In the wings members

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
The ticket purchase involved you & the ticket seller nothing to do with a club? yes/no. nothing to do with being an ITW member?
The ITW members got first access to the public reserve but had to buy them at the start of the season for any game they wanted. You could get to 10 of the home games (derbies were excluded) but paid about 10-15% more than the equivalent season membership

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
How come no 60k crowd @Optus then?
Simple, because there are always people who don't turn up.

Stadiums almost never have every single seat filled.

Even the Grand Final had 2 no-shows this year, crowd was 100,022 and the capacity of the MCG is 100,024.

I've been told the capacity of Optus is exactly 60,000 for AFL matches (which I don't believe, I seriously doubt they managed to hit 60,000 on the dot), which legally means you'll never see a 60,000 crowd for footy unless there is a 100% turnout rate, which is pretty unheard of.

Simple, because there are always people who don't turn up.

Stadiums almost never have every single seat filled.

Even the Grand Final had 2 no-shows this year, crowd was 100,022 and the capacity of the MCG is 100,024.

I've been told the capacity of Optus is exactly 60,000 for AFL matches (which I don't believe, I seriously doubt they managed to hit 60,000 on the dot), which legally means you'll never see a 60,000 crowd for footy unless there is a 100% turnout rate, which is pretty unheard of.

The two finals were about 59,600, so theoretically 400 empty seats or less than 1% of the stadium.

West Coast averaged more than 54,000 at Optus last year, which is 90% full.

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
pretty much ... i bet 75% of members miss one or 2 games a year for a variety of reasons and not enough of them use the resale option.
Yep, people get sick, car breaks down, have weddings, funerals, holidays etc - there is never 100% turnout.

Finals get closer since you are buying for just 1 game - but people still get sick, Scalpers don't sell all their tickets etc.

Even with the GF (mentioned above) 100,022 is a record - it doesn't normally that get many. I did a MCG tour a couple of days before the GF and they mentioned they would open up MCC area to silver members since they didn't expect as many people - kinda of ironic in the end with the crowd.

Optus holds a few 100 over 60,000 - so although possible, it's pretty unlikely we'd see it.

Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Tickets are also given to current players, life members, administrators, media, corporate,etc - a lot of these might skip when something comes up and they'll never be available on the open market. People getting free tickets are more likely to not show up compared to people buying a ticket the week of the event (e.g. a final)

We could just start counting tickets sold as 'attendance' like they do in US sports. Then we'd always get around 60,000. Sure, it becomes a more meaningless figure and ignores the actual definition of the word attendance, but if it's good enough for the Yanks it's good enough for us.

I went to a college football game with a published 'attendence' of over 100,000 that probably had between 60 and 65 thousand there.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
We could just start counting tickets sold as 'attendance' like they do in US sports. Then we'd always get around 60,000. Sure, it becomes a more meaningless figure and ignores the actual definition of the word attendance, but if it's good enough for the Yanks it's good enough for us.

I went to a college football game with a published 'attendence' of over 100,000 that probably had between 60 and 65 thousand there.

As an Arsenal fan I’ve been watching us publish crowds of 59,500 for the last 2 seasons even though the stadium is half empty

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Royals

Cancelled
Jan 7, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth

I went to a college football game with a published 'attendance' of over 100,000 that probably had between 60 and 65 thousand there.

well if they are doing it in the US and UK , you can bet we will start doing it here sooner or later,
same rort as counting PET memberships in your totals for Club memberships

driver111

Rookie
May 3, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Spoke too soon, just received an email:

"We would like to confirm that the upgrade process for In The Wings members will commence next week.

The club will communicate with eligible members throughout the upgrade process, and In The Wings offers will commence with those with the lowest waitlist number, and will continue until all available memberships are exhausted.

Please keep an eye on your emails in the coming weeks for further information regarding possible upgrade offers."

Thought you had a choice, my membership is a 5 gamer and I was offered it straight up.
Have you rang the Club bruvs?

Yeah, i chose a 3 gamer last year due to work commitments. Nowadays i could totally do a 5.

Hopefully they throw me a bone and i'm not stuck with 3 until the end of time.

StevieJ83

Senior List
Apr 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1 Team
I do think the club could do a little bit more for Wings members over a certain wait time...

I don't think the club could really do much more. The only thing I would like to see is that a percentage of your annual ITW membership is refunded against your first seated membership. Outside of the membership package and the yearly admin, probably 50% of the fees is free money for the club. I 100% get why paying to be on the list is important, it shows you are committed to the process, and if they didn't charge a yearly fee, the wait list would be 500,000 long with people having no intention of taking up a seat. But there does seem to be a disconnect between the fee and value for money.

PerthblueGold

Debutant
Sep 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
they could surely `gift` at certain games some seats that otherwise would be empty? or something..it`s just nice to feel valued..I know WCE are a big strong organisation..but just as in life you are only as strong as your weakest link.

they could surely `gift` at certain games some seats that otherwise would be empty? or something..it`s just nice to feel valued..I know WCE are a big strong organisation..but just as in life you are only as strong as your weakest link.

Where are these seats that would otherwise be empty? The vast majority of empty seats each week are members that haven’t shown up for any number of reasons, and haven’t put their seats up for resale. The club has no way of knowing who won’t turn up until the game’s already well underway.

Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
We didn't grow into the financial powerhouse we are by offering handouts!

Now can I interest you in a $150 raffle ticket?

StevieJ83

Senior List
Apr 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1 Team
Also how would you police it? There is nearly as many in the wings as there are seated members. There is never going to be a perfect system while the members resale is cents on the dollar of the ticket value.

Back