Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s worse. Cause they play clubs from both conferences, so all it does it limit who can play finalists. Making finals in conference A is going to be a lot harder than Conference B. If Freo beat Brisbane at home, and Carlton lose. Both better than 50:50, 8 wins to conference A and 2 wins to conference B after 2 rounds.

Yes, but the point of conferences is that you're not competing directly with the teams in the other conference for a finals spot. If conference B is weaker, they'll get found out come finals time.

It'll make more sense next year when there's less cross-conference games to confuse matters.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
And the reason for such a short season?
Is it because of
Telecast deals?
Unwillingness to have AFLW and AFL overlap?
Concern about high injury rates in AFLW? (By the end of a long season, teams may not have enough players left.)
Concern that too many rounds will kill audience engagement (a la the BBL)?

Is it because of
Telecast deals?
Concern about high injury rates in AFLW? (By the end of a long season, teams may not have enough players left.)

Has it to do with ground availability? How many stadiums they play at host cricket?

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Is it because of
Telecast deals?
I think it is partly money. Players are paid by contact hours. Every week you extend the season, you give every player in the comp a payrise.
Also overlap, I doubt they want AFLW competing with AFL for the same fanbase.
I doubt fan engagement is the reason, people are used to football being a season, unlike BBL.
I doubt its injuries, state leagues can go 20+ weeks. People talk about injuries in AFLW like womens footy is a new thing, but its not. Its also not appreciably higher than a number of other sports that seem able to play more than 7 weeks.

The conference system is a failure. As stated previously one of the undefeated will miss out, meanwhile Carlton or Collingwood could still win their conference.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
I think it is partly money. Players are paid by contact hours. Every week you extend the season, you give every player in the comp a payrise.
Also overlap, I doubt they want AFLW competing with AFL for the same fanbase.
I doubt fan engagement is the reason, people are used to football being a season, unlike BBL.
I doubt its injuries, state leagues can go 20+ weeks. People talk about injuries in AFLW like womens footy is a new thing, but its not. Its also not appreciably higher than a number of other sports that seem able to play more than 7 weeks.

I wonder if long term the AFL will consider extending the season earlier into the summer. Support would have to be enough to justify playing a lot of night games and it wouldn't be a perfect solution but the AFLW season going from December to early March would mean the focus was the AFLW and give the AFL the year round media coverage it wants.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If the ladder was 1-10, the top 5 sides are all in conference A.
Even after only 2 rounds, it is obvious the 4 best sides are not going to play in the finals.
Put a blight on the whole season and people will lose interest unless this is done better.
1549802407459.png

le dominateur

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2009
sadelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester City
If the ladder was 1-10, the top 5 sides are all in conference A.
Even after only 2 rounds, it is obvious the 4 best sides are not going to play in the finals.
Put a blight on the whole season and people will lose interest unless this is done better.
View attachment 617453
Disagree, top 2 in both conferences are still up for grabs, keeps interest going even for the bottom sides - Giants, Collingwood or even Carlton can still make the semis.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Conferences are to provide a justification for a season thats shorter than playing everybody once. Can you imagine the reaction if it was a normal structure, but they didnt play everybody?
Hopefully it's just a transitional measure thus year. The season will have to extend, there's no other way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Watched about 20mis of the Carl v Adel game and the standard looked to be a bit better. Carl looked gone mid 3rd term, adelaide a lot fitter.

What have the TV ratings been like compared to yr 1 & 2? It seems the media coverage is down compared to yr 1 and 2. Im not seeing or hearing much about AFLW compared to the last 2 years.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
We'll have to differ then.
Gil had said conferences could be the way of the future (in relation to the men, not the women). They ARE looking at conferences, and AFLW may be seen as a trial.

Don't like it myself, but the AFL don't always ask for my input.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Gil had said conferences could be the way of the future (in relation to the men, not the women). They ARE looking at conferences, and AFLW may be seen as a trial.

It hasn't hapoened and I cant see it will happen.

I don't understand why they didn't go with crossover finals.
As in: 1st Conference A vs 2nd Conference B prelim? I assume that is what they're doing, what makes you think otherwise?

Can't see conferences getting a run in the AFL. There's no appetite for more than 22 games (if anything there's a desire for less), and further expansion of teams just brings us closer to everyone playing each other once.

3 conferences of 6 in a 22 round season is a model they might be thinking of, but that is a much harder sell than what the AFLW are playing, especially in comparison to what's already in place.

I don't understand why they didn't go with crossover finals.

Pretty sure they are going that way. So that does offset the imbalance between conferences in that the top 2 teams from conference A would still play in the GF.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
They were discussing it on SEN radio today, and Wallace was pretty unequivocal that they are NOT doing crossover semi finals, in other words, the two best teams will probably be in one conference and they will knock each other out and play a lesser team in the grand final.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
They were discussing it on SEN radio today, and Wallace was pretty unequivocal that they are NOT doing crossover semi finals, in other words, the two best teams will probably be in one conference and they will knock each other out and play a lesser team in the grand final.
I think Wallace is wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back