Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
If anyone here feels like doing a culture there's this MC Escher exhibition at the NGV, and it's really good. I thought it would be the usual optical illusions & geometric *ery he did that you see in textbooks all your primary/secondary school life, but what was super impressive was his early work, lots of woodcuttings & drawings inspired by cubism, art deco, art nouveau & other arty movements I'm not sure I'm naming correctly... the whole thing dope as *, and the modern interpretations (ie: animations and sculptures and things by studio Nendo) was nice too. And the air conditioning was great.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
If anyone here feels like doing a culture there's this MC Escher exhibition at the NGV, and it's really good. I thought it would be the usual optical illusions & geometric ******y he did that you see in textbooks all your primary/secondary school life, but what was super impressive was his early work, lots of woodcuttings & drawings inspired by cubism, art deco, art nouveau & other arty movements I'm not sure I'm naming correctly... the whole thing dope as ****, and the modern interpretations (ie: animations and sculptures and things by studio Nendo) was nice too. And the air conditioning was great.
+ 1. I thought it was great and full of stuff I wasn’t anticipating. I went with a ******* who was rushing through to go get lunch so I’m going again tomorrow

Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
+ 1. I thought it was great and full of stuff I wasn’t anticipating. I went with a ******* who was rushing through to go get lunch so I’m going again tomorrow
My partner's an arts teacher and she burns through galleries at a ridiculous pace, so I reckon I might visit it again... plus I was distracted through some of it by this couple on an incredibly odd Tinder date, there was a hipster-ish guy that acted like Paul from Midnight in Paris and his date was a complete simpleton that literally didn't understand a word he said. Awesome viewing.

Hohberghorn

Draftee
Feb 13, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
If anyone here feels like doing a culture there's this MC Escher exhibition at the NGV, and it's really good. I thought it would be the usual optical illusions & geometric ******y he did that you see in textbooks all your primary/secondary school life, but what was super impressive was his early work, lots of woodcuttings & drawings inspired by cubism, art deco, art nouveau & other arty movements I'm not sure I'm naming correctly... the whole thing dope as ****, and the modern interpretations (ie: animations and sculptures and things by studio Nendo) was nice too. And the air conditioning was great.
Apologies as I know this is a Melbourne section of the forum, but I just want to say that I completely agree with this post. When I went to the exhibition I was expecting to see a lot of Escher's well known pieces of work, which I did, and which I thoroughly enjoyed. But it was his earlier creations that I felt I connected with the most, even though I didn't know as much about them beforehand. His black and white work is iconic but some of those earlier pieces with colour added another dimension in my opinion.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Okay folks. It’s Friday so obviously I’m a bit sozzled and nostalgic.

I’m thinking about popular music but specifically albums. Not just favourite songs, but whole albums put together in a way that works for you and tells a story, or has something that is the musical equivalent of a story arc.

I have no expertise in this area, but I’m expecting some good recommendations from Toump Ass.

I’m not a snob though. I don’t sneer at an album just because it had pop success. A few that stand out for me are:

Paul Simons - Graceland. This guy went and captured African sounds in a totally unpatronising manner. Literally years before Live Aid or Sting made it a big deal. Also this is a great artist who reinvented his sound for three decades - and has no more struggle in the 80’s then in any other time.

Beatles - Abbey Road. Just a classic. The whole arc from song to song elevates it from great songs to an amazing storyline.

Pet Sounds - exceptional. Doesn’t even contain the majority of the Beachboys top loved hits, but more nails the overarching album thing.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pink Floyd - The Wall (obvious, I know)
Tom Waits - The Heart of Saturday Night
Radiohead - OK Computer
Tool - Aenema
Ludovico Einaudi - In A Time Lapse
The Strokes - Is This It
Nirvana - Nevermind
Frightened Rabbit - Midnight Organ Fight
The National - Trouble Will Find Me
The Killers - Sam's Town

First couple are narrative type albums, but the entries after are more the album meshing as a whole rather than a collection of songs. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but eh.

I’m thinking about popular music but specifically albums. Not just favourite songs, but whole albums put together in a way that works for you and tells a story, or has something that is the musical equivalent of a story arc.

I have no expertise in this area, but I’m expecting some good recommendations from Toump Ass.

I’m not a snob though. I don’t sneer at an album just because it had pop success. A few that stand out for me are:

Paul Simons - Graceland. This guy went and captured African sounds in a totally unpatronising manner. Literally years before Live Aid or Sting made it a big deal. Also this is a great artist who reinvented his sound for three decades - and has no more struggle in the 80’s then in any other time.

Beatles - Abbey Road. Just a classic. The whole arc from song to song elevates it from great songs to an amazing storyline.

Pet Sounds - exceptional. Doesn’t even contain the majority of the Beachboys top loved hits, but more nails the overarching album thing.
Dizzy up the girl by Goo Goo Dolls and Yourself or Someone Like You by Matchbox 20 are two greats from the 90s

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
On a barely related note, this reminds me of my old iPod nano. Way back 15 odd years ago, the iPods had the album shuffle option. Why did they get rid of that? It was awesome. Pick a playlist of your favourite albums (like you could do with this thread), then hit shuffle and listen to random albums in full.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
On a barely related note, this reminds me of my old iPod nano. Way back 15 odd years ago, the iPods had the album shuffle option. Why did they get rid of that? It was awesome. Pick a playlist of your favourite albums (like you could do with this thread), then hit shuffle and listen to random albums in full.
I’ve still got an operating iPod with the album shuffle. But like most it’s now dust covered and I use my phone for music.

I wonder why album shuffle disappeared? Maybe gen Y are too impatient for a mystery mix which could roll for the best part of a day.

DeesFanTheMan

Team Captain
Feb 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs, NUFC

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Pink Floyd - The Wall (obvious, I know)
Tom Waits - The Heart of Saturday Night
Radiohead - OK Computer
Tool - Aenema
Ludovico Einaudi - In A Time Lapse
The Strokes - Is This It
Nirvana - Nevermind
Frightened Rabbit - Midnight Organ Fight
The National - Trouble Will Find Me
The Killers - Sam's Town

First couple are narrative type albums, but the entries after are more the album meshing as a whole rather than a collection of songs. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but eh.
No - meshing as a whole is pretty much what I meant. By narrative I wasn’t really thinking of a literal story an a sequence of songs. Actually I was a bit drunk so who knows what I was actually thinking.

I like albums. When I was younger and would buy cds by various classic artists, I had a tendency to purchase “greatest his” type stuff because I would know all the songs listed on the cover because they are all chart hits, not b sides. Took me way too long to discover that you miss a lot that way, plus you never really get to hear the longer creative concept as envisaged.

Demonkings

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

The whole album is thematically connected, there are musical themes and motifs that repeat throughout the album and the tracks run into each other, so sometimes 3 or 4 tracks sound like one long epic song. All the while the standard of the music maintained is epically high. The best music on Earth comes from the dark side of the moon.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

The whole album is thematically connected, there are musical themes and motifs that repeat throughout the album and the tracks run into each other, so sometimes 3 or 4 tracks sound like one long epic song. All the while the standard of the music maintained is epically high. The best music on Earth comes from the dark side of the moon.
Yeah that’s one of my all time favourites. I didn’t list it the first time round because it almost seemed too obvious as an example of a harmonious and connected album that is about the whole.

I’m trying to think of ‘albums’ where zero thought has been given to sequence or arch or whatever. Probably those 80s pop no-artist types with a 12yo market. I had a friend who used to get drunk or stoned or both and then lol about giggling at pop cds bought specially for the purpose. Rick Astley / Bananarama and so forth. Those things were a random dartboard of terrible.

Demonkings

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah that’s one of my all time favourites. I didn’t list it the first time round because it almost seemed too obvious as an example of a harmonious and connected album that is about the whole.

I’m trying to think of ‘albums’ where zero thought has been given to sequence or arch or whatever. Probably those 80s pop no-artist types with a 12yo market. I had a friend who used to get drunk or stoned or both and then lol about giggling at pop cds bought specially for the purpose. Rick Astley / Bananarama and so forth. Those things were a random dartboard of terrible.
Fair enough, it is pretty much the gold standard template for “concept” albums. On that one in a million chance you had never heard the album before, I didn’t want to undersell it.

A good opposite sort of album to Dark Side would be Led Zeppelin IV. I can’t figure any connection between tracks whatsoever, unless there is some logical connection I can’t figure out between Middle Earth, the Mississippi Delta, black dogs, consumerism and the occult.

DeesFanTheMan

Team Captain
Feb 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs, NUFC
Fair enough, it is pretty much the gold standard template for “concept” albums. On that one in a million chance you had never heard the album before, I didn’t want to undersell it.

A good opposite sort of album to Dark Side would be Led Zeppelin IV. I can’t figure any connection between tracks whatsoever, unless there is some logical connection I can’t figure out between Middle Earth, the Mississippi Delta, black dogs, consumerism and the occult.
Dream Theatre's Metropilis part 2 is very good and in this vein.

Just to be different if you are after themes, connectivity, sequencing etc, then maybe you should try The Seventh Sojourn by the Moody Blues, or maybe Demons and Wizards by Uriah Heep, but then again Aqualung and Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull will leave you saying how did I ever not know about these.

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

Look into progressive bands for album themes & moods. Two bands that are personal favourites are Porcupine Tree & Tool.

Paul Simons - Graceland. This guy went and captured African sounds in a totally unpatronising manner. Literally years before Live Aid or Sting made it a big deal. Also this is a great artist who reinvented his sound for three decades - and has no more struggle in the 80’s then in any other time./QUOTE]
I have loved this album for years. Have you seen the documentary? Simon breached the economic sanctions against South Africa to travel there and record it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden.

Super interesting back-story to the album. Some parts sound like Radiohead or Mogwai, years before anyone coined the term "post-rock". Nice read at the wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_of_Eden

Dope album. "Laughing Stock" and "The Colour of Spring" are both awesome as well.

edit: a few more
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On & Here, My Dear
PJ Harvey - Let England Shake, The Hope Six Demolition Project
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away is probably my favourite album of the last few years.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden.

Super interesting back-story to the album. Some parts sound like Radiohead or Mogwai, years before anyone coined the term "post-rock". Nice read at the wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_of_Eden

Dope album. "Laughing Stock" and "The Colour of Spring" are both awesome as well.

edit: a few more
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On & Here, My Dear
PJ Harvey - Let England Shake, The Hope Six Demolition Project
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away is probably my favourite album of the last few years.
Push the Sky Away is a fantastic album.

It’s also the only one of yours that I know (but that doesn’t greatly surprise me because I’m a massive dag and am totally not with it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back