Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Can't see conferences getting a run in the AFL. There's no appetite for more than 22 games (if anything there's a desire for less), and further expansion of teams just brings us closer to everyone playing each other once.

3 conferences of 6 in a 22 round season is a model they might be thinking of, but that is a much harder sell than what the AFLW are playing, especially in comparison to what's already in place.

Pretty sure they are going that way. So that does offset the imbalance between conferences in that the top 2 teams from conference A would still play in the GF.

Yeah it was definitely reported as 1st vs 2nd from opposite conferences for the prelims and there is every chance that by the end of the seven rounds things will have become more balanced. The problem is, as it appears after just two games, when the top two teams aren't in the best 4 teams overall.

Which raises the question, what really is the benefit of the two ladders? Does it just make it seem fairer that teams can't play every other team? Why not just accept this for now and divide the games up as they have done, doing their best to be fair... and then use a single ladder with the top 4 teams at the end of the year playing off, 1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd.

Last edited:
Which raises the question, what really is the benefit of the two ladders? Does it just make it seem fairer that teams can't play every other team? Why not just accept this for now and divide the games up as they have done, doing their best to be fair... and then use a single ladder with the top 4 teams at the end of the year playing off, 1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd.

In hindsight that probably would have made more sense this year, but I doubt anyone foresaw the conferences being this lopsided. The cross-conference games haven’t helped in that regard either.

Still, it should be better next year with more in-conference games and less out of conference games, as well as hopefully more finallists.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
How will the finals work?
The top two teams from each conference will play off in preliminary finals on the opening weekend of the AFL season. The team that finishes first in conference A will take on the second-placed team in conference B, and vice-versa. The winners will meet in the Grand Final.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-07/aflw-2019-all-you-need-to-know-about-system
It does mean the top 2 teams should play in the GF, but it doesn't mean the best 4 play in the semis.

It does mean the top 2 teams should play in the GF, but it doesn't mean the best 4 play in the semis.
That is the case in all competitions that use a conference system, but it does look more lopsided in the AFL-W at the moment.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
Talking about it again on SEN.

They mentioned how in the NFL, the Pats get an armchair ride through a weak conference, although in their case, they have proven themselves to be at least the equal of all other teams.

With only 10 teams, we obviously didn't need to try the conference system, but I'm sure they were looking further ahead: 14 teams next season, potentially getting to 18 teams within a few years, they will use the conference system to avoid the league going for too long. Might be quite a while before we reach a stage where all teams play each other in the one season, hopefully that's the long term goal, you'd think a 17 round season plus 4 weeks of finals will just about perfect.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
They are steadfast in the number of games to be played (and rightfully so - its a new league in development trying to find its place), so if they didn't have a conference system, people would still complain because of the draw and unevenness of it.

Agree with the number of games, the eventual goal should be to play all teams once a season but that could be a decade or more away, there's probably more to lose by moving too fast rather than too slow.

So the conference style of selecting games is unavoidable but the current system of split ladders has introduced the possibility that the top four teams (by wins and %) will not be the 4 teams playing in the finals. I am trying to think under what conditions could the split ladders be fairer than a single ladder? It just seems like the only advantage is the perception of separate conferences because of the limited games.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Agree with the number of games, the eventual goal should be to play all teams once a season but that could be a decade or more away, there's probably more to lose by moving too fast rather than too slow.

So the conference style of selecting games is unavoidable but the current system of split ladders has introduced the possibility that the top four teams (by wins and %) will not be the 4 teams playing in the finals. I am trying to think under what conditions could the split ladders be fairer than a single ladder? It just seems like the only advantage is the perception of separate conferences because of the limited games.
Its an inevitable product of the small number of teams. Cannot think of another league with conferences, but only a total of 10 teams. 2 teams do a bit better than expected in 1 conference, and its suddenly totally lopsided. If they keep conferences, more teams next year will help.

dzussy

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Why is it such a problem for some people that some people don't like AFLW?
This is a general womans football discussion thread and if you don't like it you should be able to say so without being told you are wrong, sexist, etcetera.
These forums are getting ridiculous, if you don't follow the AFL line of thinking then you are taken to task.
anyone who has said anything negative about the AFLW has been taken to task and it is just stupid, each to their own and everyone is entitled to a view.

The simple answer is the blokes can have the sh#t bagged out of them relentlessly from every section without a time limit when they are crap. The women cant handle one critique without a meltdown or dragging out the tokens. They are happy to ride along with the "AFL" tag, but cant handle being taken to task like an AFL player or club. If they did, we wouldn't be having this discussion. They know it, but wont ever admit it. The proof is in the hysteria, no research required.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The simple answer is the blokes can have the sh#t bagged out of them relentlessly from every section without a time limit when they are crap. The women cant handle one critique without a meltdown or dragging out the tokens. They are happy to ride along with the "AFL" tag, but cant handle being taken to task like an AFL player or club. If they did, we wouldn't be having this discussion. They know it, but wont ever admit it. The proof is in the hysteria, no research required.

This is laughable. Lonely Valentine’s Day for you?

Caputo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
https://sanfl.com.au/league/news/2019-womens-coming-going/
SANFLW about to start now 8 teams WWT and Centrals new

From 2018 to 2019 SANFL feeding Victorian Clubs. and GWS
Here are some of the players moving interstate.

Glenelg - Brianna Walling (Queensland),
North Adelaide - Jessica Edwards (Carlton AFLW), Ashleigh Woodland (Melbourne AFLW), Britt Perry (GWS AFLW), Esther Boles (Richmond VFLW) SA Under 18 captain
Norwood - Ebony O’Dea (GWS AFLW), Nicola Burns (Carlton VFLW), Whitney Benson (Western Australia)
South Adelaide - Lisa Whiteley (GWS AFLW), Kristi Harvey (Carlton VFLW), Louella McCarthy (VFL), Jorja Rowe (Williamstown)
Sturt - Becchara Palmer (NSW)
West Adelaide -Taylah Gordon (St Kilda VFLW)

Last edited:

dzussy

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
This is laughable. Lonely Valentine’s Day for you?
My missus doesnt care for it either or give a sh#t about valentines day. I guess she is a sexist too eh?

And thanks for confirming my post, cant take any criticism. Confirmed.

My missus doesnt care for it either or give a sh#t about valentines day. I guess she is a sexist too eh?

And thanks for confirming my post, cant take any criticism. Confirmed.

"My missus doesn't like it" is basically the misogyny equivalent of "I can't be racist, I have (insert race here) friends." :$

dzussy

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
"My missus doesn't like it" is basically the misogyny equivalent of "I can't be racist, I have (insert race here) friends." :$
There ya go, lose an argument and bring out the racist & misogyny stuff. Its almost as predictable as the sun rising each day.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
If they were earning the same as the men and full time professionals then the expectations on skill would be expected.

They arent by a long way yet you expect them to be at the same level.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

There ya go, lose an argument and bring out the racist & misogyny stuff. Its almost as predictable as the sun rising each day.

There's no argument to lose here, just you melting about something you supposedly don't care about. :$

dzussy

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
If they were earning the same as the men then the expectations on skill would be expected.

They arent by a long way yet you expect them to be at the same level.

Then I dont expect it rammed down our throats or having to watch it on Foxtel when I never subscribed to it. But I have to like it, thats what Ive been told. And my wife also has to like it apparently. You must like it.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Then I dont expect it rammed down our throats or having to watch it on Foxtel when I never subscribed to it. But I have to like it, thats what Ive been told. And my wife also has to like it apparently. You must like it.
Then change the channel.

Theres a dozen or so sports channels.

No one says you have to like it.

If you dont then dont watch it. It's simple.

But if you are going to critique it then at least do it fairly, otherwise you are being pathetic.

I don't rate the games of NeAFL the same as I do AFL nor do I rate the AFLW the same or the VFL or SydneyAFL.

Different skill levels, funding, pay structure and professionalism for each.

dzussy

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Then change the channel.

Theres a dozen or so sports channels.

No one says you have to like it.

If you dont then dont watch it. It's simple.

But if you are going to critique it then at least do it fairly, otherwise you are being pathetic.

I don't rate the games of NeAFL the same as I do AFL nor do I rate the AFLW the same or the VFL or SydneyAFL.

Different skill levels, funding, pay structure and professionalism for each.

Hard to not watch it GG when its on the FoxFooty channel. we didnt subscribe to it when we signed up , do you get it?

Give them their own channel for all I care, just get it off. Are we not allowed to have that opinion considering we did actually pay for it?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Hard to not watch it GG when its on the FoxFooty channel. we didnt subscribe to it when we signed up , do you get it?

Give them their own channel for all I care, just get it off. Are we not allowed to have that opinion considering we did actually pay for it?

Wow.

There really are some special people out there...

Back