Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

All this angst about the Kangaroos being a superteam, I know it's frustrating for us and sucks for all the teams that didn't get compensated for the players they lost, but it's not like North have done anything wrong. They want to win the flag, and they haven't broken the rules in going about that. If you've got pitchforks at the ready, march on AFL House I say.

Totally agree North have done wrong at all*. All the frustration must be focussed at the AFL. This conference system is wrong. We could finish 3rd in Conference A with more wins than team first in Conference B.

*Unless they have claimed to pioneer the AFLW.

Nail
Why are you here?
It’s my board, which really accentuates why you are here. Don’t see you here often (make that ever).
You weren’t here last August when we knocked you out of the finals.

Good luck in the real stuff with your “big fish” Polec. Ha ha

Totally agree North have done wrong at all*. All the frustration must be focussed at the AFL. This conference system is wrong. We could finish 3rd in Conference A with more wins than team first in Conference B.

*Unless they have claimed to pioneer the AFLW.

North *fans* have been rightly pointing out that they've done work with women's football prior to the AFLW.

Some North fans have been trolling Dogs fans just like Dogs fans have been trolling North fans, and I'm sure that's super fun for all involved but I'm pretty sick of reading it in every thread.

The conference situation is a disaster and the sooner they play a full season the better. It solves at least half of the huge gripes I have with the AFLW as it stands.

For anyone interested here is the career experience for both teams after the completing of tonight's game.

North Melbourne
Career Games: 246
Career Goals: 71

Western Bulldogs
Career Games: 275
Career Goals: 55

For some reference Collingwood last week were...

Collingwood (R2)
Career Games: 157
Career Goals: 18

Last edited:
Nail

You weren’t here last August when we knocked you out of the finals.

Good luck in the real stuff with your “big fish” Polec. Ha ha

Yeah maybe Norf should poach 15 players from the other AFL teams, hey you might even win a flag doing that.

North *fans* have been rightly pointing out that they've done work with women's football prior to the AFLW.

Some North fans have been trolling Dogs fans just like Dogs fans have been trolling North fans, and I'm sure that's super fun for all involved but I'm pretty sick of reading it in every thread.

The conference situation is a disaster and the sooner they play a full season the better. It solves at least half of the huge gripes I have with the AFLW as it stands.
I think this goes beyond AFLW.

North *fans* have been rightly pointing out that they've done work with women's football prior the AFLW.

I did notice a couple of people correctly pointing out MUFC developing players, but to say North has done anything close to what Melbourne and the Dogs have done is laughable.

As for the conference system, nothing less than a full season is acceptable. Everyone wants this players, clubs, media. I honestly thought the public backlash after this idea was floated would've been enough but the AFL got their way.

Last edited:
I did notice a couple of people correctly pointing out MUFC developing players, but to say North has done anything close to what Melbourne and the Dogs have done is laughable.

As for conference system, nothing less than a full season is acceptable. Everyone wants this players, clubs, media. I honestly thought the public backlash after this idea was floated would've been enough but the AFL got their way.

If there's one thing the AFL are really, really good at doing, it's not listening.

Then can we just quarantine it all in a designated generalised Troll North (or Norf, if we must) thread and leave some room for talking footy in this one?

But, but it’s Norf, we gotta have some fun :$:think::p

But, but it’s Norf, we gotta have some fun :$:think::p
Yeah and I'm saying it's really not that fun when there are two AFLW threads on this entire board and they're both completely dominated by North Melbourne Discourse, at least two-thirds of which is straight-up trolling. Who's that fun for other than the half-dozen people involved?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for conference system, nothing less than a full season is acceptable. Everyone wants this players, clubs, media. I honestly thought the public backlash after this idea was floated would've been enough but the AFL got their way.

I agree with you but we all know that the AFL never listen to the public, or even the clubs, and instead just go ahead with their own silly ideas.

No one - fans, clubs, coaches - give a rats ass about AFLX and all think it’s a ridiculous concept but they’re still going ahead with it.

Rule changes? No one liked the sliding /contact below the knees rule, hands in the back, 3rd man up being banned, the new rule changes for this year but they again didn’t care.

I actually don’t mind Gil McLachlan as a bloke but not some of the things he’s initiated during his tenure.

I agree with you but we all know that the AFL never listen to the public, or even the clubs, and instead just go ahead with their own silly ideas.

No one - fans, clubs, coaches - give a rats ass about AFLX and all think it’s a ridiculous concept but they’re still going ahead with it.

Rule changes? No one liked the sliding /contact below the knees rule, hands in the back, 3rd man up being banned, the new rule changes for this year but they again didn’t care.

I actually don’t mind Gil McLachlan as a bloke but not some of the things he’s initiated during his tenure.

Yep for some reason I thought that when they realised they have a gold mine with AFLW they would do the right thing, how wrong I was.

Still let's see how they handle the 4 new teams coming in next year. We've got a premiership already i'm happy.

Yeah and I'm saying it's really not that fun when there are two AFLW threads on this entire board and they're both completely dominated by North Melbourne Discourse, at least two-thirds of which is straight-up trolling. Who's that fun for other than the half-dozen people involved?

Hey we are the Premiers, and just lost to a team made up of 15 poached players. What I love about footy is the passion, if it’s all dry footy talk, maybe soccer is a better sport for me then.

Hey we are the Premiers, and just lost to a team made up of 15 poached players. What I love about footy is the passion, if it’s all dry footy talk, maybe soccer is a better sport for me then.
Well I'm glad you've had a good time s**t-talking North, I've had a s**t night because my footy team lost and when I've come online to discuss the game and commiserate with other Dogs fans I've had to wade through all the same bickering I've seen a hundred times before and it really comes across like people are more interested in being "passionate" about North Melbourne than having anything to do with our team. I'm disappointed because our board has not embraced the women's game anywhere near the way other boards have. I'm pissed off because some of our players are injured and some of them are gone and the finals system this year is royally ****ed-up and broken. I do not care whether North Melbourne or the Bulldogs or Melbourne or Brisbane or University FC has contributed the most to women's footy, whatever that means. I care about the footy that's happening now, and if that's too dry and not passionate enough I might just take a break from this board and hang out on Twitter for a while and follow other clubs' match-day threads and leave you all to it.

Well I'm glad you've had a good time s**t-talking North, I've had a s**t night because my footy team lost and when I've come online to discuss the game and commiserate with other Dogs fans I've had to wade through all the same bickering I've seen a hundred times before and it really comes across like people are more interested in being "passionate" about North Melbourne than having anything to do with our team. I'm disappointed because our board has not embraced the women's game anywhere near the way other boards have. I'm pissed off because some of our players are injured and some of them are gone and the finals system this year is royally ******-up and broken. I do not care whether North Melbourne or the Bulldogs or Melbourne or Brisbane or University FC has contributed the most to women's footy, whatever that means. I care about the footy that's happening now, and if that's too dry and not passionate enough I might just take a break from this board and hang out on Twitter for a while and follow other clubs' match-day threads and leave you all to it.

Hey I’m sorry, don’t leave, I and others enjoy your posting. I think I inhaled too much testerone lol and got carried away. I’m disappointed they lost too, but expected it. I just want a fair competition that’s all.

Well I'm glad you've had a good time s**t-talking North, I've had a s**t night because my footy team lost and when I've come online to discuss the game and commiserate with other Dogs fans I've had to wade through all the same bickering I've seen a hundred times before and it really comes across like people are more interested in being "passionate" about North Melbourne than having anything to do with our team. I'm disappointed because our board has not embraced the women's game anywhere near the way other boards have. I'm pissed off because some of our players are injured and some of them are gone and the finals system this year is royally ******-up and broken. I do not care whether North Melbourne or the Bulldogs or Melbourne or Brisbane or University FC has contributed the most to women's footy, whatever that means. I care about the footy that's happening now, and if that's too dry and not passionate enough I might just take a break from this board and hang out on Twitter for a while and follow other clubs' match-day threads and leave you all to it.
A threat to leave an online forum. A more depressing cry for help I dare not imagine.

I do not care whether North Melbourne or the Bulldogs or Melbourne or Brisbane or University FC has contributed the most to women's footy, whatever that means.

I am immensely proud to be part of a club that has pioneered this to the elite level. I personally don't appreciate supporters from clubs who necessarily didn't claiming they did it all on their own.

The work done behind the scenes from both us and Melbourne during 2013-2016 to get this competition up should be recognised and applauded, because without the Dogs and Dees the AFLW would still be a pipe dream.

To say this board hasn't embraced the women's team is also a little harsh. Just because some people don't post about it doesn't mean they don't care or support it.

We almost always get over 8,000 plus to our home games, no other team can say that.

I understand it's frustrating to have two of our best players out and lose by 30 points to a "new" team, because I am too. Personally I am comforted by the fact we've already got a premiership in the cabinet and are building a solid core group. Blackburn, Brennan, Scott, Lamb, Birch, Lochland, Huntington aren't leaving and I would bet Conti, Toogood and Utri are here to stay too (even though Conti is a North supporter).

Kearney is 30 this year, Blackburn is 24, I know which one I would take for long term success.

All the frustration I have towards the AFLW is because of decisions made by the AFL. This conference system is as you say "royally ******-up and broken" and the way they have handled the two new teams this year has not been handled well either.

Just remember that when teams lose BigFooty is a venting/coping mechanism.

Btw, I am happy to talk all day long about the football side of AFLW, just don't come on here often enough.

Hey I’m sorry, don’t leave, I and others enjoy your posting. I think I inhaled too much testerone lol and got carried away. I’m disappointed they lost too, but expected it. I just want a fair competition that’s all.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I probably went a bit far in my response but I'm just frustrated by how hard it is to talk about women's footy on my own team's board. I didn't mean like quit bigfooty forever, but I think I will just give myself a break tomorrow and Sunday and just enjoy the rest of this round offline.

I think we all just want a fair competition, but I guess in the AFL it's just a bit much to expect :(

It's not a threat and I didn't say I'd be leaving the whole forum, so good on you.
There’s plenty of passionate Dogs AFLW fans on here. Me included. Tonight was desperately frustrating. Two of their BOG were poached directly from us. Ashmore also feels like a slight on us as well as the Lions.

North have had a great big leg-up and I naively thought their own fans may have acknowledged that too. I’m sorry if my comments derailed their game thread - believe it or not I was not trying to be antagonistic.

Give us your comments on the game. I’m sure plenty of people are interested in discussing it.

I am immensely proud to be part of a club that has pioneered this to the elite level. I personally don't appreciate supporters from clubs who necessarily didn't claiming they did it all on their own.

The work done behind the scenes from both us and Melbourne during 2013-2016 to get this competition up should be recognised and applauded, because without the Dogs and Dees the AFLW would still be a pipe dream.

To say this board hasn't embraced the women's team is also a little harsh. Just because some people don't post about it doesn't mean they don't care or support it.

We almost always get over 8,000 plus to our home games, no other team can say that.

I understand it's frustrating to have two of our best players out and lose by 30 points to a "new" team, because I am too. Personally I am comforted by the fact we've already got a premiership in the cabinet and are building a solid core group. Blackburn, Brennan, Scott, Lamb, Birch, Lochland, Huntington aren't leaving and I would bet Conti, Toogood and Utri are here to stay too (even though Conti is a North supporter).

Kearney is 30 this year, Blackburn is 24, I know which one I would take for long term success.

All the frustration I have towards the AFLW is because of decisions made by the AFL. This conference system is as you say "royally ******-up and broken" and the way they have handled the two new teams this year has not been handled well either.

Just remember that when teams lose BigFooty is a venting/coping mechanism.

I'm proud of everything we've done as well, but I struggle when people see it as a competitive thing and not collaborative. In defending what the Dogs have done, people seem to jump to talking down every other team's achievements. A bit of fact-checking and biting back and banter I understand, but the endless pissing contest just isn't to my taste.

And when I'm talking about this board not embracing it, I don't mean anything against any individual who posts here. But I try to follow every AFLW thread across all the club boards, and participation is just really low here in comparison. We have two threads. Again, I know we're a fairly small board and I'm really not having a go at anyone when I say this, and I'm certainly not projecting out to the club more generally. I just wish there was more going on here, because if there was more general conversation, it wouldn't have as much effect if threads were hijacked once in a while or if we had a bad night and everyone had a big old vent.

And I agree with all your points from there on. I love our players and I love supporting the team, I'm thrilled with our premiership and I'm mad at the AFL. Bigfooty is Bigfooty but sometimes I just wish it wasn't quite so Bigfooty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back