Play Nice Majak Daw in hospital after jumping from the Bolte bridge

Remove this Banner Ad

Really good news. Great to hear that everyone has put their arms around him and given him such support that he felt like he could pen something like that so soon.

Dec 28, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
So did Majak jump because of mental illness?

Or did Majak jump because he consumed some meds, had a bit to drink, tripped out and fought with his partner?

Two different issues here....

So did Majak jump because of mental illness?

Or did Majak jump because he consumed some meds, had a bit to drink, tripped out and fought with his partner?

Two different issues here....

Not necessarily. The former could've also contributed to the latter.

Witch1

Team Captain
Sep 4, 2016
MCG
AFL Club
Fremantle
Does it matter?

The issue is Majak's well being and depression/suicide.
Interesting that Consistently Knowing All cancelled the day he/she posted this. Maybe anticipated backlash.

I for one agree. There is a big difference between someone with a genuine mental illness and someone who makes a stupid/reckless decision fuelled by alcohol/drugs and desire to 'punish' partner after row. I don't believe that Majak genuinely set out to suicide, his fairly mild injuries attest to this.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting that Consistently Knowing All cancelled the day he/she posted this. Maybe anticipated backlash.

I for one agree. There is a big difference between someone with a genuine mental illness and someone who makes a stupid/reckless decision fuelled by alcohol/drugs and desire to 'punish' partner after row. I don't believe that Majak genuinely set out to suicide, his fairly mild injuries attest to this.

No it literally doesn't matter at all. What's important is Majak's health and the discussion about mental illness in society. The specifics in this one case are semantics

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors

Whether he set out to or not is moot, the survival rate jumping from that bridge is near enough 0%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd be wrong, and his mild injuries are down to chance/his very much more athletic form than the usual.

One misconception that people need to get over is that rich, famous people have nothing to complain about or shouldn't be depressed, because they have more than most.

Depression doesn't work that way. It is a chemical imbalance in the brain, which some people are vulnerable to. Anything can trigger it, and someone with every reason to be happy can still suffer deep depression and not know why they feel the way they do.

Depression doesn't discriminate, and can affect rich and poor alike.

Humans.

Great news on Majak.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Does anyone know, or did Majak say in his statement, if he will be able to play football one day again, given that early reports were that the injuries could be career-ending?

Witch1

Team Captain
Sep 4, 2016
MCG
AFL Club
Fremantle
Whether he set out to or not is moot, the survival rate jumping from that bridge is near enough 0%
Well, I don't know what info you've got but allegedly Majak fell 25m. It's a scientific fact that it generally take about a 75m fall in order to be fatal. A 25m drop wouldn't do you much good though and the injuries he sustained are probably typical. Just saying.

I'm as pleased as anyone that he's ok btw but unfortunately young men in particular will always make poor decisions when under influence.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Well, I don't know what info you've got but allegedly Majak fell 25m. It's a scientific fact that it generally take about a 75m fall in order to be fatal. A 25m drop wouldn't do you much good though and the injuries he sustained are probably typical. Just saying.

I'm as pleased as anyone that he's ok btw but unfortunately young men in particular will always make poor decisions when under influence.

The clearance of the bridge is 25m. With the barriers in place now and the density of the bridge itself he would have fallen from closer to 40m, give or take a couple of metres depending on whereabouts he was. The information about the success rate there came from somebody in Vic Police. Let's just say that even if the survival rate is a little better than the percentage I gave if Majak walks again he's closer to the percentage I provided in that regard.

The thread you're pulling in the second sentence is also off base and that's something I do know about.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS

It's not the physical injuries that will decide I wouldn't think. Life in the AFL system for a player is stressful and it's a clinical judgement, and ultimately his decusion, whether he should step away.

He's made it clear he wants to play again, so hopefully he can.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
I hope and pray his mental state is ok. If he wishes to return, I pray he will make it back from such shocking injuries.

It's pretty crazy the recovery. Has been sighted out and about on one crutch and is back at the club. The mental side is one thing but the physical recovery in a short time is astounding.

Walking with barely a limp, climbed over a waist high fence and stood and walked around unaided for an extended period at the Photo day and talking to fans. Looked in great spirits.

A truly absurd recovery so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back