Which AFL team is most similar to your own AFL team?

Posts in the *three favourite oppositions teams* thread made me think about this related but distinct question

For the Eagles, Adelaide is the obvious one for me- SA equivalent of my team and other connections through Pyke and #weflyasone . We are also similar enough in terms of our origins and our off-field/on-field success. Brother from another mother indeed and my second favourite team.

Essendon is a close second due to us both being financial and membership powerhouses, the Sheedy rivalry, and now the Woosha connection. Historically, we also have similarities in an off-field sense - in terms of controversy, and financial/membership success.

Posts in the *three favourite oppositions teams* thread made me think about this related but distinct question

For the Eagles:
-Adelaide is the obvious one for me- SA equivalent of my team and other connections through Pyke and #weflyasone . We are also similar enough in terms of our origins and our off-field/on-field success. Brother from another mother indeed.
-Essendon is a close second due to us both being financial and membership powerhouses, the Sheedy rivalry, and now the Woosha connection. Historically, we also have similarities in an off-field sense - in terms of controversy, and financial/membership success.

I think this was further enhanced when Woosha coached us after what happened with Phil Walsh.

The fact we played our first game after the tragedy against the Eagles and the attitude and behavior of the Eagles crowd towards the AFC on that night was admirable to say the least.

Respect.

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
going by AFL era only:

Eagles=Crows
Port "kinda" = Freo, but not treally. Still plenty of similarities...being the port town and being from the historically dominate place of the old state leagues.
Dons=Blues (all about that history but nothing really in the last 15 + years)
Cats=Hawks (the two best vic clubs in the AFL era by a long looong way)

Not many at either club wants to admit it, but Collingwood and Richmond are both cut from the same cloth.

Both started as clubs for working class, Catholic suburbs of inner Melbourne. Both grew from their lowly origins to amass huge numbers of fans that are regarded as feral by many other clubs. Both drove each other to near the point of insolvency.

All of Collingwood’s other major rivals (Melbourne, Carlton & Essendon) are representatives of the Establishment whose original fan bases were taken from the opposite end of society. Richmond and Collingwood hate each other because they’re so similar to each other.

Not many at either club wants to admit it, but Collingwood and Richmond are both cut from the same cloth.

Both started as clubs for working class, Catholic suburbs of inner Melbourne. Both grew from their lowly origins to amass huge numbers of fans that are regarded as feral by many other clubs. Both drove each other to near the point of insolvency.

All of Collingwood’s other major rivals (Melbourne, Carlton & Essendon) are representatives of the Establishment whose original fan bases were taken from the opposite end of society. Richmond and Collingwood hate each other because they’re so similar to each other.

I'd agree with this.

Even more true currently because Collingwood's 2018 gameplan was in large part a copy of Richmond 2017.

I entirely agree with your posts GROTTO and kid_a to the point where I have nothing to add.

At the risk of sounding like the non-Vic fan I am, the Collingwood/Richmond similarity being touted above is something I had never really considered , but it all fits.
The 2018/7 similarity sealed the deal :p .

sounda

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I think this was further enhanced when Woosha coached us after what happened with Phil Walsh.

The fact we played our first game after the tragedy against the Eagles and the attitude and behavior of the Eagles crowd towards the AFC on that night was admirable to say the least.

Respect.

I was at that game at Subiaco and you could almost sense that the crowd would not have complained had the Crows won. Now that's a very rare thing for a pro WCE crowd. We even begrudge the visiting team kicking one goal but not the Crows and not on that night.

I think that the WCE supporters admired the fact that the Crows players turned up to play that night and gave it a good shot despite losing their coach in such tragic circumstances. Earned a truck load of respect.

And Richmond 2017, was a copy of the Bulldogs in 2016, and on it goes.

There are degrees.

All clubs learn from other successful clubs and adapt their ideas that work and fit into their gameplan.

Collingwood threw out their gameplan and adopted Richmonds.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Pre-97 I would have likened us to Collingwood.
Post-97 I think we resemble Richmond.

They were my thoughts before I read past the first post.

I don't think we are that similar to Freo, apart from the obvious geographical and chronological connotations.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
North have a culture of success though.

Not really. They had 2 good decades. The 70s where they got ahead of the curve and recruited well from interstate, and the 90s where they did develop a good side from their underage programme as well as again recruiting the best player of the modern era from interstate. Outside of those eras North have been largely starved of success.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Not really. They had 2 good decades. The 70s where they got ahead of the curve and recruited well from interstate, and the 90s where they did develop a good side from their underage programme as well as again recruiting the best player of the modern era from interstate. Outside of those eras North have been largely starved of success.
Hmmm
I guess I look at at teams from my lifetime. They've won 4 flags and been regular finalists in that period.
I have little idea of what went ln before then

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond

Yeah if Richmond magically ceased to exist and we were all forced to become Collingwood supporters I don't think any of us would notice the slightest difference. In our general attitude and behaviour, in how we perceive our club and supporter base relative to the rest of the competition, we'd carry on exactly the same. We'd just be Richmond people following the Magpies. And that's the reason why unlike Carlton for example, I can't actually 'hate' Collingwood or Collingwood supporters. For me at least hating Collingwood would be too much like hating myself.

McOrist

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
The East
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some similarities between Collingwood and Port Adelaide -although more the old SANFL variety Port Adelaide than the AFL version.
Both clubs had similar working class backgrounds, both had plenty of past success and obviously the same colours and mascot.
Lots of player & coach links too -especially in the 70's and 80's -Bomber Clifford, Greg Phillips, Bruce Abernathy, Mark Williams, Jack Cahill, Nathan Buckley.

Back