Training Pre-season 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon it's different for footy. Even now.
Your parents tell you what team you go for, and you stick with them till the end. Win or Lose.
Except If you go for Hawthorn.
Neither of my parents barrack for Geelong. I just picked my own team and I would encourage my kids to do the same if I ever have any lol.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Neither of my parents barrack for Geelong. I just picked my own team and I would encourage my kids to do the same if I ever have any lol.
Yeah I can't talk at all actually. Both my girls go for the Dogs.
Couldn't be helped, just where we live and the local team wear Dogs jumpers.
Can't complain to much, they're my second team and it's so much cheaper and easier to take em to a Bulldogs game.

Hahaha what the actual **** is wrong with so called "supporters" on this board. Are well now looking for ways to downgrade Joel Selwood's career!! Jeezus people ffffing support him and the cats. I notice you don't make other observations around context like for the first 2 seasons of that period he was a teenager and played in an unbelievable team where so so many greats took opportunities away from him by getting their own clearances. I swear some people on this have become so bitter on this that they seem to hate Geelong!
Who’s being negative? I was simply pointing out a stat quirk than I’m sure a few found interesting if they didn’t already know. Didn’t say it lessens him as a player at all.

my 11 year old has been a Cats member for 10 years. And we are 400 kms from Kadinia park.

but it's optional, she can always live under a railway bridge .....

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I have been a huge fan of Joel Sellwoods - at one point i thought he was nearly Geelongs greatest ever player - just an absolute champion

However one thing id like him to do this year - is stop complaining to the umpires - just totally ignore them - and concentrate on the game . Because to me in the last couple of years - hes appealing to the umpires for a Geel free kick constantly - when he isnt actually in the play - but is around the scene . That begins to grate and i wish he would eliminate it from his game - and hopefully this year

First things first ... Joel Selwood is a Geelong champion .who rarely if ever now gets the acclaim he deserves..

Just like the WarnerBrs cartoon... all the rabbits said it was Duck season... and suddenly Joel was getting whacked and whacked ..and I think he had just about had enough of the cheap shots...

my 11 year old has been a Cats member for 10 years. And we are 400 kms from Kadinia park.

but it's optional, she can always live under a railway bridge .....
Just don't let her listen to the RHCP then...

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Perhaps. There’s a pretty good point in having expectations. Particularly with the amount of bullshit we’ve been fed about Scott and the players that have been brought in. It’s time to deliver.
Why is it time deliver? And what precisely do want delivered?
I can't figure out why supporters take so much stock in the positive stuff that clubs say.
Every club talks up these things, especially at the beginning of the season.
They are not going to talk their decisions down.
Some of them might even believe their own spin, but that doesn't mean we have to.

ChappyUK

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Podcaster Pokemon is Life Pantskyle
Sep 12, 2011
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, QPR.
There's no point having negative connotations towards something that hasn't yet happened. I just think it's better to look ahead as a supporter and not dwell on past failures. We've got an entire season ahead to get excited about. What happens will happen ... until then.

I don't now how you can go into a season without a tiny bit of hope.

ChappyUK

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Podcaster Pokemon is Life Pantskyle
Sep 12, 2011
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, QPR.
I just want the real stuff to return. Pre-season sucks. Everyone is training the house down and ready to explode.

I stumbled onto the Hawks board and saw they have a stickied thread about training sessions. What a total wank. Not a single player that isn't in amazing nick, breaking tackles at will, and is going to be something.

Get them to the real stuff. I guarantee after Mitchell went down they are going to be wary of tackling another player heavily and ending their season. It's human nature.

I am excited about this year but more about the younger kids. I think we can still challenge if everyone is fit but I really just want to see the nucleus of our next team grow and make gains. Narkle, Parfitt, Esave, Henry. Clark, Fogarty, Constable. Really looking forward to their years.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
First things first ... Joel Selwood is a Geelong champion .who rarely if ever now gets the acclaim he deserves..

Just like the WarnerBrs cartoon... all the rabbits said it was Duck season... and suddenly Joel was getting whacked and whacked ..and I think he had just about had enough of the cheap shots...

One of the great myths of this forum. He's treated no differently to any other star midfielder. He just finds it harder to handle and as he's gotten older he gets more frustrated.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
I don't know how you can go into a season without a tiny bit of hope.

Every single poster here goes into this season with some hope.

We just have a particular breed whose greatest hope is that the club fails miserably so that the man they blame for everything that is wrong with the GFC can be cut adrift.

Perverse as it is, it's still hope.

ChappyUK

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2011
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, QPR.

We just have a particular breed whose greatest hope is that the club fails miserably so that the man they blame for everything that is wrong with the GFC can be cut adrift.

It's just the old school. Even during 2007-2011 my old man would say 'here we go' every time multiple goals were kicked on us.

Supporters like him have never recslibrated.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
One of the great myths of this forum. He's treated no differently to any other star midfielder. He just finds it harder to handle and as he's gotten older he gets more frustrated.
I agree with that,he has also been surrounded by more and more soft utensils as he has got older too,he hasn't had much support in tight the last 5 years,Dangerfield has taken a bit of pressure off but other need to step it up and scrap a lot harder around the ball.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA

No that's to late,for what it's worth we would now be in our 3rd year under another coach if the decision had been mine in 2016?I simple thought a new voice and direction would revitalize the side.

No that's to late,for what it's worth we would now be in our 3rd year under another coach if the decision had been mine in 2016?I simple thought a new voice and direction would revitalize the side.
It did in 2011

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

All mids do not get treated the same.. and Joel certainly has been on the end of a tone of adjudication .. he was apparently receiving too many head high free kicks and the interpretation of rules changed based on mainly him..although other as would draw free kicks as well.

Does he handle the hit like he did when he was younger? I doubt it Id say he was full of getting whacked ...

ChappyUK

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2011
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, QPR.

So your plan was to get rid of a coach who had the greatest win loss record ever.

I worried about out prospects during the 90s and wondered if our day would come after all the GF losses. Once it did come though we won 3 and it blew me away.

Will another make me happier? Does no. 12 make a Hawk happier. No.

I'm now at an age where a win is a win
Finals are ok but they are totally skewed against us I would rather we not be there.

I honestly don't give a s**t who wins the GF these days. If means nothing other than bragging rights.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
All mids do not get treated the same.. and Joel certainly has been on the end of a tone of adjudication .. he was apparently receiving too many head high free kicks and the interpretation of rules changed based on mainly him..although other as would draw free kicks as well.

Does he handle the hit like he did when he was younger? I doubt it Id say he was full of getting whacked ...

There's a difference between getting tackled high and receiving free kicks because you are going for the ball (which Selwood has always done), and getting "hit" off the ball. I don't think the latter occurs anywhere near as often as people on here like to insinuate. Not for him or any other midfielder.

Is he scragged and niggled at? Absolutely. That does happen to other players too. You only need to look at Ablett to see a player who has copped it for just as long and dealt with it just fine.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
There's a difference between getting tackled high and receiving free kicks because you are going for the ball (which Selwood has always done), and getting "hit" off the ball. I don't think the latter occurs anywhere near as often as people on here like to insinuate. Not for him or any other midfielder.

Is he scragged and niggled at? Absolutely. That does happen to other players too. You only need to look at Ablett to see a player who has copped it for just as long and dealt with it just fine.

He gets niggled and hit off the ball..... there's vision of various incidents to show that.

How often, and if it's disproportionate to others, is another question.

And he's human. It'd be boring if we all reacted to each situation exactly the same.

That said, he has to stop it spoiling his focus.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

My coments were based around the high tackle not off ball hits...I believe since the rules got adjusted , the tackler has basically been given a lot more leeway when takling him , almost open season....I dont think they are overly fussed about tackles riding high now..and the know if the tackle doesnt stop him he tends to keep going anyway.. so imo he could easily feel like he is getting a lot more head high stuff...all because some in the media went to town over his shrugs (not ducking) that were a compensation for the tackling technique of trying for the arms not the waist.

The off ball hits , although I do think he gets them I can say he gets them more than some other mids. It would be interesting to look at his Scout data so I was not just talking from memory and reminiscing . Perhaps thru the year we can watch it and see what we think then when it fresh in mind..In general , i think , that the umpires are weak in their admin..considering we have so many in pick or yellow or green etc running out each week.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
There's a difference between getting tackled high and receiving free kicks because you are going for the ball (which Selwood

That constantly would annoy anyone

I can remember back in 2010 when Coll played Geel ( when they were the top 2 teams ) and Dane Swan played on Ablett - and they asked Swann after the game how did you find that - and he said he would like to play on Gary every week because he actually goes for the ball .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back