News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Worth considering that when Harry Curtis ended his time as President after 26 years and six Premierships it was under very bitter and acrimonious circumstances. These things can turn quickly no matter how beloved the person is.

As recently as around eight months ago many folks were openly questioning whether Ed was past his used-by date - there’d been a gradual slide down the ladder, poor performance by all our teams, and a few public gaffes. Ed is fortunate that the review has been successful (so far) because if our fortunes hadn’t changed then it wouldn’t just be Nathan Buckley who would have been turfed out on his ear.
There’s always that quick drop away for people.
When the tide comes, it takes no prisoners...
True.

Ed is a seasoned (football) politician and he just has to ensure he sidesteps real dumbness on his part, to give the Curtis record a big whack, and then some.

Ed is a seasoned (football) politician ...

He is. And like all politicians, it’s a folly to show them any kind of blind loyalty. They’re there to do a job, and when somebody comes along who can do the job better then it’s time for them to move on.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
He is. And like all politicians, it’s a folly to show them any kind of blind loyalty. They’re there to do a job, and when somebody comes along who can do the job better then it’s time for them to move on.
Yes that’s a fair assessment overall.

The members determine these matters.

As you may recall, my own take is its healthier for a football club to not be beholden to one person forever so to speak. The club just be bigger and able to be successful with succession ongoing.

Though I can’t fault the incumbent’s work ethic, enthusiasm, care and talents he brings to the roll.

The good news is we seem now to have viable alternatives, if required.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
"They've got training at the moment (Friday morning) so I'm assuming he gets through that fine and he'll be right to play," Pendlebury told AFL.com.au.
"I think he'll be fine. Even last year when he missed games late in the year with shin soreness … he had three weeks off there and then came back in and we all know how he finished the year.

"Even though it would be good having a game under his belt, coming out here in front of 80,000 will be enough to get him going."

De Goey had to be helped from the training track after landing awkwardly in a marking contest in match simulation one month ago.

De Goey, who turns 23 on Friday, made his return to training with a series of light run throughs on February 28 and has been steadily increasing his training load since.

Pendlebury also said Jaidyn Stephenson (groin) would be right to take his place in the side after being managed in the Pies' last pre-season clash against the Blues in Morwell.

The 2018 NAB Rising Star winner was one of the Magpies' standouts through the pre-season, with his ability to put together repeat efforts a definitive improvement on his debut season.

"He's right to go. With Jaidyn he's done pretty much every single session and played almost every game since he's come into the side," Pendlebury said.

"Everyone forgets that he's only 20 so he'll be right for round one."

With places in Collingwood's midfield at a premium following the acquisition of Dayne Beams, inside ball-winner Brayden Sier has a bit of work to do to break into the team.

Sier, who featured in the Magpies' Grand Final team, played in last week's VFL practice match instead of being picked to take on the Blues.

"With Brayden it's similar to what happened last year, we've got a really deep midfield and with him he's still a chance for round one," Pendlebury said.

"He doesn't have a niggle so he's got to keep working, find out his best footy and how he can help the team and go from there."

Pendlebury also said a debut for top draftee Isaac Quaynor, pick No.13 overall, isn't far away after an impressive summer campaign.

"He's come in and grabbed hold of what we want to do really quickly and he understands how we want to play," Pendlebury said.

"He's got to make sure he stays ready in the VFL and when the opportunity comes he's got to be ready to grab it and he will be. He's had a faultless summer, he's really dedicated to his craft and he's continuing to learn.

"Whether he plays round one or round six whenever it is, he'll keep getting better as his career progresses."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-15/de-goey-will-be-right-for-season-opener-pendles

Interesting about Sier. Basically saying he is a chance, but not guaranteed and might have to work his way into the team.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-16/frustrated-confused-defender-happy-he-stayed-a-magpie

"Switching from playing in a Grand Final to having to automatically focus on where you were going to play the next year was a bit frustrating and confusing," Langdon told AFL.com.au.

"I'm not sure Edward enjoyed the first two weeks of our holiday because all I talked about was football. It was a stressful time."

Langdon eventually recommitted to Collingwood for another three years, calling his manager with the news from a cramped café at Nairobi International Airport in Kenya, shortly before they flew out of phone range to Tanzania.

"There were a lot of reasons to stay – I'm from Melbourne, I love Melbourne; I've been at Collingwood my whole playing career, I love the place and the people, and I love playing there. It also helped that we had a pretty good season," Langdon said.
"I'm stoked I stayed. I can't imagine myself not being at Collingwood."

Langdon believes Moore, who appears to have arrested his hamstring issues, has "no ceiling" and "could be anything" as a key backman.

The 203cm Moore and 200cm ex-Bulldog Jordan Roughead loom as significant additions to the Magpies' defensive stocks.

"It's great having them around because they can take good key forwards and they give us a lot of aerial support. It's definitely a different dynamic to last season where we were undersized due to injuries," Langdon said.
"Having those two big guys back there will give Howey and me more opportunity to play to our strengths – read the play, zone off and intercept the ball – and we'll be able to help them out as well," said Langdon, who is recovering from concussion but has declared he will be fit to play Geelong in round one.

"Teams often play three talls so me and Howey will probably chop and change a bit (as third talls)."

That's a comforting prospect for Pies fans. Despite his more accountable role on bigger opponents last year, Langdon still managed to take the most intercept marks in the finals.

He rated his 2018 season as merely "OK" overall but was pleased with how he finished it off.

"I was relatively proud of my efforts to perform when it mattered most – and most of my teammates could say the same thing (about themselves)," he said.

"It was a good confidence-booster knowing that I can hold up on the biggest stage when the footy is at its hottest. Hopefully it holds me in good stead and I can continue that on and have a strong 2019."

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Excellent article. It always puts to bed (no pun intended) those silly rumours that Tom and Moore were in a relationship. They are clearly just good mates.

Also interesting to note that while he's perceived to be casual he's busting a gut.

So glad he stayed.

Excellent article. It always puts to bed (no pun intended) those silly rumours that Tom and Moore were in a relationship. They are clearly just good mates.

Also interesting to note that while he's perceived to be casual he's busting a gut.

So glad he stayed.

Well most Rumors on Social Media and Forums are Almost All BS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It always puts to bed (no pun intended) those silly rumours that Tom and Moore were in a relationship. They are clearly just good mates.

Even if they were, would that be an issue? And it is none of our business.

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
People will always gossip and speculate on things that's none of their business.

Press conference videos.
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2019-03-18/press-conference-jeremy-howe
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2019-03-18/press-conference-steele-sidebottom

The 28-year-old said he had completed a solid workload and believed his brief appearance in the second half of the Pies' final JLT Community Series game against Carlton at Morwell was all he needed to be ready for the Cats.

"I'm right to go," Howe told AFL.com.au on Monday.

"I had a good block (of training) for probably a fortnight leading in. But I'm on top of all the injuries now. The thigh's all good.

"I had a bit of a run around (against Carlton) and got the rust out. I had a good session (last) Friday and I'll go again on Wednesday and be cherry ripe for Friday.

"Ideally you'd play both JLT games, but I don't feel that it's absolutely necessary to do that to prepare myself for round one. I'm going into the game knowing that I've done a body of work that will hold me in good stead."

Howe also drew confidence from his effort to play in the Pies' season-opener last year on limited preparation after overcoming an eight-week calf injury.

His latest thigh issue, which flared after copping some friendly fire from fellow defender Darcy Moore at training, required two operations in just 10 days – the first to seal a damaged artery that hadn't healed since he suffered the original injury last July, while the second procedure was to again drain blood from the area.

Howe described the setback as "a blessing in disguise" because in the process the artery problem was found and fixed.

"If I copped another knock in the finals last year or sometime this season, I would've been out again, so getting hit in pre-season was probably the best thing for it because I could get it right for the start of the season."

Another positive for Howe has been an injury-free Moore and former Bulldogs big man Jordan Roughead holding down the key defensive posts. It means he and Tom Langdon won't necessarily be required to play on taller opponents, as they were in the latter half of last season.

"It probably allows myself and 'Langers' to play more of our natural role, instead of playing big. But there are times when we'll still have to play big. You need flexibility and I believe we have that," he said.

"We got stretched a bit in all three games against (premier) West Coast because they had (Josh) Kennedy, (Jack) Darling and (resting ruckmen Nathan) Vardy or (Scott) Lycett as well. Hopefully we've got the personnel to cover that now."

That pre-season jaunt at Morwell had also been important for Howe to play in the same backline as Roughead and Moore for the first time.

"I'll be better for the run," he said.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2019-03-18/cherry-ripe-howe

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...

So glad he stayed.

There were rumours that Darcy and Tom were in a sexual relationship? Technically speaking, two friends are also engaging in a relationship but there's no horizontal stuff...

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

So glad he stayed.

Who cares if they are?

I'd be extremely surprised if there aren't gay couples in the AFL.

Back