General Political Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

There sure is... But he did indeed answer the question, by definition of the word answer .

It more likely just wasn't the "answer" you wanted to hear.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Think you might like to look up the definition of answer. Hint: it is not waffle.

IMG_9113-best-waffle-recipe-square.jpg

Apr 1, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Patriots, Dodgers, Canucks, MUFC
The point remains, he didn't answer questions, he deflected and/or obfuscated.
I'm sorry, I don't agree. It doesn't. He answered all the questions put to him. Aside from the one where he said too many ifs. I'll give you that one on a silver platter.

If he chooses to deflect and just stick to the political election line. So be it.

Not answering the question is walking away or saying next question.

But does create some healthy debate amongst us. Which is great.

I'm sorry, I don't agree. It doesn't. He answered all the questions put to him. Aside from the one where he said too many ifs. I'll give you that one on a silver platter.

If he chooses to deflect and just stick to the political election line. So be it.

I think that we will agree to disagree but I do note that if it were an exam, the result would be failure as he either didn't know the answer or misunderstood the question.

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Will be interesting to see if Mechaelia Cash gets away with answering questions in the same manner

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Will be interesting to see if Mechaelia Cash gets away with answering questions in the same manner
If her staff member's performance today is any indication she'll give nothing. Very competent lawyer cross examining so it should be interesting.

THE GUARDIAN

Last edited:
For any legal experts on here, is the following a legal defence, can he be made to answer as I thought that this was an American right under the 5th?

Cash’s former media adviser, David De Garis, told the court on Monday he learned police were set to raid the union’s offices about midday on 24 October. Asked who told him about the upcoming raids, De Garis replied: “I respectfully decline to answer that question on the grounds it may incriminate me.”

The other witnesses to be called are the ROC’s then-acting media adviser Mark Lee, Cash’s former chief of staff Ben Davies and Enright.

The federal police confirmed last month it would not lay charges against De Garis because there were “no prospects of a conviction”.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
For any legal experts on here, is the following a legal defence, can he be made to answer as I thought that this was an American right under the 5th?

Cash’s former media adviser, David De Garis, told the court on Monday he learned police were set to raid the union’s offices about midday on 24 October. Asked who told him about the upcoming raids, De Garis replied: “I respectfully decline to answer that question on the grounds it may incriminate me.”

The other witnesses to be called are the ROC’s then-acting media adviser Mark Lee, Cash’s former chief of staff Ben Davies and Enright.

The federal police confirmed last month it would not lay charges against De Garis because there were “no prospects of a conviction”.
This is a civil case so I think that answer is permissable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is interesting, quietly in the background changes to political donations.

https://www.aec.gov.au/Parties_and_Representatives/index.htm

Some changes have been made to election funding and disclosure laws in the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918 (Electoral Act) as a result of the Electoral Legislation Amendment (Electoral Funding and Disclosure Reform) Act 2018 (the FAD Reform Act). Some changes came into effect on 1 December 2018, while others came into effect on 1 January 2019.

The FAD Reform Act introduces new laws that affect political parties, their associated entities and other non-party political actors. Non-party political actors may include charities. Refer to the Charities electoral expenditure and disclosure page for more information.

The FAD Reform Act represents the most significant change to funding and disclosure legislation in some time. The AEC is in the process of preparing a suite of materials to assist in determining how these changes may impact you. This web page will be progressively updated with those materials as they are developed.

Key changes

bitadash

Senior List
Mar 25, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Calgary Flames, Renault
Forgive me if naive and insolent. But could followers of this board give me reasons to vote for and not to vote for United Australia.
Please don't take the piss. I am genuinely interested in your answers. I haven't heard of any balanced arguments from people more vested in this than I am and I'm curious for knowledge.
What I do know, is that I'm not gonna take it anymore :rolleyes:

TimmeT

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
PUP's performance in the last Parliament should be enough to disqualify any party Palmer is running in most people's minds. It was a clusterf*** of epic proportions.
Don't you think that it would be better to let him go to the next election to see what the people of Herbert actually think of him being their political representative so first so the rest of Australia can see it.

TimmeT

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Has he paid his workers yet ?

From what i can gather this is about the ONLY subject the left and right agree on atm , we all think he's a mutt
I think there is more chance of you and I having 20 babies together then there is of him paying his workers without a court or other enforceable legal order.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Forgive me if naive and insolent. But could followers of this board give me reasons to vote for and not to vote for United Australia.
Please don't take the piss. I am genuinely interested in your answers. I haven't heard of any balanced arguments from people more vested in this than I am and I'm curious for knowledge.
What I do know, is that I'm not gonna take it anymore :rolleyes:
Palmer only has one agenda. He wants to force the Chinese to compensate for some mining project (its late and I can't be bothered finding the details).
Failing that he intends to sue the WA Gov using the FTA provisions for billions.
I don't know why he wants a seat in Parliament but there's only ever one answer for Clive - Money.
His "policies" are simply designed to appeal to only the most base redneck voter, he seems to think doing a Trump is his best bet.
They (his policies have nothing to do with what he wants, believes or actually cares about, he just wants money.
There was some actual journalism from news.com which surprised me
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...y/news-story/c6df461da5414e714bee0e88d5dd0ad4

Judge who helped start the Environmental Defenders Office 30 years ago ruled against a mining company.
This is allegedly a conflict of interest because the EDF represented one of the parties in the case.

So... Credlin the evil says that judges should excuse themselves if there is even the slightest hint of a conflict of interest.

Remember when Dyson Heydon was tasked with deciding whether Dyson Heydon had any conflict of interest in Dyson Heydon remaining as Unions Royal Commissioner?
To the surprise of nobody Dyson Heydon decided that Dyson Heydon would not let a perceived conflict of interest impede Dyson Heydon's judgment.

Judge who helped start the Environmental Defenders Office 30 years ago ruled against a mining company.
This is allegedly a conflict of interest because the EDF represented one of the parties in the case.

So... Credlin the evil says that judges should excuse themselves if there is even the slightest hint of a conflict of interest.

Remember when Dyson Heydon was tasked with deciding whether Dyson Heydon had any conflict of interest in Dyson Heydon remaining as Unions Royal Commissioner?
To the surprise of nobody Dyson Heydon decided that Dyson Heydon would not let a perceived conflict of interest impede Dyson Heydon's judgment.

Every time she opens her mouth she proves why abbott was such an unmitigated failure as pm.
Just a spite machine.

Back