WTA Fed Cup 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
So, this is this week. Australia play a strong(ish) US line up in the good old North Carolina.

Teams are as follows.
USA
No. 17 Madison Keys,
No. 23 Danielle Collins,
No. 36 Sofia Kenin
doubles No. 13 Nicole Melichar

Australia
No. 14 and doubles No. 6 Ashleigh Barty,
No. 46 Daria Gavrilova,
No. 142 Priscilla Hon,
No. 157 Kimberley Birrell
No. 160 Astra Sharma

So basically it is Barty(plus doubles partner) v the USA. She will have to win all 3 matches you would think. Very tough. We "miss" ana Tomljanovic as a capable 2nd player who could upset someone on her day. Would like to see Birrell play in front of Dasha for the 2nd singles tie, with Dasha lack of form.

Other matches
World Group 1.
Romania with Halep v Czechs with Pliskova.

2 very strong teams beyond those 2 players. (Buzarnescu, Begu, Bogdan and Niculescu v Siniakova, Vondrousova and Krejcikova)

Germany v Belarus.
Germany has no one really good now(etc no Kerber or Goerges)
Belarus named Azarenka, Sabelenka, Sasnovich and Lapko. So, only 1 winner here.

France v Belgium.
Garcia named for France, for time since her fight with Kiki and others. Kiki also in the team.
Belgium has their strongest team as well, with Mertens leading the line.

World Group 2
Latvia v Slovakia (all big names are named in the tie, including Schmieds)
Swiss v Italy (Bencic and Giorgi(!!!!!!!) are named. Giorgi first tie in years)
Japan v Spain(No Muguruza, No Osaka)
Netherlands v Canada(No Bouchard, so that is good for Canada. No current big names in either team)

In the regional playoff games

Two Top 20 players play Zone Group ties: No.14 Daria Kasatkina and No. 20 Anett Kontaveit.
Monica Puig will beat up on American nations.
The Brits hope to win its first home tie in 26 years.

All up, 9 of the top 20 players will be playing in the first round of Fed Cup. Not a bad number. I reckon a lot of it has to do with the Olympics. Players are running out of chances to qualify for that. 1 player who could miss, after skipping this round of ties, is Wozniacki. She will need a special wild card as she won't have played the required amount of Fed Cup ties for Denmark. perhaps, a little part of me hopes it is because the Girls don't want the Fed Cup to change as the Davis Cup has. But I don't that.

Hmm, just noticed Dasha is playing doubles with Ash. I would have put Sharma in the doubles.

With Sharma's kick serve, i cannot disagree.

Although if Barty loses to Keys, wouldn't over surprise me if they put Dasha in for the last singles because of "experience"

Barty takes the first set over Keys. Keys is either going to hit a winner or unforced error. Pure ballbasher

You act surprised. That’s all Keys is and it’s got worse over the last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, Brazil, Britain, Kazakstan and Russia won their groups, while Japan, Slovakia, Dutch and Italy lost in the playoffs. They play each other for a place in World Group 2.

Which means, if we lose this, we could play either Latvia, Canada, Spain or Swiss(or Germany, Belgium and Czech Replubic) for a place in World Group 1. Avoid Latvia at all costs.

If we win, we get Belarus, which would be very tough. The other semi will be Romania v France. Personally, think we will have a Belarus v Romania final. Can't see how either nation loses if their big players turn up.

This was the big tie in the world group. Halep v Pliskova went for 2 and a half hours and the tie only just finished an hour ago. Huge win for Romania.

Last edited:
Well done girls.

If I had the number 1 draft pick and i had to choose a Fed Cup player, I would pick Ashley Barty every time. Just a fantastic tennis player. Hon played really well. Outperformed Collins and really held her own. Good call by Alica. Winning against the US in the US is a magnificent achievement.

A home tie gives us hope against Belarus.

Fantastic result from the aussies this weekend. Barty, take a bow.

The Romanian win was equally as impressive, especially from halep.

The fed cup is now the superior representative international tennis competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back