Mega Thread The Former Player Thread: Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

A couple of stories. Hanners to a mate of mine "my bodies f@@@@@.
Ted Richards wanting to go up in the Financial world coached Ajax Under 14's to appease a father who's kid is in the team. Now has a job with McQUARIE BANK.

Hope your mate is incorrect re Hanners as that's pretty sad for a 27 yr old.

Ted Richards wanting to go up in the Financial world coached Ajax Under 14's to appease a father who's kid is in the team. Now has a job with McQUARIE BANK.
This is the kind of post that makes my day. Thanks mate

Good article
And not just that, but a well-written one too. This sentence is probably the best summation of this presumably universal feeling that I've read:

That feeling of disappointment that compels us to change the channel as margins approach irreversibility proves that what we want from sport isn’t purely physical feats or record scores.

And not just that, but a well-written one too. This sentence is probably the best summation of this presumably universal feeling that I've read:

That feeling of disappointment that compels us to change the channel as margins approach irreversibility proves that what we want from sport isn’t purely physical feats or record scores.

And guess what, the first two games of the season both won by a single point.

I just wish there was a Swans team I could support, it takes away something from my experience to watch the games when it is impossible to feel any sort of allegiance to any of the teams.

And guess what, the first two games of the season both won by a single point.

I just wish there was a Swans team I could support, it takes away something from my experience to watch the games when it is impossible to feel any sort of allegiance to any of the teams.

Agreed, although it has been fun just watching the women have fun and do what they love. I have no idea who the **** 99% of them are but it's still good to see. Never understood the hate towards the women's comp. The truth is women started 120 years behind the men. The amazing, high-quality, competitive, physically-demanding and incredibly skilled footy we saw from about the 70s onwards only started because they had decades of young boys growing up playing footy, learning and mastering their craft, until it reached a point where only the best few hundred in the country actually got to play in the league. How funny it is that so many have forgotten the men's competition started out pretty much exactly the same as the women's currently is.

These are the scores from the first few grand finals played in the VFL as an official league:
1898: Essendon (38) d. Geelong (23)
1899: Fitzroy (27) d. South Melbourne (26)
1900: Melbourne (34) d. Fitzroy (30)
1901: Essendon (43) d. Collingwood (16)
1902: Collingwood (60) d. Essendon (27)
1903: Collingwood (31) d. Fitzroy (29)
1904: Fitzroy (61) d. Carlton (37)

It wouldn't be until 1906 when a score of over 90 was achieved in a grand final, and it wouldn't be until twenty years later in 1926 when a score of over 100 would be achieved in a grand final.

Imagine if three decades of low-scoring footy meant people just gave up on the competition, if no one spectated and kids stopped playing it. We wouldn't have the great game we have today a century later. Right now there will be young girls watching the women's competition, not caring about how many goals are kicked or the level of skill on display. They'll just be emulating it in their back-yard or in their local teams, playing more footy than the women currently playing ever got to experience, and the game will be all the better for it.

Agreed, although it has been fun just watching the women have fun and do what they love. I have no idea who the **** 99% of them are but it's still good to see. Never understood the hate towards the women's comp. The truth is women started 120 years behind the men. The amazing, high-quality, competitive, physically-demanding and incredibly skilled footy we saw from about the 70s onwards only started because they had decades of young boys growing up playing footy, learning and mastering their craft, until it reached a point where only the best few hundred in the country actually got to play in the league. How funny it is that so many have forgotten the men's competition started out pretty much exactly the same as the women's currently is.

These are the scores from the first few grand finals played in the VFL as an official league:

It wouldn't be until 1906 when a score of over 90 was achieved in a grand final, and it wouldn't be until twenty years later in 1926 when a score of over 100 would be achieved in a grand final.

Imagine if three decades of low-scoring footy meant people just gave up on the competition, if no one spectated and kids stopped playing it. We wouldn't have the great game we have today a century later. Right now there will be young girls watching the women's competition, not caring about how many goals are kicked or the level of skill on display. They'll just be emulating it in their back-yard or in their local teams, playing more footy than the women currently playing ever got to experience, and the game will be all the better for it.
Scoring will increase with better kicking technique which will come from women who have played the game from kids and better junior coaching. The women demonstrate the most exciting part of our great game. Courage and ferocious attack on the ball. Both games last night were cliff hangers and engrossing. Where are the Swans FFS?

. Where are the Swans FFS?
Building a new training facility so they can accommodate a women’s team (amongst other things). Should be complete next year so we will see a bid for a team thereafter (or in advance of its completion, I am not sure what the AFLs plans are re the next wave of expansion around that time).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic? Fabulous?

This is the kind of post that makes my day. Thanks mate
🤔 ? I could understand that view if Hanners went to Richmond, Hawthorn or Collwobbles, but the Aints? That's a bit rough.

Building a new training facility so they can accommodate a women’s team (amongst other things). Should be complete next year so we will see a bid for a team thereafter (or in advance of its completion, I am not sure what the AFLs plans are re the next wave of expansion around that time).
Is there any word on when we are planning to enter AFLW? Will it be as soon as the training facility is complete (ie. 2020)?

Is there any word on when we are planning to enter AFLW? Will it be as soon as the training facility is complete (ie. 2020)?

I don’t think it has specifically been stated but generally speaking it has been stated that we are committed to applying for a women’s team once we had the required facilities to house them without adversely effecting the men’s team.

So based on that I would assume a bid will come around the expected completion dated of the facility including the upgrades to the oval in front of the SCG (/around when the next intake of teams around that time).

Our commitment to an female academy suggests we are a female Swans team at some point in the near future.

They should have just enlarged the goal square.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back