Discussion COMPLETED eBay Auctions of AFL Guernseys - NO LIVE AUCTIONS

Remove this Banner Ad

Some listings I thought were interesting.
bkBTv6S.jpg
mJl1jkZ.jpg
6NvucDb.jpg
iwKzy1m.jpg
eCje73w.jpg
H4d2IFe.jpg
HXp3sq8.jpg
3SbhjbK.jpg
smoKXnS.jpg
DB3AqK9.jpg

Who tf is Greg strachan lol.
Also, crazy deal on those swans jumpers.

The value of footy jumpers really has plummeted over the last few years – even super rare stuff like barcodes and swooping magpies (at least from a Collingwood perspective) struggle to nudge $100. What gives? Over saturation of the market with all the new variations these days, which makes for poor collectors? Things will only sell for what people are willing to pay

According to Wikipedia:
Greg Strachan (born 5 September 1958) is a former Australian rules football player who played in the Victorian Football League (VFL) between 1978 and 1988 for the Richmond Football Club

He is currently working as an optometrist in his own business in Balwyn Victoria.

The value of footy jumpers really has plummeted over the last few years – even super rare stuff like barcodes and swooping magpies (at least from a Collingwood perspective) struggle to nudge $100. What gives? Over saturation of the market with all the new variations these days, which makes for poor collectors? Things will only sell for what people are willing to pay

It's been similar right across the board with jumpers, from a Cats perspective it's been so easy to buy them direct from the club recently (which is a good thing when I plan on keeping the majority) but it's been difficult to move on a few because there's so many out there.

Just having a scroll through completed auctions now there's plenty of jumpers that I'd have thought would sell for much more. I think there is a bit of oversaturation at the moment with so many jumpers being worn, which means so many are out there to be sold, which has driven prices down (good for the buyer, not so much for the seller). For example:

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 9.48.36 pm.png

I'd have tipped that to go for $150-$200, especially for a cult hero like Cox. Similar story with this one:

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 9.50.00 pm.png

I'd have though a Cyril PI from a premiership year, with a gold logo could fetch $200-$250.

Because there's so many jumpers out there, there are some real nice jumpers going fairly cheap. I'd expect the selling of jumpers to ease, which will drive the prices back up. Eventually though, at the moment it could be a while until prices rise again. An interesting study would be to analyse when jumpers tend to sell and how much they sell for, but I wouldn't know where to start

Also, crazy deal on those swans jumpers.

Strachan played for the Tigers between 78-88 I guess he was playing in some charity game? RMJ Home Loans seem not to exist anymore. Well the Pies stuff might have gone down buy Eagles jumpers are doing a roaring trade. How much was your barcode?

Strachan played for the Tigers between 78-88 I guess he was playing in some charity game? RMJ Home Loans seem not to exist anymore. Well the Pies stuff might have gone down buy Eagles jumpers are doing a roaring trade. How much was your barcode?

Eagles is the exception.

I sold my barcode on eBay this time last year for $44. It ripped my heart out

I think some clubs just don't have much stuff that makes it into the wild. It always seems to be the same handful of clubs who's gear is all over eBay, and then others, there's nothing. The old eagles stuff is bloody hard to find, and since the team store stopped auctioning off player issues after 2013, the newer stuff is also hard to get. It's just supply and demand really

This isn't even a genuine Puma guernsey but a fake.

I thought these were retails? Or is this a fake of the retail?

Note the absence of the Puma logo under the collar (instead it has 1987-2006). A particular eBay seller had heaps of these fake jumpers 7 or 8 years ago, and there was a bit of discussion about them at the time. There are likely a few other subtle differences between the legit Puma jumpers and the fakes, which I'm sure FXD_ has much better knowledge of.

The Puma ones were made for a special framed piece, although a few Eagles collectors managed to score some unframed.

Yeah, as Haydos_WCE said, the big giveaway is the lack of Puma under the collar, and also the G in EAGLES is dodgy and the font for the names is different to the genuine one. Genuine image sourced from cammania's post here.

8BhYJC8.jpg

DSC00418.jpg

There were two framed pieces for Team 20, the team of players, and a signed captains and coaches piece. (images sourced from Gumtree)

OWUAnlJ.jpg

kojj6xU.jpg

According to the 2006 team store catalogue I have, there was a retail guernsey available which did not have any names printed on it. Also the concept for the captain/coaches piece is way different to the final product.

399899_orig.jpg

DSC00423.jpg

A few of the team printed guernseys did make it out, complete with Puma size tags and red 'Made in Australia' tag, both of which are missing on the framed piece. I would imagine the framed ones didn't have the tags stitched in during manufacture, so it's interesting Puma made some with the tags stitched in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those prices for those two VFL Eagles guernseys are crazy considering the Eagles logo has peeled off on both of them.

Price for that Ochre is insane too. $500 is player issue prices.

I’ve also got a size L BNWT Ochre and it doesn’t have Troy Wilson’s scrawl across it - wonder how much it’s worth? Unless...it went for so high because it’s got Troy Wilson’s scrawl across it. :think:

Those prices for those two VFL Eagles guernseys are crazy considering the Eagles logo has peeled off on both of them.

I’ve also got a size L BNWT Ochre and it doesn’t have Troy Wilson’s scrawl across it - wonder how much it’s worth? Unless...it went for so high because it’s got Troy Wilson’s scrawl across it. :think:

For a jumper that rare and desirable and of that quality (BNWT - if the buyer is game they could wear it), and with no disrespect to Troy Wilson, I think it'd be better to scrub it off.

A jumper like that (along with plenty of others) is probably better clean

What are the going rates for Ochre jumpers?

Haha unfortunately not Haydos_WCE Gibbsy I thought I had a bargain of a lifetime for $10 but she actually posted that in Bidding Wars Bunbury and no one bid above $50, until an hour before the end someone bid $150 so I picked it up for $200.

There has been some odd listings lately, a heap of WCE PUMA player issues in Medium with #25 on the back, and some with SGI logos.

Weirdest one was that gold indigenous PI with the SGI logo.

I thought Puma used #12 for their samples / prototypes?

There's a strange Brad Crouch guernsey currently listed from last year. Sublimated number but no GPS pocket and looks like a retail cut not a player cut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back