Prediction The son of Chris Johnson

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
if he doesn’t choose Essendon given he’s in their NGA.
How is there still nothing being said about these NGA's? Boggles the mind that a player can be the son of an AFL player yet be eligible for an academy pathway which puts in literally no development time or money towards their players?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
How is there still nothing being said about these NGA's? Boggles the mind that a player can be the son of an AFL player yet be eligible for an academy pathway which puts in literally no development time or money towards their players?
Because it benefits the Melbourne clubs.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We can have father sons from other clubs in our academy. What’s the difference?

Blakey’s dad didn’t play for Sydney

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I assumed father/son overrides zones
Nope; it’s the players choice e.g. John Blakey’s son choosing the Swans Academy over Dad’s F/S (North or Brisbane) and conversely Robert Scott’s son choosing North as a F/S when he could have chosen Geelong as a F/S or Gold Coast due to being in their Academy.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers

Actually developing the players and investing time and money for a start. Not sure of the merit of father sons in the academies but it's not like these clubs are actually doing anything for the players, TAC cup does it all for them. Father son is a ridiculous rule anyway.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

The difference is, whether the AFL wants to admit it or not, we remain and outpost. And the idea of a former premiership hero’s son playing for the club just may spark some interest in those fans from the glory days.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The difference is, whether the AFL wants to admit it or not, we remain and outpost. And the idea of a former premiership hero’s son playing for the club just may spark some interest in those fans from the glory days.

I don’t like the idea of a second set of rules for Queensland teams. Sure allow us to have comparable off field facilities and coaching and support staff but especially with the club seemingly on the right track i don’t want any success tainted by handouts.

I don’t like the idea of a second set of rules for Queensland teams. Sure allow us to have comparable off field facilities and coaching and support staff but especially with the club seemingly on the right track i don’t want any success tainted by handouts.
Our final handout was in the form of Fagan and Noble and a second round priority pick!

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Same rule should apply to all no argument there. The issue is there is no way in hell Chris Johnson’s son should be in an academy designed to promote access to kids who otherwise wouldn’t access AFL footy.

Same goes for Blakey at the Swans.

The NGA academies were explained as servicing underrepresented parts of the AFL community. The northern academies weren't, instead focusing on increasing junior participation in part by providing a means to stay at their local club like the NRL offers. Blakey worked perfectly - other kids can look at a Sydneysider getting to stay in Sydney.

Back