NFL 2018 Super Bowl LIII - Los Angeles Rams vs New England

Super Bowl options.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If Malcolm Smith deserved it in such a team dominate defensive performance in SB 48 surely a defensive player should have won it in the lowest scoring SB ever.

This "there was no standout performance" is a bunch of murlarky...there were multiple standout performances. Said on the day I thought Van Noy or Gilmore deserved it, wouldn't have been upset if Hightower had got it either.

If Malcolm Smith deserved it in such a team dominate defensive performance in SB 48 surely a defensive player should have won it in the lowest scoring SB ever.

This "there was no standout performance" is bunch murlarky...there were multiple standout performances. Said on the day I thought Van Noy or Gilmore deserved it, wouldn't have been upset if Hightower had got it either.
Exactly! Well explained. It's really making me raaaaaaaaaage thinking about it all.

This "there was no standout performance" is a bunch of murlarky...there were multiple standout performances. Said on the day I thought Van Noy or Gilmore deserved it, wouldn't have been upset if Hightower had got it either.
Dont'a Hightower, Kyle Van Noy, Stephon Gilmore and Jason McCourty (he made a lot of key plays) all would have been worthy SB MVPs.

This is a really good video analysis of the SB.
Like how they bash the fanfare for Edelman...it was all McDaniels scheming, creating match-up advantages. Also like how they rubbish the NFL like I did before about how all awards just keep going to offensive players.
Like how they rubbish fans and analysts who just don't know football, schemes, etc, and how Phil would love to vote in/out the VOTERS of the HOF.
And many other highlights too many to name.

This is a really good video analysis of the SB.
Like how they bash the fanfare for Edelman...it was all McDaniels scheming, creating match-up advantages. Also like how they rubbish the NFL like I did before about how all awards just keep going to offensive players.
Like how they rubbish fans and analysts who just don't know football, schemes, etc, and how Phil would love to vote in/out the VOTERS of the HOF.
And many other highlights too many to name.
Yep, Chris Simms is my favourite analyst going around, and great personalities on the podcast. Too bad it's ending. Phil Simms is also great, a hilarious man.

I was watching another episode earlier today, was meant to link it for you, something hilarious Phil said or did. IDK. I will link more that I find interesting/funny

But in general, Chris Simms, having been around the great Giants teams in the 80s/90s, all the great coaches and legendary players. Son of an NFL SB winning QB, played at college, drafted 3rd round, played for 4 NFL teams, coached for the NE Patriots under Belichick, etc. etc. He is more keyed in on professional football than anyone out there in the media. Calls it as it is 100% of the time

He gives more insight into the Pats org than anyone I've ever seen or heard it's amazing

Last edited:
Yep, Chris Simms is my favourite analyst going around, and great personalities on the podcast. Too bad it's ending. Phil Simms is also great, a hilarious man.

I was watching another episode earlier today, was meant to link it for you, something hilarious Phil said or did. IDK. I will link more that I find interesting/funny

But in general, Chris Simms, having been around the great Giants teams in the 80s/90s, all the great coaches and legendary players. Son of an NFL SB winning QB, played at college, drafted 3rd round, played for 4 NFL teams, coached for the NE Patriots under Belichick, etc. etc. He is more keyed in on professional football than anyone out there. Calls it as it is 100% of the time

He gives more insight into the Pats org than anyone I've ever seen or heard it's amazing

I appreciate Chris and Phil Simms. They really break stuff wide open. But I think most thinking former players (QBs usually) make great commentators, writers, analysts, because you get actual x's and o's education. I admit, sometimes I can't keep up, and find it amazing how pro players and coaches can delve into strategy so much on every play, every drive, every game. So many assignments, checks, reads, keys, they have to be cognizant of. We really don't realize the enormity of film preparation that occurs. We just see players do stuff and don't understand/see exactly WHY they're doing what they're doing, or what went into it pre-game. But they do it for so many years that they became good teachers of football x's/o's to fans, especially if they had a role in their team that enabled them to be esoteric. Like a Center who had to call out blocking assignments, a QB who had to know entire offensive systems and reading defenses, a MLB. Those types of players can become good teachers as former players.

Sadly, as Phil mentioned in the video.....a lot of media coverage of the sport, in print, radio and TV, is more entertainment driven, or becomes that due to the person presenting not actually having a football background....so there's a lot of tired, repetitious, simple analysis that occurs. There are so many shows these days on NFL/ESPN that is more about click-baiting and hooping and hollering clowning about. But I remember about 8 years ago or so, most shows were more in-depth analysis and x/o explanations.

Sadly, as Phil mentioned in the video.....a lot of media coverage of the sport, in print, radio and TV, is more entertainment driven, or becomes that due to the person presenting not actually having a football background....so there's a lot of tired, repetitious, simple analysis that occurs. There are so many shows these days on NFL/ESPN that is more about click-baiting and hooping and hollering clowning about. But I remember about 8 years ago or so, most shows were more in-depth analysis and x/o explanations.

At least there's some shows/commentators that give you that insight. AFL is absolutely bereft of any intelligent analysis. Just boofheads shouting over the top of each other.

At least there's some shows/commentators that give you that insight. AFL is absolutely bereft of any intelligent analysis. Just boofheads shouting over the top of each other.
AFL commentary and its subsequent talking head coverage is the worst in the world. It's beyond atrocious.

AFL commentary and its subsequent talking head coverage is the worst in the world. It's beyond atrocious.

& problem is they think theyre so ******* good. How is it even possible someone like Basil Zempilas gets anyone near a sports coverage microphone, even in these 'jobs for the boys' ridden industries, it defies explanation.

I tell you what the world will never run out of?

Smartarses.

& problem is they think theyre so ******* good. How is it even possible someone like Basil Zempilas gets anyone near a sports coverage microphone, even in these 'jobs for the boys' ridden industries, it defies explanation.
You didn't know Basil is really good, long time mates with Kerry Stokes' son?

You didn't know Basil is really good, long time mates with Kerry Stokes' son?

No & makes sense but even still the guy is a complete incompetent when it comes to calling footy & his employers must be aware he diminishes their product. I refuse to listen to him call games, it pains me too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kyle Van Noy “couldn’t believe” Rams didn’t try anything different

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 15, 2019, 12:57 PM EST

gettyimages-1127213832-e1550253417493.jpg

Getty Images

The Rams’ offense gave the Patriots’ defense a big advantage in Super Bowl LIII by running exactly what New England was expecting.

That’s the word from Patriots linebacker Kyle Van Noy, who said on Pardon My Take that he was shocked by the way the Rams did everything the Patriots had prepared for, and never tried to surprise them by trying something different.

“I couldn’t believe that,” Van Noy said. “They really didn’t do one wrinkle. I was like, ‘What the hell?’ They’ve got so many good players. They’ve got so many things they’ve done all year, and the one play they gave us which was a wrinkle was the [Brandin Cooks] screen that hit for a little bit. And that was it.”

After a long season in which Rams head coach Sean McVay was hailed as the NFL’s next great offensive mastermind, it’s hard to believe he couldn’t come up with anything new in the Super Bowl.

Atlanta is already angling for another Super Bowl

Posted by Mike Florio on February 14, 2019, 12:44 PM EST

gettyimages-1127227326-e1550166116521.jpg

Getty Images

Rarely if ever does a city, in the aftermath of hosting a Super Bowl, declare “nah, we’re good” on the subject of whether that city wants to host another NFL championship game.

Via the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Atlanta Sports Council president Dan Corso said that his group has submitted to the NFL a “letter of interest” to host the 2025 (LIX), 2026 (LX), or 2027 (LXI) Super Bowl.

The league already has determined the sites of the next five Super Bowls. LIV will be played in Miami next year, LV goes to Tampa, LVI will land in Los Angeles, LVII will be played in Arizona, and LVIII will happen in New Orleans.

Las Vegas surely will enter the mix at some point, and there’s a belief that (eventually) the rotation will consist of L.A., Miami, New Orleans, and Las Vegas, with a wild-card city like Houston, Phoenix, Dallas, etc. getting roughly every fifth Super Bowl.

In 2017, the NFL ditched the traditional bidding process, shifting instead to a procedure that consists of approaching a target city. This avoids the frustration that flows from preparing a formal bid and losing to another city.

Would love to see a SB played in snow and ice one year....just one!

Players covered in mud or stained with dirt, steam coming off their breaths and body, blood and bandages mixed with white snow and frozen tundra. Ah yes!

Would either keep the corporates/celebs away

Players covered in mud or stained with dirt, steam coming off their breaths and body, blood and bandages mixed with white snow and frozen tundra. Ah yes!

The NFL wouldn't want that, it could mean we only see one TD for a whole SB! Or one team scoring only 3 points! NFL wants indoor stadiums to guarantee high scoring games.

We almost got a snowy one at MetLife a few years back, iirc it wasn't until late in the week forecast changed from snow to rain but yeah love to see an icy SB.

Hundreds of Super Bowl workers claim they haven’t been paid
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on February 27, 2019, 3:11 AM EST
gettyimages-1127234606-1-e1551253562707.jpg

Getty Images
Over 200 people that served as temporary workers for events surrounding the Super Bowl in Atlanta say they haven’t been paid for the work they provided.
According to 11 Alive, the workers were employed by B.E. Staffing Services, which closed its doors in the days immediately following the game. The workers say they have not been paid for the work they put in and are seeking accountability from the company, the city of Atlanta and the NFL.
“We are standing in front of Mercedes-Benz Stadium asking for relief … it’s very clear they never intended to pay these folks,” former city councilman Derrick Boazman said. “Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms was the face of the Super Bowl. She needs to come see about her citizens.”
Workers said Tuesday they had committed over 100 hours in time to working events surrounding the game only to have B.E. Staffing close and leave them high and dry after the game was over.
NFL V.P of Communications Brian McCarthy told the station they had been assured by the company that the workers would be paid.
“We have been in contact with that company which has assured us that staffers will be fully compensated,” McCarthy said

Back