Your Top 10 UK Bands of All time

Remove this Banner Ad

Placebo (seem to be cruelly overlooked in these lists)
Joy Division / New Order
The Cure
The Smiths
Coldplay
Radiohead
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Jesus & Mary Chain
Radiohead

Cocteau Twins
Mediaeval Baebes
Joy Division
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Fields of the Nephilim
The Cure
Sneaker Pimps (w/Kelli Alli ONLY)
Killing Joke
Pop Will Eat Itself

In order...

The Beatles
The Who
The Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Cream
The Kinks
The Clash
Radiohead
Arctic Monkeys

SM:
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Coldplay
Oasis
The Police
The Cure
The Animals

Hard to go past most those already mentioned, The Beatles, The Clash, Pink Floyd & Joy Division would top my list.

One band I haven't seen mentioned is Squeeze who had several very good songs - Tempted/Cool for Cats/Black Coffee in Bed among them - & weren't afraid to change it up, not a top echelon band but one that deserves a mention.

Hard to go past most those already mentioned, The Beatles, The Clash, Pink Floyd & Joy Division would top my list.

One band I haven't seen mentioned is Squeeze who had several very good songs - Tempted/Cool for Cats/Black Coffee in Bed among them - & weren't afraid to change it up, not a top echelon band but one that deserves a mention.

Should have been in my honourable mentions !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In no particular order

The Clash
The Jesus and mary Chain
The Jam
The Who
Big country
The Specials
The Anti nowhere league
The skids
New Order
The Sex pistols

Singer would be Billy Bragg

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Judas Priest
Venom
Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin
Deep Purple
The Cult
GBH
Motorhead
Carcass
Bolt Thrower

1. Curve
2. Siouxsie & The Banshees
3. Roxy Music
4. Lush
5. The Pretenders
6. Electric Light Orchestra
7. King Crimson
8. Pink Floyd
9. The Hollies
10. Badfinger

Can't believe the lack of love for the Stone Roses

When you only release 2 albums, what can you really expect? UK have produced a lot of great bands, and so 2 studio albums (the latter of which is arguably a good 45 min album buried within a bloated CD-filler) doesn't much stack up when preparing top ten lists.

When you only release 2 albums, what can you really expect? UK have produced a lot of great bands, and so 2 studio albums (the latter of which is arguably a good 45 min album buried within a bloated CD-filler) doesn't much stack up when preparing top ten lists.

Yep was listening to the extended version of Fools Gold last night in the headphones. No doubting its brilliance, but they just didnt have the longevity.

Yep was listening to the extended version of Fools Gold last night in the headphones. No doubting its brilliance, but they just didnt have the longevity.
I have my own 7 track personal playlist from Second Coming, seldom listen to the rest.

1. Breaking into Heaven
2. Ten Storey Love Song
3. Tears
4. Love Spreads
5. Driving South
6. Begging You
7. Daybreak

Kind of like an album within a double album, or 2 EPs (1-4 & 5-7) squashed together. I guess after several years they might have felt their fans had earned a lot of material, but if they just released something like the above then it might have gained more traction.

The Made of Stone documentary by super-fan Shane Meadows is excellent.

Last edited:
Yeah Stone Roses should of had a better career, but imploded after the first album for a variety of reasons

Anyway, personally here is my list:

1. Depeche Mode
2. New Order (include Joy Division as well)
3. The Cure
4. Radiohead
5. The Smiths
6. Blur
7. Underworld
8. Simple Minds
9. Pet Shop Boys
10. The Chameleons

Now obviously there are many great artists from other eras (Beatles/stones/Floyd/zeppelin etc from 60s and 70s) but the ones above are some of the ones which have resonated most with me over the years.

The late 70s to early 90s were a particularly fertile period for UK music (from punk to acid house/shoegaze).

Brit pop had some great and intelligent stuff in Blur/Suede and Pulp, but Oasis (whos first 2 albums I quite like) seemed to lead the way to more conservative boring guitar music, which was the prelude for the landfill indie which would effectively kill guitar music as a commercial force for a decade from the late 00s onward.

I have my own 7 track personal playlist from Second Coming, seldom listen to the rest.

1. Breaking into Heaven
2. Ten Storey Love Song
3. Tears
4. Love Spreads
5. Driving South
6. Begging You
7. Daybreak

Kind of like an album within a double album, or 2 EPs (1-4 & 5-7) squashed together. I guess after several years they might have felt their fans had earned a lot of material, but if they just released something like the above then it might have gained more traction.

The Made of Stone documentary by super-fan Shane Meadows is excellent.

Begging You is fantastic, it’s like the best elements of what they could of been.

Driving South is another favorite, Breaking Into Heaven could of been trimmed about 4 minutes, and Ten Story Love song is quite lovely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back