BBL BBL 08

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously long season. Get it done even before the Aus Open (or by the end of the first week of the aus open). CA can have a sustainable cash cow for years with this model, or a cow thats been milked to death and is no longer of interest

He'll keep playing if they do, its just expected that there tournament is over.
I dont get why though

Thunder would need to beat the top of the table Hurricanes and significantly improve their NRR
or
Stars have to beat the Sixers who are second on the table and on a good run of form

The Heat should be favourites to finish 4th.

Is Bmac going to play finals if they make it or is he done.

Pretty sure one beer isn’t going to tip him over the edge!

He hasn’t been whinging about burn out like Lynn has even though Macca has more right to whinge of burn out than Lynn. Lynn should be fresh for finals if we get in, he has only faced about 6 balls all week on match days. Probably one of the few who was extremely happy to see Bryant and Cutting bat through.

I dont get why though

Thunder would need to beat the top of the table Hurricanes and significantly improve their NRR
or
Stars have to beat the Sixers who are second on the table and on a good run of form

The Heat should be favourites to finish 4th.

I got mugged off a week ago when I said to put your house on the Heat finishing 4th and that was before we even played the Strikers and before Stars got upset by the Scorchers.

It’s Happening....

The Heat will be a dangerous opponent if they sneak into the finals, if their batting line up fires like it did last night they will be hard to beat.

They won their last BBL title from the same position, the year Luke Pomersbach went nuts

Get it done even before the Aus Open
lol, tournament stands 2/3 thru December, how is it supposed to finish before the Aus Open starts?
or by the end of the first week of the aus open
Final group match of each season: Jan 19, Jan 12, Jan 27, Jan 22, Jan 18, Jan 21, Jan 27, Feb 10

I'd go for finishing the group matches by the end of January or thereabouts, so at the very latest, have the final in the first week of Feb.

Thought I'd see what the table would look like if:
a) there were Bonus Points, or
b) there were Bonus Points and a win was 4 points rather than 2.

A or B) SS drop to 3rd and would need to win their final game to finish 2nd (cannot finish 1st due to HH's better NRR)
A or B) ST cannot make the finals
A) MS would need a bonus point win to make finals and overtake BH due to a poor NRR

BBL08-bonus.JPG

Last edited:
CA have finally killed this

Knew it the moment they announced extra games.

Yep, any way you paint it, they’ve destroyed probably the fastest growing sporting competition in the country.

Was a juggernaught in the initial seasons, crowds are completely gone, tv ratings slashed, season is drawn out and boring AND it is ******* with the test side development.

It needs to be condensed to a 3 week carnival imo. Double headers every few days and games every day.

Expansion would completely kill the comp, it will be akin to the 50 over domestic comp by the end of the current TV deal if it happens...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting discussion in commentary tonight about the rules on overseas players. Seems as though there is no qualification rule for finals.

So if the Renegades (Nabi), Sixers (Curran) or Heat (Mujeeb) threw enough money and interest out there, they could potentially land a DeVilliers type in time for the Semi Finals.

I think the same thing happened when the Big Bash was the state comp. Didn't NSW get McCullum in for a final ?

Interesting discussion in commentary tonight about the rules on overseas players. Seems as though there is no qualification rule for finals.

So if the Renegades (Nabi), Sixers (Curran) or Heat (Mujeeb) threw enough money and interest out there, they could potentially land a DeVilliers type in time for the Semi Finals.

I think the same thing happened when the Big Bash was the state comp. Didn't NSW get McCullum in for a final ?

I thought they said there was a rule where you must play in the minor rounds as an import? I know Liam O'Connor played just the final last year so if it is a rule it musn't apply to local players (understandable).

And yeah NSW did get McCullum, don't think he made any runs that game though.

It was a strange discussion.

It started off with the Nabi news and the Renegades not being able to replace him because an international would need to play a qualifying game in the regular season.

Then later in the match Lehmann is pondering the Sixers signing AB as a replacement for Curran.

Then eventually after discussing it for 5 overs they went back to it not being allowed.

I think no one had the courage to tell Lehmann he was wrong so they just let him run with it but they kept digging so far they had to go back to correct him and avoid confusion.

‘The BBL is too long’ is getting to be the most overplayed and lazy criticism out there.

If they can get the pitches right and raise the salary cap to encourage a higher class of international the BBL will be fine. Next year we won’t have tests after New Years either so more players will be available.

had there been a result one way or the other in the thunder / heat game - the stars wouldn't have been there.

about time the stars had something go there way.

The tournament is way to long, typical of every Australian sport they try to fix what isnt broke and stuff it up.
4 weeks should be the length of it and not a day longer.
20/20 is not physically challenging to any athlete let alone professionals in this sport. They can easily play 3 games a week or more. An arvo and a night game daily for 3 weeks can easily fit in the schedule and then we can have it done and dusted within a month.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back