Recommitted Josh Kelly [re-signs with GWS]

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Yeah, the HS went a bit different too with their wording - "The Herald Sun understands North Melbourne, who offered Kelly an estimated $11 million over nine years to defect after the 2017 season, is aware Kelly is likely to remain a Giant".

I guess end of the day we're staying in it until we win it or lose it but there won't be any chicken counting prematurely this time.

Yep, you've got to be in it to win it - my mob (the Eagles are rumoured to keep Steve Coniglio under close watch) are in the same boat, though in both cases I'd prefer to see the Giants keep their talent.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Yep, you've got to be in it to win it - my mob (the Eagles are rumoured to keep Steve Coniglio under close watch) are in the same boat, though in both cases I'd prefer to see the Giants keep their talent.
I they're very different differently cases. I expect Cogs to commit any day, it's not certain but that's my view. I have no doubt I want him to.

Read the details of the article and there are worrying signs that Kelly is acting a bit like a prima donna. No doubt we'd miss Kelly's talent, but I'm thinking taking the hit might not be a bad thing.

Have to trust the club I guess, and I do.

Theres some talk, take it with a grain of salt, the deal is already done and awaiting AFL approval.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
You'd imagine they couldn't sign off on it quick enough.

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
If he was to leave GWS, he will go to a top 4 team IMO.
These GWS guys have been so close to getting a flag a few times but havent got there.
They will leave to win one now IMO.
The only way he would go to a lesser team is if GWS win in 2019.
Just my opinion.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
These GWS guys have been so close to getting a flag a few times but havent got there.
Just my opinion.

A top 4 team won't have great draft currency to offer. Essendon were in a good spot last year with pick 9 and the ability to trade the following year's first round pick as part of a trade for Dylan Shiel. I they were top 4 and the best they could offer is pick 15 maybe that deal never gets done.

A player as good as Kelly would fit into any team but he'd be ideal for a club that has a good young spine but not a top midfield. My team for example has great talls and a good but not outstanding midfield. Our list profile a couple of years ago + Kelly now would've been awesome.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just my opinion.
I disagree. Kelly joining a middle-level side could make the difference for them. Someone like North could go from sitting just outside finals to competing for top 4, and he would recognise that. Not that North are the only option, mind you

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
A top 4 team won't have great draft currency to offer. Essendon were in a good spot last year with pick 9 and the ability to trade the following year's first round pick as part of a trade for Dylan Shiel. I they were top 4 and the best they could offer is pick 15 maybe that deal never gets done.

A player as good as Kelly would fit into any team but he'd be ideal for a club that has a good young spine but not a top midfield. My team for example has great talls and a good but not outstanding midfield. Our list profile a couple of years ago + Kelly now would've been awesome.
A top 4 team would have to trade some players to get him with draft picks

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
I disagree. Kelly joining a middle-level side could make the difference for them. Someone like North could go from sitting just outside finals to competing for top 4, and he would recognise that. Not that North are the only option, mind you
I dont think an 1 good outside mid would make much difference to a mid tear team.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I dont think an 1 good outside mid would make much difference to a mid tear team.
If Kelly joined a side with a strong but slow group of inside mids like North or Port, I think it really would make an enormous difference. Although with Polec and Hall already heading to North, the difference Kelly makes would be a bit less than for a side like Port

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

Richmond were putrid in 2016 then won the 2017 flag after adding Prestia and Nankervis who are decent enough players but hardly superstars in their positions. Granted they weren't the only areas of improvement but they filled areas of need. We've had 3 surprise premiers in a row, Kelly could make a big difference to a number of teams.

Yeah, the HS went a bit different too with their wording - "The Herald Sun understands North Melbourne, who offered Kelly an estimated $11 million over nine years to defect after the 2017 season, is aware Kelly is likely to remain a Giant".

I guess end of the day we're staying in it until we win it or lose it but there won't be any chicken counting prematurely this time.

I gather you mean from yourself and not North supporters in general? :p;) There is a lot of straw clutching going on from a certain someone after he expressed to the world that Kelly was an absolute lock to be at North next year.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
I gather you mean from yourself and not North supporters in general? :p;) There is a lot of straw clutching going on from a certain someone after he expressed to the world that Kelly was an absolute lock to be at North next year.

I actually meant from the club.

They'll play things cooler in the future.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I wouldn’t call Kelly outside mid. He can win his own ball.

Dusty exploding took a bottom 6 team to a flag. The elite can do that.

We were 3 games off top 4 and lost 4 by 10 points or less. I think Kelly is worth more than 10 points a game imo.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I wouldn’t call Kelly outside mid. He can win his own ball.

Dusty exploding took a bottom 6 team to a flag. The elite can do that.

We were 3 games off top 4 and lost 4 by 10 points or less. I think Kelly is worth more than 10 points a game imo.
He isn't an outside mid. We used him predominantly there last year because we were down on outside run. Averaged 5 clearances a game in 2017 when used as a hybrid mid.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Outside mid really means guys like Gaff, Polec, Whitfield, Isaac Smith etc. who get a heap of kicks but don't win a lot of hard ball (clearances, tackles, contested possessions). Wingmen basically. Inside mids being the guys who spend most of their time starting in the centre square.

It's also mistakenly used to describe any midfielder who happens to be an excellent ball user. Dustin Martin, Scott Pendlebury, Luke Shuey... these guys are silky with ball in hand but not afraid to get their hands dirty. Kelly is one of these guys. Put him on the wing and he'll get 20 kicks. Put him on the ball and he'll get 30 touches and 6 or 7 clearances.

The whole inside/outside thing is really just a way of pumping up guys who are good at one aspect of the game but not another. Instead of being a plodder who can't kick over a jam jar Matt Priddis is an 'elite inside mid'. Instead of being a soft outside receiver Andrew Gaff is an 'elite outside mid'.

Back