Cummins Overrated?

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Good to hear the Sri Lankan batter not seriously injured. Slight concern when batsmen got nerve pain after being hit. Was hopeful it was just a reaction to muscle spasm of where he got hit. He will bat on again today so all good.

frenchcutforsix

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's fairly early in the morning and I've had two strong coffees but this may be the most ill-considered thread ever seen on the cricket boards
I think you really need to cut back on the coffee mate. But you're right this thread doesn't make any sense it's like saying Pele was overrated

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
People forget how he and Pollock ran through us in that 99 World Cup semi, we all remember Warne and that last over but those two bowled beautifully that day.
Most people remember how Donald didn't run through in that world cup semi... to the other end.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Donald cops all the s**t over that but I reckon it was definitely mostly Klusener's fault.
It's a tricky one. If Donald takes off straight away he makes it, but it's pretty unrealistic to expect a bloke to take off whilst there is still very much a possibility of the ball being fielded by the bowler. Also Donald got himself run out a ball or two earlier so you'd have to think he's not too keen to tempt things again. Furthermore Klusener probably should've had more awareness that his teammate was standing his ground - he was running more or less directly at Donald.

But I guess it's pretty hard to be too critical of Klusener when he almost pulled a win out of his ass.

That must've been one of the most devastating sporting sheds you could ever imagine after that game.

Of the sports I'm familiar with I can't think of too many more brutal losses, and that's before you factor in the context of their 1991 World Cup Semi Final and the fact Australia likely wouldn't have been in the semi finals if not for Herschelle Gibbs' drop in the Super Sixes. Also if they had beaten Australia in the SS's their Semi Final opponent would've been Zimbabwe, which you'd have expected South Africa too have handled without much trouble and get into the final, even though Zimbabwe did beat South Africa earlier in the tournament.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
where did they all go? McCullum and then there is nothing.. what has happened that s**t happens and then won't travel to Australia... sadly they are shattering the laughs and grey and something else..

frenchcutforsix

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
So apparently pat cummins needs 6 more wickets in the first ashes test to be the fastest Australian to 100 test wickets in 123 years. Why are there so many people here claiming he's overrated? It's completely absurd

Nel_cats

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
So apparently pat cummins needs 6 more wickets in the first ashes test to be the fastest Australian to 100 test wickets in 123 years. Why are there so many people here claiming he's overrated? It's completely absurd
The thread started out that way but I'm sure not a lot of people think he's overrated. It was only one or two really

frenchcutforsix

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I love how nitpicky some people get when debating the merits of players and their abilities. Some people seem to have a really really really small scope for allowing players to be defined as world class. "Cummins is world class" some here have claimed... Others seem to suggest "No he's not he hasn't taken a fivefer overseas whilst scoring a triple ton in the same match and finding a cure for cancer in the changing rooms". Actually to be fair it's just one bloke I'm directing this at. Cummins has quietly become one of the very best players we've ever produced. We are watching a once in a generation player doctor......

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Vaughan described him as the perfect cricketer.

Superstar bowler that can adapt to conditions, bowl line and length and also intimidate when need be. He can handle the bat, is an elite athlete and a world class fielder.

I think most people would agree with him.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
I love how nitpicky some people get when debating the merits of players and their abilities. Some people seem to have a really really really small scope for allowing players to be defined as world class. "Cummins is world class" some here have claimed... Others seem to suggest "No he's not he hasn't taken a fivefer overseas whilst scoring a triple ton in the same match and finding a cure for cancer in the changing rooms". Actually to be fair it's just one bloke I'm directing this at. Cummins has quietly become one of the very best players we've ever produced. We are watching a once in a generation player doctor......
I bet during Pattinson's 17 Tests he rated him as 'world class'.

frenchcutforsix

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Vaughan described him as the perfect cricketer.

Superstar bowler that can adapt to conditions, bowl line and length and also intimidate when need be. He can handle the bat, is an elite athlete and a world class fielder.

I think most people would agree with him.
He just blows me away how much better he is than everyone else we have. I don't think I've ever seen him bowl a poor spell, throw it away with the bat, drop a soda, misfield poorly or cause controversy in any way. Seems to train the house down too he's bulked up well

Last edited:

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
He just blows me away how much better he is than everyone else we have. I don't think I've ever seen him bowl a poor spell, throw it away with the bat, drop a soda or misfield poorly or cause controversy in any way. Seems to train the house down too he's bulked up well

CA probably missed a trick not making him a limited overs captain.

He hasn’t captained a team at any level, so it’s hard to gauge his tactical nouse.

If he’s showed any ability in the role I’d say he’d be odds on for the captaincy post Paine.

frenchcutforsix

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
CA probably missed a trick not making him a limited overs captain.

He hasn’t captained a team at any level, so it’s hard to gauge his tactical nouse.

If he’s showed any ability in the role I’d say he’d be odds on for the captaincy post Paine.
I wouldn't mind him getting the gig if and when Paine retires. Smith must never captain us again. His runs are welcomed back but I never want to hear another word out of him or Warner again. Paines doing a fantastic job at the moment imo. I'm really impressed by him. Seems to have a good understanding of his bowlers now he just needs to keep getting the best out of starc. One feels Tim Paine will ultimately be judged on how well he achieves this.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
He just blows me away how much better he is than everyone else we have. I don't think I've ever seen him bowl a poor spell, throw it away with the bat, drop a soda, misfield poorly or cause controversy in any way. Seems to train the house down too he's bulked up well

I'm not a fan of "best player = captain", because it's not always the best choice, but surely he's the next captain after Paine?

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
I wouldn't mind him getting the gig if and when Paine retires. Smith must never captain us again. His runs are welcomed back but I never want to hear another word out of him or Warner again. Paines doing a fantastic job at the moment imo. I'm really impressed by him. Seems to have a good understanding of his bowlers now he just needs to keep getting the best out of starc. One feels Tim Paine will ultimately be judged on how well he achieves this.

I am a bit worried about what we do after Tim Paine retires. If Travis Head makes himself a good Test cricketer could he develop into the role eventually in 3 years time ?
There are no obvious options. Personally do not want a bowler captain.

Back