Who would you choose in the Mis-Season Draft: Multiple selections allowed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As Meadows is signed on for Box Hill and obviously at this stage likely to not be first choice to play perhaps we let him play half the year at box Hill to earn a senior game and learn the systems and nab him midseason.

That way we still have an option of another type of player if the situation changes and we desperately need a key position player.

Say we are top 4 and someone is dominating the sanfl at full forward and none of our guys are coming on, I think it's worth having the option to bring that guy in to push for a flag.

Geelong did similar with podsiadly and he was a perfect partner for Hawkins.

Would other clubs be able to pick him up in the meantime? Just wondering.

Reckon we are still short on midfield depth.

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah, if we don't and someone else offers him a gig, he'll take it and fair enough. The other problem with leaving it until the mid-season draft, is that we won't have the first pick (hopefully), so could miss out if he's the best option out there.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As Meadows is signed on for Box Hill and obviously at this stage likely to not be first choice to play perhaps we let him play half the year at box Hill to earn a senior game and learn the systems and nab him midseason.

That way we still have an option of another type of player if the situation changes and we desperately need a key position player.

Say we are top 4 and someone is dominating the sanfl at full forward and none of our guys are coming on, I think it's worth having the option to bring that guy in to push for a flag.

Box Hill’s team looks outstanding. Back to back flags are not out of the question.

If we are to take a mature age player at the half year, then it may be a competition between Moore, Meadows and Hams. Great stuff. O’Donnel and Brolic may even get a look in based on needs.

Yeah, if we don't and someone else offers him a gig, he'll take it and fair enough. The other problem with leaving it until the mid-season draft, is that we won't have the first pick (hopefully), so could miss out if he's the best option out there.

Meadows chose to come to the Box Hill Hawks from Western Australia for a reason: we are HIS best fit as an AFL team.
We have the inside running if he is needed. We don’t always choose well (e.g. Sam Collins) but mostly we do (e.g. Sam Mitchell).

Last edited:

Based on reports from the intraclub, I'd be surprised if we didn't pick him up. Our midfield is lacking depth and many are looking to a second year player to shoulder a huge amount of our grunt work with Mitchell going down. Meadows is still very young in his midfield days and under Sammy's guidance could really develop into a solid player for us.

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Based on reports from the intraclub, I'd be surprised if we didn't pick him up. Our midfield is lacking depth and many are looking to a second year player to shoulder a huge amount of our grunt work with Mitchell going down. Meadows is still very young in his midfield days and under Sammy's guidance could really develop into a solid player for us.

Hope we pick him up. Sure others would be eyeing him off and no point in waiting till mid year, when he's an obvious talent.

And as they say...

download.jpg

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen

As I’ve said before, different players bring different dynamics! We could have a inside mid combination of youthful energy that can hunt the ball and the oppo like a pack of hungry hyenas! With jaeger, H, Worps , Jones, Cousins , Howe getting a helping Hand from Shiels, Burgoyne and Izzy, Hendo , it gets me excited as to what’s ahead for our club going into 2019! Add Sculls and we’re a lot more dangerous then people expect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

aussie80s

All Australian
Jan 12, 2008
The Mountain
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wolves, Packers, Celtic, Box Hill
I was at the intra club game and didn't notice Meadows in particular (different numbers and hairstyles took a while to work out some of the newer players) but he seems ready to step in to fill a midfield hole. Most of the midfield players on both sides seemed to play OK. It was a fairly fast moving game in warm conditions.

I did however keep an eye on Reeves as I had heard a bit about him. He is certainly tall but very light and skinny. He was generally pushed around by the experienced McEvoy, Ceglar and even Pittonet one on one but showed ability at reading the play and he has clean skills for a big man. He tired very early in the game and seemed to struggle covering the ground which will improve over time with a strength program and a fitness base. As a player he would be 2-3 years away from AFL standard rucking as he will need to spend time in the gym - that's fairly much the go with most ruckmen in that they take time to grow into their frames more than onballers.

As such I think the club would do well to secure Meadows now as a rookie as he could step in immediately if required. I would agree that it would be best to monitor Reeves' progress at Box Hill at this stage. I think Reeves would be a good chance to play AFL eventually but is still very speculative at this stage.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’m on the sign Meadows now train.
We absolutely need depth & he can learn his craft at Box Hill if he has a chance to be a senior player.

Big Reeves can play at Box Hill, no need to sign him up this early & he could be on a promise for a similar rookie position next season to get on the Hawks list as a top up.
If he is committed to Hawthorn he will wait 12 months.

The interesting one for me is Andrew Moore. If Meadows has the capacity to be depth 2019 & a list spot in 2020, why not give a ready made player like Moore the other rookie spot?
He is a hardened player, plays inside & has Hawthorn systems already under his belt.
If Sam Mitchell is touted as a midfield whisperer & we are chasing cover in that area, give him a true project in Andrew Moore.
Worst case he is he can’t crack the team because of Howe, Shiels ect holding him out.
Best case he is the first hands on battering ram that can open up a stoppage for Jags, Morrison, Worpel & do it for most of a game in a Sewell type role.

Given Pitto was drafted in 2014 and is only now starting to show signs of being AFL ready if Reeves was ready in 2-3 years would be a miracle.

I know guys who watched him this year at A grade ammos and he reportedly struggled at this level.

The issue is it is a draft in the midseason so there is no guarantee we can get our preferred player. Hence if we like Meadows now is the time to take him.

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Quick question - Taking both Meadows and Reeves will render Cat B Rookie Conor Nash (and CJ) as unselectable, correct?

Nash will need another LTI to happen before he can be promoted from Cat B and selected for Hawthorn?

In fact taking just one of them will do this, as Langford was already a Cat A Rookie. Unless Cat B can replace an injured Cat A?

Last edited:

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As I’ve said before, different players bring different dynamics! We could have a inside mid combination of youthful energy that can hunt the ball and the oppo like a pack of hungry hyenas! With jaeger, H, Worps , Jones, Cousins , Howe getting a helping Hand from Shiels, Burgoyne and Izzy, Hendo , it gets me excited as to what’s ahead for our club going into 2019! Add Sculls and we’re a lot more dangerous then people expect.

That’s a poor midfield, not enough high end talent to compete inside with the best in the league. The only way for us to compete, and this is just my opinion -

Omera (improves 3-4 possessions)
Wingard (60-40 mid/fwd)
Worpel (progresses to a 24p player)
Scully (comes back to his best early)

Those 4 hold our chances in their hands.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That’s a poor midfield, not enough high end talent to compete inside with the best in the league. The only way for us to compete, and this is just my opinion -

Omera (improves 3-4 possessions)
Wingard (60-40 mid/fwd)
Worpel (progresses to a 24p player)
Scully (comes back to his best early)

Those 4 hold our chances in their hands.

And Sic dawg.

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Given Pitto was drafted in 2014 and is only now starting to show signs of being AFL ready if Reeves was ready in 2-3 years would be a miracle.

I know guys who watched him this year at A grade ammos and he reportedly struggled at this level.
And pitto was already very solid when dratted.

Quick question - Taking both Meadows and Reeves will render Cat B Rookie Conor Nash (and CJ) as unselectable, correct?

Nash will need another LTI to happen before he can be promoted from Cat B and selected for Hawthorn?

In fact taking just one of them will do this, as Langford was already a Cat A Rookie. Unless Cat B can replace an injured Cat A?
Yes, that's my understanding.

Back