Welcome Another Irishman: Stefan Okunbor

Remove this Banner Ad

Smart, persistent & talented, looks to be a fair sized lad too.

About 6' 3'' in the old with a powerful build , get the feeling his size and athleticism won't hold him back from making it :)
Like the look of O'Connor as well - think he got a taste of it late last season and has come back keen , looks durable as well :thumbsu:

I saw this lad at the family day today. People have mentioned his guns but he has very muscular legs too.
This kid is built for AFL. It will be interesting to see if he can learn to play the game.

I saw this lad at the family day today. People have mentioned his guns but he has very muscular legs too.
This kid is built for AFL. It will be interesting to see if he can learn to play the game.
Usain Bolt is built for AFL too, let's draft him. ;)

These Irish lads tend to become good defenders and good user's of the footy. However, with this guy's build, I wonder if he could become a forward.

He was a full-back over there in Ireland wasn't he? So there's the answer I guess not.

I wonder if testing at the columbine when you are Irish is a little less important as there is film on you playing a somewhat similar game? The USA combine in particular seems to be all about clubs finding any bloke over 6'10" who has the ability to learn how to catch! Top 10 in a couple of categories is still impressive but with him being young and them having a lot of game tape of him playing, I would have thought that, and perhaps ticking off some boxes as they watched him, might have been more important than pure physical metrics.

He looks a bit awkward with his kicking, marking and general movement on the limited vision of him. He looks a strong lad though.

I wonder what his engine is like and whether he can run all day or he is more an impact type player?

He will need a lot of work, at least 2 years of development in the VFL I am thinking.

He looks a bit awkward with his kicking, marking and general movement on the limited vision of him. He looks a strong lad though.

I wonder what his engine is like and whether he can run all day or he is more an impact type player?

He will need a lot of work, at least 2 years of development in the VFL I am thinking.

The kicking looks very mechanical atm.. but give him time and input.

If you can believe Scarlett," big tank runs all day."

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can believe Scarlett," big tank runs all day."
Yeah - I do believe Scarlett most of the time, I mean after all he did bring Stewart to the club, an AA player in his second season.

Although, Scralett thought Kolo was gonna have a break out year last season. I think he was serviceable and just a good soldier, but not really a standout. Blicavs as Key Defender on the other hand, well he was.

Yeah - I do believe Scarlett most of the time, I mean after all he did bring Stewart to the club, an AA player in his second season.

Although, Scralett thought Kolo was gonna have a break out year last season. I think he was serviceable and just a good soldier, but not really a standout. Blicavs as Key Defender on the other hand, well he was.
He said in a media spot that he thought Gillies would be a gun too, but when he played on him in the GFL once they both retires, he absolutely rinsed him with what he really thought. One of the great displays of sledging.

That's probably true but we often overstate how long players take to become competitive. People were saying 3+ years for O'Connor in the VFL when he arrived and he played after only a few VFL games and was one of our best in the final this year in his second season. Okunbor is far more physically developed than O'Connor was when he arrived too. Although in saying that from all reports Okunbor is a run of the mill Irish junior who might be particularly suited to AFL whereas we're starting to see why O'Connor was considered one of the most talented junior Gaelic players in a decade.

Definately. In the "handicap" endurance run i saw in late Nov. he was a stand out . He overtook heaps of players to finish about 4th but was powering to the line.

Great build as stated already. Will be fun watching him develop (skills).

I know he did well in that group run and l'm not surprised, the Irish make a big deal of cross country running at school unlike Australian kids couldn't care attitude.
I love the build he's a wrecking ball and reasonably tall as well.
He would be a monster at 90+kg.
We've got another unit in the two's Kyle Reid love to see these two get together.
I think Okunbor is a good chance.

Definately. In the "handicap" endurance run i saw in late Nov. he was a stand out . He overtook heaps of players to finish about 4th but was powering to the line.

Great build as stated already. Will be fun watching him develop (skills).

That type of reports say to me that he will play earlier than 2 years... he looks ready to hit in hard now. Just doesnt know the game. Lets see where he is after 1/2 a season of vfl... have to be as prepared as what MOC was when he debuted.

That type of reports say to me that he will play earlier than 2 years... he looks ready to hit in hard now. Just doesnt know the game. Lets see where he is after 1/2 a season of vfl... have to be as prepared as what MOC was when he debuted.
From what I have observed , he is physically ready and is learning the game. I agree he could debut in the second half of this season.

From what l've seen he runs particularly well, this is the nature of the Irish game to run and carry the ball so no need for him to learn that.
Learning how to tackle, bump and use his body to advantage is for the coaches to sort.
I hope has the temperament to throw his considerable size around to take advantage of his build unlike Josh Hunt.

Already appears to have AFL level strength and stamina - very good for a ‘blank canvas’ but how is his speed, agility and reaction time? Starting from such a long way back is going to have to be at a good level with those as well and have an extremely dedicated and persistent attitude. The home sickness risk is also a factor. I trust that Blitz has given Stefan a sense that an athlete with no experience of the game can make it.

A long shot but definitely a worthwhile punt as a project player.

I imagine he'll start as a shut down defender. That's the role he played in Ireland and it's probably the easiest role to translate across because you're basically man marking and all the play happens in front of you. Having the confidence to rebound will take longer but if the club really rates him as a talent I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him play a couple of games pretty early like they did with O'Connor. In saying that it's hard to see him finding a spot in the best 22 this year because he's competing with guys like Bews, Kolo, O'Connor, Guthrie, Hendo and Stewart so there isn't an obvious spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back