Training Axeman’s training reports and discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So I swung by Waverley this morning where conditons were sunny but nicely cool.

There were a lot of different things happenong on the ground today so i wasn't able to get a look at that many players but here are my observations form today:

The Chad is back. Not ballwork, but intensive running along the boundary. I imagine he will back in the main group very soon.

Scrimshaw back with the main group and training well.

Kosi still running but also doing some one on one goal kickong drills with one of the coaches where he would have the ball kicked or handballed to him as he ran past and he would run to 45 meters out on an angle and take a shot without breaking stride. He is an impressive unit. Moves incredibly well for a guy his size.

Mat Walker was with the main group in full training for the first time that I've seen, and I have to say that he is super impressive. I can see why the Hawks were keen to get him. Playing as a forward, he really attacks the ball and take sit first grab every time. Has a very good vertical leap as well. AFL ready build. Heaps to work with here.

Hardwick was on fire today. Very Hodge like in the way he is going about it. I don't think he got beaten in a single one on one contest all morning. He is showing great leadership out there as well.

Will Golds seems to rate a mention in every one of my reports...and he is going to get another one. I don't want to build too much Hype around the kid, but i love everything about what he does out there. Watched him successfully take clean posession of the ball in traffic, successfully evade all opponents, then use his speed to burn them off and deliver lace out to a forward. Overheard a coach telling the gruop after a fast paced handball and long kicking drill that Will's handballing was the best of the day. he looks like a kid amongst men, but he is fearless, and while he he might killed playing at AFL level due to his slightness, they would have to be able to catch him first. I've never been this bullish about a rookie pick.

Damon Greaves is growing in confiodence as the pre-season goes on. He is an elite kick but he also looks to have good natural game sense. He was very involved into todays game play, running off half back hitting his target every time.

J'OM was superb as always.

I liked Howe's work today as well. I feel like he is starting to get the balance right between aggression towards his opponent and being damaging with the ball.

Worpel was again excellent. Got plenty of clearances today. very clean one handed oick ups or simply reading the tap, gathers the ball and streams out of the centre square and sends a low, fast kick to his forward target. He did have a couple of avareage kicks but on the while i though his disposal was very good.

Pittonet was outsanding today. His contested marking is becoming a real feature of his game, often dropping back to fill the hole in defence.

Highlight was Birchall getting into ball work today. Lots of intesive, hard running followed by ball drills taht required lateral movement, sudden change of direction etc. really testing out the knee. Hopefully not too long now.

I'll probaly have one more report on Friday this week before I call it quits for this pre-season.

Looking forward to attending the intra-club on Wednesday evening. I'll bring my htoughs on that as I'm sure will many others.

That's all for today.

Hardwick was on fire today. Very Hodge like in the way he is going about it. I don't think he got beaten in a single one on one contest all morning. He is showing great leadership out there as well.
Speaking to one of the guys down the park where I walk my dog. His son played with Hardwick in the juniors (knows the parents as well). He was saying that Hardwick doesn't get the respect he deserves as an AFL player. Told him that we at Hawthorn rate him very highly. He couldn't speak more highly of him as a footballer and a person (said his parents are top notch as well). Reckons he could be something special and we haven't seen the best of him (should play in the midfield is his opinion).

There were a lot of different things happenong on the ground today so i wasn't able to get a look at that many players but here are my observations form today:

The Chad is back. Not ballwork, but intensive running along the boundary. I imagine he will back in the main group very soon.

Kosi still running but also doing some one on one goal kickong drills with one of the coaches where he would have the ball kicked or handballed to him as he ran past and he would run to 45 meters out on an angle and take a shot without breaking stride. He is an impressive unit. Moves incredibly well for a guy his size.

Mat Walker was with the main group in full training for the first time that I've seen, and I have to say that he is super impressive. I can see why the Hawks were keen to get him. Playing as a forward, he really attacks the ball and take sit first grab every time. Has a very good vertical leap as well. AFL ready build. Heaps to work with here.

Will Golds seems to rate a mention in every one of my reports...and he is going to get another one. I don't want to build too much Hype around the kid, but i love everything about what he does out there. Watched him successfully take clean posession of the ball in traffic, successfully evade all opponents, then use his speed to burn them off and deliver lace out to a forward. Overheard a coach telling the gruop after a fast paced handball and long kicking drill that Will's handballing was the best of the day. he looks like a kid amongst men, but he is fearless, and while he he might killed playing at AFL level due to his slightness, they would have to be able to catch him first. I've never been this bullish about a rookie pick.

Damon Greaves is growing in confiodence as the pre-season goes on. He is an elite kick but he also looks to have good natural game sense. He was very involved into todays game play, running off half back hitting his target every time.

I liked Howe's work today as well. I feel like he is starting to get the balance right between aggression towards his opponent and being damaging with the ball.

Worpel was again excellent. Got plenty of clearances today. very clean one handed oick ups or simply reading the tap, gathers the ball and streams out of the centre square and sends a low, fast kick to his forward target. He did have a couple of avareage kicks but on the while i though his disposal was very good.

Pittonet was outsanding today. His contested marking is becoming a real feature of his game, often dropping back to fill the hole in defence.

Highlight was Birchall getting into ball work today. Lots of intesive, hard running followed by ball drills taht required lateral movement, sudden change of direction etc. really testing out the knee. Hopefully not too long now.

I'll probaly have one more report on Friday this week before I call it quits for this pre-season.

Looking forward to attending the intra-club on Wednesday evening. I'll bring my htoughs on that as I'm sure will many others.

That's all for today.
Quality report. Thanks

Whats your impression of Worpell's fitness? Is he able to get to enough contests when the ball moves on from where he is?

Quality report. Thanks

Whats your impression of Worpell's fitness? Is he able to get to enough contests when the ball moves on from where he is?
His fitness had greatly improved. He has also trimmed down a lot and he definitely covers the ground quicker than he did before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's all for today.

Thanks again Axeman for being our eyes and ears with these training reports. In your opinion who out of the youngsters do you think has a chance to make their debut this season (if any)?

trophy.jpg

thanks axeman!
I might poke my head in after work this wednesday and have a look, i'm very interested to see the chf and chb spots can anyone step up there?
i think the younger mids and combination of outside run (impey,smith,scully,hendo) our midfield won't be to far off the mark without mitchell.

Do you think the big Pitt is ready to hold down a regular spot this yr?

Thanks again The_Axeman, you’re a star!

Good to hear that Birchall is increasing his training load & application. How does his pace look to you? Can he accelerate? Is he hitting good pace?

Thanks again,

Brant

The_Axeman - I am getting really excited about Pittonet mainly because it could be a break out year this year (rather than in years to come). Improving his contested marking is key for that flexibility when not in the ruck. Having a flexible ruck with forward nous makes such a big difference to a team.

Keen to see how it all works with selection if he has the goods

Kosi as a forward maybe? Didn’t see that coming. (Mind you it’s just one session with him goal kicking after leaving a rehab group).

Will Golds - if only he played with Campbell Brown so we would have Brown and Golds on the team. Oh well...

You rock Axe. Thanks heaps

That's all for today.
Thanks as always for the report.

From you various inferences it sounds like Will Golds is a quicker version of X Ellis. I hope his body holds up to the rigours of AFL footy.

Does Hardwick have the engine or miles (no pun intended) in the legs to play significant midfield time this year? If Glass comes on and we get Birch back, i'd love to see him in the guts.

The_Axeman - Kosi as a forward maybe? Didn’t see that coming. (Mind you it’s just one session with him goal kicking after leaving a rehab group).

It’s the old Clarkson “draft a KPP and play him at the opposite end of the ground he’s accustomed to” trick.

Thanks as always for the report.

From you various inferences it sounds like Will Golds is a quicker version of X Ellis. I hope his body holds up to the rigours of AFL footy.

Does Hardwick have the engine or miles (no pun intended) in the legs to play significant midfield time this year? If Glass comes on and we get Birch back, i'd love to see him in the guts.
Don’t say Xavier Ellis...😖

Remove this Banner Ad

Back