Damien Barrett is at it again

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
This probably belongs in the media thread but I'm banned from there and this deserves it's own thread anyway.

Carrying on his campaign against anything Bulldogs that has been going on since Bevo made him pee his pants at the Brownlow, this time Barrett has gone too far. To be honest I get a kick out of his constant crapping on our club as its gotten to a point that its just embarrassing for him. But personal attacks on Premiership heroes is where I draw the line. In his recent article he paints Premiership Captain Easton Wood as a sniper. He describes Wood's clash with Hannefairy as "sliding", which it absolutely was not by even a liberal definition of the word. Easton is an absolute Saint and was a hero in that finals campaign; he doesn't deserve this crap. I will not be posting the link to the article because that scum doesn't deserve our clicks.

Damien, I know you read this forum you little grub. Know this: I have a mate who is very high up in the Hell's Angels motorcycle club and he would be more than happy to toilet paper your house if I ask him to. It's time to STOP.

Every single photo available shows contact clearly being made above the knee.

1550102078750.png

Play on being the correct call.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Article is below - don't give the man any clicks:

Barrett: Can post-2016 Hanners handle the pressure?
http://www.afl.com.au/news/author/damian-barrett

643583-tlslargelandscape.jpg

Dan Hannebery enjoying himself on St Kilda's team photo day

THERE is Dan Hannebery pre-2016 Grand Final.

And there is Dan Hannebery post-2016 Grand Final.

Same man before and after, yet barely recognisable as a football talent.

As a power runner, prodigious statistic gatherer and constant linebreaker, Hannebery had become a blueprint midfielder.

We weren't to know it at the time, but he lost that status one minute into the final quarter of that year's Grand Final, when Western Bulldog Easton Wood slid into his knee.

Easton Wood and Dan Hannebery collide in the 2016 Grand Final. Picture: AFL Photos
GFSyWB16JW3966DHdb.jpg

Hannebery is about to enter his 11th season, and the money ($800,000-plus times five years) and hope (the Saints' desperation for a big-name recruit) attached to his new contract with St Kilda places him right in the middle of the fullest beam of AFL pressure.

Tom Lynch, Dylan Shiel, Jesse Hogan, Dayne Beams, Steven May, Lachie Neale, Chad Wingard, Jared Polec, and even 2017 transferee Jake Lever are positioned around him in that beam.

The pressure on Hannebery goes down the line, too, to Simon Lethlean, the still-new Saints football operations boss who desperately sought a marquee signing in last year’s trade period, and coach Alan Richardson, who needs a winning season if he is to be given a contract for 2020.

Lethlean aggressively drove the pursuit of Hannebery, so convinced was he of the merits of adding the energetic, outgoing, great-fun-to-be-around, soon-to-turn 28-year-old to the many introverted, unproven and unconfident players on the Saints list.

Yet, despite every Melbourne club, and particularly North Melbourne, showing serious interest in Hannebery from the moment he first came out of contract in 2010, no club outside of St Kilda made a serious pitch last year.

The Roos clearly had moved on, not even subtly enquiring this time round.

As such, the Hannebery transaction for the Saints was heavy in dollar requirements but not draft picks – No.28 heading their way from the Swans along with the player, in exchange for No.39 and a future second-round draft pick.

One of the many concerns for Hannebery and the Saints (as they set about their partnership) is that, simply, the Swans no longer wanted him, just two years after the crushing exit of Tom Mitchell.

This, despite him reaching modern-day all-time great Swan status with three Virgin Australia AFL All Australian blazers (2013, 2015 and 2016), three top-six placings in the Brownlow Medal in the same three seasons, being adjudged the AFL Coaches Association's Player of the Year in 2015, a premiership medal in 2012, the 2010 NAB AFL Rising Star and a contract which ran all the way through to the end of 2021.

Forget the spin about respectfully acknowledging Hannebery's desire to return to the family and friends pull of Melbourne, required players at good clubs with three seasons to run on deals aren't traded out.

Hannebery's social life has always intrigued football people. He has long loved a good time and, like many contemporaries, he has a reputation for pushing the often fluid boundaries in the social-life space.

He has enjoyed reacquainting himself with Melbourne and his old friends since leaving Sydney late last year.

Two setbacks – one before Christmas and another one a fortnight ago – came when he suffered hamstring soreness, a continuation of soft tissue problems since the 2016 Grand Final and ultimately creating even more pressure for him at his new club, where he won't have multi-pronged teammate protection in the midfield.

At St Kilda, it will be he and Jack Steven who will be targeted in opposition teams' midfield plans, with daylight to the next locked-in match-day focus.

Hannebery and Steven share a laugh during a pre-season training session. Picture: Michael Willson, AFL Photos
hanneberysteven2048.JPG

Even with the banged-up footy body that he had in the 2017 and 2018 seasons, Hannebery never stopped trying nor running hard, but his numbers crashed, all the way back to season-one (2009) levels.

He regularly looked sore, was unable to break free of opponents, and found himself kicking and handballing under extreme pressure.

Until that late stage of the 2016 Grand Final when Wood – who against AFL rules was awarded a free kick for the contact and who later, in a display of his renowned class, apologised to Hannebery for the action and damage it caused – made contact, Hannebery's career had not been questioned.

But there have been queries everywhere in the two years since.

In recruiting the post-2016 Grand Final Hannebery and being unable to attract any other big names after a horrendous 2018 season, and in paying their man the pre-2016 GF financial package, St Kilda has heaped upon Hannebery an extraordinary pressure.

A pressure so great that not even the pre-2016 Grand Final Hannebery could be guaranteed to conquer.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Easton Wood was in the pack of four players when Dale Morris suffered a badly broken leg as well a few
years back ! Easton Wood "I must break you" the Ivan Drago of the AFL.

What a pathetic excuse for a journalist, they really scraped the barrel bringing that sickly, pale scrawny nerd to write on sports, as if he would know anything anyway. Why doesn’t he get a job as a gossip columnist for New Idea or Women’s Day, that’s more his style, and let a decent journalist get a gig.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The rule states you can't slide in. Wood never slid, Hannebury ran into him as they both got to the ball at the same time.
The exact wording of the 'forecful contact below the knees' rule (15.4.5.a.ii) is:

15.4.5 A Player makes Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player if the Player:
(a) makes contact or attempts to make contact with any part of their body with an opposition Player in a manner likely to cause injury;
(ii) below the knees.

It's pretty clear to me that the first contact made was to his knee or above it.

Never understood the bleating about this, particularly with the benefit of slow motion replays. It sucks that Hannebery got injured, but by the definition of the law it was never a free kick.

Whoyagot

All Australian
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hate Damo as much as the next person but he doesn’t really go too hard on wood here. Literally says he has great character in ringing to apologise the next day. There’ll be many more, far more obvious, swipes at the bulldogs this year. I wouldn’t worry about this one.

Unfortunately the only way to shut people in the media up is good on-field performance. Really hoping we show a lot of improvement for that reason alone!

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This probably belongs in the media thread but I'm banned from there and this deserves it's own thread anyway.

Carrying on his campaign against anything Bulldogs that has been going on since Bevo made him pee his pants at the Brownlow, this time Barrett has gone too far. To be honest I get a kick out of his constant crapping on our club as its gotten to a point that its just embarrassing for him. But personal attacks on Premiership heroes is where I draw the line. In his recent article he paints Premiership Captain Easton Wood as a sniper. He describes Wood's clash with Hannefairy as "sliding", which it absolutely was not by even a liberal definition of the word. Easton is an absolute Saint and was a hero in that finals campaign; he doesn't deserve this crap. I will not be posting the link to the article because that scum doesn't deserve our clicks.

Damien, I know you read this forum you little grub. Know this: I have a mate who is very high up in the Hell's Angels motorcycle club and he would be more than happy to toilet paper your house if I ask him to. It's time to STOP.

Hang on Scrag - don’t both you and Damo call each other every Wednesday evening to lay the boot into Toyd? How is Damo’s virginity status going?

The rule states you can't slide in. Wood never slid, Hannebury ran into him as they both got to the ball at the same time.
Three pictures clearly showing, once again, contact above the knee.

Play on.

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
C’mon boys it was a free kick every day of the week but for christs sake we deserve a little bit of fortune - Hanners can gagf

Last edited:
Hate Damo as much as the next person but he doesn’t really go too hard on wood here. Literally says he has great character in ringing to apologise the next day. There’ll be many more, far more obvious, swipes at the bulldogs this year. I wouldn’t worry about this one.

Unfortunately the only way to shut people in the media up is good on-field performance. Really hoping we show a lot of improvement for that reason alone!
I also read into it with the way that flogtard has written it, that Woods apology is an admission of guilt in the way contact was made.

He's also made an error in saying that "Wood, against AFL rules, was awarded a free kick", when he wasn't. That was play on, was it not?

He's probably confused himself with McLeans alleged slide.

Pleased to see that Barrett still hasn’t been able to get over us winning a flag. Apart from that this article means nothing to me.

Best of luck to Hannebery for 2019. He might need it.

All these kinds of incidents - the vast majority of all incidents really - take place so lightning fast that accidents happen routinely. It wasn't Woody's fault that the ump didn't award a free - he could have if he'd seen it as any more than a collision. Hannebery's leg got stuck under Wood, unfortunately.

Yeah, but he didn't and the Op does something that until now I considered to be an impossibility, that of losing the high moral ground to Damien Barrett when he refers to Hannerbery as "Hannefairy."

I would've thought that most of the drive-by's (and of course there are plenty) that abound in the article are actually aimed fairly and squarely at Hannebery and St.Kilda and the outrageous contract that a clearly cooked Hannebery managed to bilk out of them in their desperation to land a big fish at any cost, like they were big footy trading amateurs. Something that comes as less of of surprise to the usual invective is that he somehow managed to get a glowing reference into the article about his beloved N0rf.

The sub is clearly having a laugh and may as well have added to the attached image.

"You're joking, after the last two seasons, they're paying me how much for how long...?"

hanneberysteven2048.jpg

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So...

‘St Kilda have paid a heck of a lot for Hannebery - once a good player but struggling to bounce back after a bad injury.’

Four frigging months he’s taken to come up with that article!

Slack Nang

Senior List
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
CDFC
So...

‘St Kilda have paid a heck of a lot for Hannebery - once a good player but struggling to bounce back after a bad injury.’

Four frigging months he’s taken to come up with that article!

Wait....? Are you saying there was no three sentence paragraph and a quote about how he is out to prove the naysayers and detractors wrong

Without that this article is trolling on an industrial scale

I gotta say, kudos AFL

Back