by 12 goals at AO but come grand final day we smashed them by 8 goals. Again another flawed comment.
You make it so easy to break down your post. Now run along we 'll see your mob in RD 23

Trying to discuss footy with go pies is like talking to a gold fish. Never good at maths and never good in a sensible debate.

One thing im sure off is and other supporters of other clubs would agree that pies over many many years have been helped by a good fixture.
The fact they try and deny this is laughable.
2019 case in point many more Fridays and play ess twice and for example we play ess once. Bombers will be up in 2019 so we miss that chance of another 80k+ crowd.

Further evidence
Website traffic , Richmond no 1
Afl custom number plates , Richmond no 1
Afl stores floorSpace , totally dominated by Richmond merchandise
This is like taking candy from a baby

Web site traffic - really???

Umm ... is it because you failed miserably at the serious end of the season (Prelim) that you are now babbling about web site traffic and other SM nonsense?

Mate ... modern football clubs have members who pay membership fees and buy merchandise = profits. Effective clubs bank profits and build their club. Hence our +$40,000,000 balance sheet and our new world class training facilities + community centre at Lathlain. Admittedly Richmond are one of the so called 10 million dollar clubs but still behind the WCE.

The Vic centric BS is blinding you guys to the WCE juggernaut. It is the most profitable sports club in Australia by a long, long way.

Since 2015
1. AFL #1 Most games won = WCE
2. AFL #1 Finals played = WCE
3. AFL #1 Final won = WCE

"So strong has the financial performance of the Eagles been that the club has accumulated $21.8 million in cash on its balance sheet and another $42 million of fixed interest and equity investments.

The twist compared with most other clubs, though, is that the Eagles are about to spend a chunk of their money on the big move into their new training and administration facilities this time next year.

West Coast is shifting its headquarters to a $61.5 new facility at Lathlain Park, seven kilometres south-east of the Perth CBD, which will include training facilities, a community hub and space for the Wirrpanda Foundation, founded by former Eagles player David Wirrpanda, and the local Perth football club.
"

https://www.afr.com/business/sport/...able-sports-club-in-australia-20180309-h0x997

What was that about candy and babies?:huh:

You should read something other than Richmond media?

Richmond supporters cling to the Old Big 4 definition way more than any of the other 3 supporter groups. I could sort of understand it when they desperately tried to stay relevant, but after they actually won an AFL flag i assumed they wouldn't feel so insecure......it seems I was wrong.

Your a port supporter say no more. Bahahaha insecure or clinging on you literally are taking the piss :drunk: ill give you cold hard facts> 80 million turnover puts us right near the top of gross income. 100K members puts us on top of memberships. Last 10 years plus of profits and 15 million in the bank. 3 out of last 4 we topped home and away attendances. No 1 and 2 over last few years for TV ratings. No 1 for fan engagement on social media.

Please you''re embarrassing yourself with your comments.

Last edited:
Richmond supporters cling to the Old Big 4 definition way more than any of the other 3 supporter groups. I could sort of understand it when they desperately tried to stay relevant, but after they actually won an AFL flag i assumed they wouldn't feel so insecure......it seems I was wrong.

They well may be going forward, they did seem to attract the prime free agent in the trade period. If they even had just one other period of strength in the AFL period they’d probably have an almost certain claim to the top rung

Trying to discuss footy with go pies is like talking to a gold fish. Never good at maths and never good in a sensible debate.

One thing im sure off is and other supporters of other clubs would agree that pies over many many years have been helped by a good fixture.
The fact they try and deny this is laughable.
2019 case in point many more Fridays and play ess twice and for example we play ess once. Bombers will be up in 2019 so we miss that chance of another 80k+ crowd.

It’s good to see the AFL has finally finished the Carl Coll rich ess play each other twice every year. Now it’s just at the same ratio other teams play each other 1.5 times.

That in itself a signal that the VFL big 4 is over

now both clubs are hellbent on catching up with Coll half price memberships and ess show bag of giveaway

Haha u saw that too pies selling 4 game membership but giving away 10 games, talk about trying to bump up their numbers to try and catch us in that promotion. They would be losing money on 10 games for the price of 4. And their insider which docent get u into games but now it does with 4 games free.
Ahh why on earth do they feel the need to do that, they just played in a GF

Upgrade from a 4-Game to a General Admission (home)
Pay $100 for a 4-Game membership, and get upgraded to a General Admission (home) membership for free and save $105.

Upgrade from a Magpie Insider to a 4-Game membership
Pay $65 for a Magpie Insider, and get upgraded to a 4-Game membership for free and save $35.

Premierships aren’t won at Optus sunny Jim , looking forward to hosting you at mcg without the bs umpiring that was laughable last time we played , like triple the number of free kicks.

"Premierships aren’t won at Optus sunny Jim"

Well, well A Richmond supporter capable of stating the obvious.

A very true statement. However, we just won the GF at the G and I didn't see a Richmond supporter anywhere this year!:'(

Why?

Well because the Pies dumped you arrogant lot like a bad habit - it was truly brilliant to watch - you lot left Cox roaming around thinking, "Dusty will win it for us". Watching those Richmond supporters faces as the Pies took you lot out the back for a thorough footy spanking was simply 'manna from heaven' for all footy fans.

Apparently not that good at the G ...... sunny Jim! The facts makes your argument just a bit redundant.

So much wool between your ears - it's child's play to pull it over your eyes!:tearsofjoy:

Your first big mistake was u mentioned pies yes they beat us in prelim (doesn't mean you would beat us) your comment is flawed but we had beaten them in 4 out of our last 5

Salty lollll my brother in law follows the eagles and i barracked hard that day for you guys so your post well lets say is completely incorrect.
Dont let ur emotions get into saying untruths.

You beat us at Optus lmfaooo crows had beaten us by 12 goals at AO but come grand final day we smashed them by 8 goals. Again another flawed comment.
You make it so easy to break down your post. Now run along we 'll see your mob in RD 23

"Your first big mistake was u mentioned pies yes they beat us in prelim"

Mate - that's all you need to know. The Pies absolutely flogged you - you guys cleaned out your lockers and we had a Pies - WCE GF. By all standards it was universally declared as one of the best GF's ever. And no Richmond in sight!

"crows had beaten us by 12 goals at AO but come grand final day we smashed them by 8 goals"
So what - you failed to make the grade this year! You fell spectacularly when it counted most this year!

"but we had beaten them in 4 out of our last 5"
Who cares?? Your club failed (dismally as it happens) to beat the Pies when it counted most - you know the game that delivers the GF tickets!! Chattering about any win prior to a Prelim is thoroughly pointless. And as for 2017 - yawn.

There is now a new reigning Premier - 2017 is very old news.;) Maybe you could refer to your previous GF win .... now when was that??:eek:

Oh ... and your brother sounds like a good fellow and obviously has very good taste!:)

"Your first big mistake was u mentioned pies yes they beat us in prelim"

Mate - that's all you need to know. The Pies absolutely flogged you - you guys cleaned out your lockers and we had a Pies - WCE GF.
Oh ... and your brother sounds like a good fellow and obviously has very good taste!:)

Your whole post doesn't answer what i said, beating the pies (yes u beat them 3 times) doesn't mean you would beat us on the G that is FACT
2017 is not yawn lol it was only 12 months before your win but the point i made hence why i brought it up which you couldn't comprehend is the crows were talking themselves up as they would beat us (like u guys) cause they had beaten other teams on the G plus smashed us at there home, so you know how that story ended when they played us on GF day. Anyway going around circles look forward to seeing your mob RD 23 at the G

This thread needs an "other" option because none of the 3 options really fit- Carlton isn't big 4. Sydney is a little closer but is just outside the big 5/6 along with Hawthorn.

More of a Big 5 :)
Collingwood , Richmond , West Coast, Adelaide and Essendon
I said this earlier in the thread and stand by it :)

Adelaide are a solid club but I still dont think Victorians get it when they lump these two together (Eagles and Crows).

I grew up in Melbourne but spent 2 years working in Perth.

The Perth economy overall (defined as gross regional product) is more than double that of Adelaide. Regional WA GDP is more than triple that of regional SA. Triple!

So yes Adelaide are a decent club - but the overall underlying support for the Eagle is much much bigger. Multiple times.

The Crows and Eagles cant be grouped in the same league as 'non-Victorian' clubs.
They need to be assessed on their own merits and the reality is that the Eagles are a humungous club with huge power beneath the ice berg tip.

Victorians dont seem to recognise this and want to lump them together. It is just not factually correct.

Any Victorian who doesnt put the Eagles in the top 4 is just delusional and clueless and living in some imaginary past. Like them or hate them - Eagles are top 4 and big 4. Whatever way you want to define it.

I personally cant stand the Eagles fans - but the size and success of the club cannot be denied. It is also not some flash in the pan. The underlying support is solid, wide and deep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide are a solid club but I still dont think Victorians get it when they lump these two together (Eagles and Crows).

I grew up in Melbourne but spent 2 years working in Perth.

The Perth economy overall (defined as gross regional product) is more than double that of Adelaide. Regional WA GDP is more than triple that of regional SA. Triple!

So yes Adelaide are a decent club - but the overall underlying support for the Eagle is much much bigger. Multiple times.

The Crows and Eagles cant be grouped in the same league as 'non-Victorian' clubs.
They need to be assessed on their own merits and the reality is that the Eagles are a humungous club with huge power beneath the ice berg tip.

Victorians dont seem to recognise this and want to lump them together. It is just not factually correct.

Any Victorian who doesnt put the Eagles in the top 4 is just delusional and clueless and living in some imaginary past. Like them or hate them - Eagles are top 4 and big 4. Whatever way you want to define it.

I personally cant stand the Eagles fans - but the size and success of the club cannot be denied. It is also not some flash in the pan. The underlying support is solid, wide and deep.
As for membership. Does any other club have a membership category for being on a wait list?

https://membership.westcoasteagles.com.au/wings

"I personally cant stand the Eagles fans"

Oh ... we're not that bad ... fly over and join us at a game at Optus ... it's good fun ... a bit loud for some apparently ... but good fun!;)

And you have posted two very good posts - I think. The facts are the facts and the WCE is a financial and football juggernaut. The Vic clubs and some of their supporters will continue to downplay our resources and success but they have been doing that since the cup flew back across the Nullarbor in 1992.:)

Web site traffic - really???

Umm ... is it because you failed miserably at the serious end of the season (Prelim) that you are now babbling about web site traffic and other SM nonsense?

Mate ... modern football clubs have members who pay membership fees and buy merchandise = profits. Effective clubs bank profits and build their club. Hence our +$40,000,000 balance sheet and our new world class training facilities + community centre at Lathlain. Admittedly Richmond are one of the so called 10 million dollar clubs but still behind the WCE.

The Vic centric BS is blinding you guys to the WCE juggernaut. It is the most profitable sports club in Australia by a long, long way.

Since 2015
1. AFL #1 Most games won = WCE
2. AFL #1 Finals played = WCE
3. AFL #1 Final won = WCE

"So strong has the financial performance of the Eagles been that the club has accumulated $21.8 million in cash on its balance sheet and another $42 million of fixed interest and equity investments.

The twist compared with most other clubs, though, is that the Eagles are about to spend a chunk of their money on the big move into their new training and administration facilities this time next year.

West Coast is shifting its headquarters to a $61.5 new facility at Lathlain Park, seven kilometres south-east of the Perth CBD, which will include training facilities, a community hub and space for the Wirrpanda Foundation, founded by former Eagles player David Wirrpanda, and the local Perth football club."

https://www.afr.com/business/sport/...able-sports-club-in-australia-20180309-h0x997

What was that about candy and babies?:huh:

You should read something other than Richmond media?
Most games won since 2015 , let me check out that bs which would quickly unravel the rest of the utensil and bull

Nice try , why don’t you go back to 2013 and check your W against ours over that period . Stop being manipulative and take the stats on face value .

"Nice try"

Not my stats - straight off Foxtel's 'On the Couch' following the GF.

31:30

32:34

Watch from 31:30 or start at 32:34 if you are time poor ... and weep Richmond wannabes!:) Can't believe I am saying this but I have more time for Pies fans than salty old Richmond fans. Jeez that prelim loss really cut some of you people up didn't it?

:westcoast:

Your a port supporter say no more. Bahahaha insecure or clinging on you literally are taking the piss :drunk: ill give you cold hard facts> 80 million turnover puts us right near the top of gross income. 100K members puts us on top of memberships. Last 10 years plus of profits and 15 million in the bank. 3 out of last 4 we topped home and away attendances. No 1 and 2 over last few years for TV ratings. No 1 for fan engagement on social media.

Please you''re embarrassing yourself with your comments.

https://www.ausleisure.com.au/news/...ed-as-australias-most-profitable-sports-club/

Talk that up!

Just type this phrase into google

"Most profitable sports club in Australia"

Enjoy the reading.

This is such an entertaining read.

FWIW

1. Collingwood - they might not be the BIGGEST right now but they have the history and longevity . A true powerhouse with national support - continually at or near the top of attendances, membership and social media stats regardless of where they finish, let’s not forget they just came off a 4 year finals drought - unheard of for the Pies. I have no doubt they’ll be back at the top soon.

2. West Coast - an absolute behemoth of WA and the competition, only second to Collingwood on account of their reach nation wide. By far the richest and one of the most successful clubs in the AFL and with the new stadium firmly entrenched in the ‘big 4’ for good.

3. Richmond - they are no doubt the biggest Victorian club in it right now - and they should be after breaking a 37 year drought and backing it up to finish first. That kind of story is unprecedented and mobilised an army of tiger fans like we’ve never seen get behind a club before. Further, winning a premiership in 2018 to say, 2010 cannot be compared - memberships, social media reach are much higher now and hence the Tigers have broke all kinds of records. Only second to the Pies in Vic based on not being able to produce the consistenly high attendances that Collingwood have over the years, though if the Tigers keep it up it can change.

4. Essendon - This team has not won a final for 15 years and still manages to constantly finish top 3 for attendances and top 5 for memberships. Also have a huge social media reach. Not only this, but they have managed to remain stable while shooting thenselves in the foot twice with the supplements saga and the decision to move to Etihad when they were too big for it - constricting attendances, membership and growth. I’d have no doubt if the Bombers are to become successful once again they will become huge.

"Nice try"

Not my stats - straight off Foxtel's 'On the Couch' following the GF.

31:30

32:34

Watch from 31:30 or start at 32:34 if you are time poor ... and weep Richmond wannabes!:) Can't believe I am saying this but I have more time for Pies fans than salty old Richmond fans. Jeez that prelim loss really cut some of you people up didn't it?

:westcoast:

listen buddy I gave wc a heck of a lot of CREDIT for defeating Collingwood in fact was prob the first to ty guys whilst I was on a bent knee , don't destroy that sentiment with apathy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back