Sri Lanka tour of South Africa 2019 - 2 Tests, 5 ODIs, 2 T20Is

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad decision from the umpire with Fernando. Karunaratne is a bit unluckysih

He and Broad.

I will say one thing about Philander - and even as a fan, it really annoys me too - but because he bowls so stump to stump, and from a low skiddy height, he really DOES bowl a high percentage of balls that really look very out

Don't forget Jadeja

Elgar drops a sitter in a wide 3rd slip off Steyn. Steyn would have had 5WI and outright 7th on the list below:

Most Test Wickets (6th to 15th):

519 - CA Walsh (WI)
437 - SCJ Broad (ENG)
437* - DW Steyn (SA)
434 - Kapil Dev (IND)
433 - HMRKB Herath (SL)
431 - RJ Hadlee (NZ)
421 - SM Pollock (SA)
417 - H Singh (IND)
414 - W Akram (SA)
405 - CEL Ambrose (WI)

* with SL 8/166 in their 1st innings

Steyn with 437 wickets is half way through his 92nd Test. Selected other bowlers after 92 Tests:
444 - Kumble
431 - Hadlee (86 Tests)
430 - Herath
422 - McGrath
407 - Warne
383 - Ambrose
376 - Marshall (81 Tests)
355 - Lillee (70 Tests)
343 - Anderson
333 - Walsh

Hawk eye is drunk on that karunaratne call.how can the ball just be inline and not move a inch for another 3m haha! Angle alone pushes the ball down leg. It's a joke!

Read de kock comments they under rated the sri Lankas bowlers umm they have two of the leading wicket takers for last year in the team de kock you spud! 😂
Do they? Perera was the 2nd leading wicket taker last year but he isn't playing and then after that you have to go down to Lakmal who was the 21st leading wicket taker.

Hawk eye is drunk on that karunaratne call.how can the ball just be inline and not move a inch for another 3m haha! Angle alone pushes the ball down leg. It's a joke!

Read de kock comments they under rated the sri Lankas bowlers umm they have two of the leading wicket takers for last year in the team de kock you spud! 😂

???
Lakmal was ranked 21st for 2018 and the other one (Pereira, 2nd) isn’t playing.

Imagine if Sri Lanka could sort their batting out.

What's the deal with Thirimanne? So very average, yet consistently picked. Pretty sure he was captain once

Imagine if Sri Lanka could sort their batting out.

What's the deal with Thirimanne? So very average, yet consistently picked. Pretty sure he was captain once

He has been one of their better performers on overseas tours.

Trying to see sense in a Sri Lankan selection panels logic is pretty futile, but I can't see what is gained with Chandimal on the sidelines. He may be struggling for form, but absolutely is a world class batsman and capable of playing the sorts of knocks they've been crying out for.

Unlike the Australian tour, there's been some pretty nice signs for them in Durban. Certainly not out of the game yet although will be pushing it uphill facing the South African pacemen.

God Sri Lanka are terrible. Bangladesh too look how they're going right now in NZ OMFG.... These teams are killing cricket

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The temptation will be to go with pace but if I’m the captain I go at de kock with the spinner immediately. He has a real problem with finger spinners that needs addressing.
That's probably the best way to go at De kock:thumbsu:

God Sri Lanka are terrible. Bangladesh too look how they're going right now in NZ OMFG.... These teams are killing cricket

Mate Australia has lost 20 of its last 24 completed one day matches. Hell, they lost a match 7 months ago by TWO HUNDRED AND FOURTY TWO runs.
And you think Bangladesh getting bowled out for 220-230 a couple of games in a row is killing cricket?

By the way, Bangladesh have won 13 of their last 24.

Seriously, is no team allowed to be ordinary for a while anymore?

Are St Kilda and Carlton killing AFL football?

Mate Australia has lost 20 of its last 24 completed one day matches. Hell, they lost a match 7 months ago by TWO HUNDRED AND FOURTY TWO runs.
And you think Bangladesh getting bowled out for 220-230 a couple of games in a row is killing cricket?

By the way, Bangladesh have won 13 of their last 24.

Seriously, is no team allowed to be ordinary for a while anymore?

Are St Kilda and Carlton killing AFL football?
Who wants to watch s**t teams play cricket? Australia have historically been the best team ever why all the hate?? None of the subcontinent teams improve apart from India. NZ do amazing things despite their population and get hardly any tests. Carlton is yes.....

Who wants to watch s**t teams play cricket? Australia have historically been the best team ever why all the hate?? None of the subcontinent teams improve apart from India. NZ do amazing things despite their population and get hardly any tests. Carlton is yes.....

What do you mean none of the subcontinent teams improve?
Bangladesh have drawn series with Australia and England in tests recently.
They also lost by just 3 wickets to India in the final of the Asia Cup all the way back in..... 2018.

What does hate have to do with it?
I’m simply pointing out that looking at Bangladesh and Sri Lanka and making a blanket statement like ‘they’re killing cricket’ is absolutely ridiculous when in our own backyard there is a limited overs team who couldn’t beat Kurt Fearnley in a dance off.

I just don't get the short memories of people here. Australia struggled for the past year but did pretty well for the hundred years prior to that. We have teams playing international cricket who at this present point in time can literally still not field to save themselves. I get that all teams struggle overseas but the absolute and utter lack of effort, professionalism and planning that some teams come up with is disgraceful. We all know which teams I'm talking about. Who on earth wants to waste money on teams that can't be bothered putting up a fight? No wonder test cricket is dying. Look at the Lankans first class system. The clown Fernando summed it up perfectly when he wrote an article last week referencing the fact that spinners dominate the game over there with zero interest from administrators in actually developing the game or producing fast bowlers or competitive cricket. They add new teams all the time, it's mostly fixed, the pitches are a disgrace and no one can field. These are facts. Same with Bangladesh and Pakistan going the same way. The windies have also been utterly shithouse for decades but seem to have turned a corner, hopefully that continues. Why on earth does the ICC put up with this nonsense? Are there really that many people in India watching these s**t games to justify the TV rights and perpetuating this farce? Name any other sport which encourages and rewards such mediocrity??? Do the all blacks have to play fifth rate teams all the time? No.. you have to earn that right. Ireland did now, they are a serious rugby power. Under cricket's administration the all blacks would be playing Namibia every month!!! The system is broken. Bring on the championship and phat you can gloat hard if Australia fall into the second tier and if we win it I get to say told you so

I just don't get the short memories of people here. Australia struggled for the past year but did pretty well for the hundred years prior to that. We have teams playing international cricket who at this present point in time can literally still not field to save themselves. I get that all teams struggle overseas but the absolute and utter lack of effort, professionalism and planning that some teams come up with is disgraceful. We all know which teams I'm talking about. Who on earth wants to waste money on teams that can't be bothered putting up a fight? No wonder test cricket is dying. Look at the Lankans first class system. The clown Fernando summed it up perfectly when he wrote an article last week referencing the fact that spinners dominate the game over there with zero interest from administrators in actually developing the game or producing fast bowlers or competitive cricket. They add new teams all the time, it's mostly fixed, the pitches are a disgrace and no one can field. These are facts. Same with Bangladesh and Pakistan going the same way. The windies have also been utterly shithouse for decades but seem to have turned a corner, hopefully that continues. Why on earth does the ICC put up with this nonsense? Are there really that many people in India watching these s**t games to justify the TV rights and perpetuating this farce? Name any other sport which encourages and rewards such mediocrity??? Do the all blacks have to play fifth rate teams all the time? No.. you have to earn that right. Ireland did now, they are a serious rugby power. Under cricket's administration the all blacks would be playing Namibia every month!!! The system is broken. Bring on the championship and phat you can gloat hard if Australia fall into the second tier and if we win it I get to say told you so

lol at bringing Pakistan into it.

They’ve not played a home odi or test for over a decade mate. The fact that they even have a side that was number 1 within the last 3 years is nothing short of a miracle.

Sri Lanka? It’s two years since they flogged Australia 3-0 and 6 months since they annihilated SA.

Are they about to win a series in SENA? Nowhere near it, but they’ve been in worse positions before.

Frankly it’s laughable that Bangladesh can even be mentioned. Every aspect of their cricket has improved tenfold in the last 5-6 years.

The only thing genuinely holding them back is a quality pace attack, and in their defence, literally the genetics of the Bangladeshi people plays a large role in that because they simply don’t produce any big, strapping 5-12 to 6-2 men. They’re as rare as hens teeth. Have you never noticed that their entire squad is the size of Sachin Tendulkar?

Australia helped invent the bloody game. It is ingrained in our entire culture that for six months a year, we follow the sport, or as a kid, you play it.

The men of Sri Lanka had spent most of the last 50 years dodging bombs mate.

It’s a ridiculously unfair comparison, even allowing for the fact that, as you correctly point out, their administration is shocking.

lol at bringing Pakistan into it.

They’ve not played a home odi or test for over a decade mate. The fact that they even have a side that was number 1 within the last 3 years is nothing short of a miracle.

Sri Lanka? It’s two years since they flogged Australia 3-0 and 6 months since they annihilated SA.

Are they about to win a series in SENA? Nowhere near it, but they’ve been in worse positions before.

Frankly it’s laughable that Bangladesh can even be mentioned. Every aspect of their cricket has improved tenfold in the last 5-6 years.

The only thing genuinely holding them back is a quality pace attack, and in their defence, literally the genetics of the Bangladeshi people plays a large role in that because they simply don’t produce any big, strapping 5-12 to 6-2 men. They’re as rare as hens teeth. Have you never noticed that their entire squad is the size of Sachin Tendulkar?

Australia helped invent the bloody game. It is ingrained in our entire culture that for six months a year, we follow the sport, or as a kid, you play it.

The men of Sri Lanka had spent most of the last 50 years dodging bombs mate.

It’s a ridiculously unfair comparison, even allowing for the fact that, as you correctly point out, their administration is shocking.
I want a summit meeting with the ICC and all the test playing nations reps.... Let's sort this shite out once and for all. If it takes us taking hundreds of developing players into our academies and teaching them basic fielding and vice versa is sending our blokes over there to learn how to use our feet to spin then let's do it. Let's work together in a bipartite relationship with other countries to improve this disgrace. Send starc over there to bowl fast for a month in fifty degree Indian heat to sort him out. Seriously phat you can't flog it hard to teams folding like origami overseas halfway through day two. It does a disservice to both teams. Weak teams weaken cricket mate. Let's get all the countries round that table and nut out a way forward. I don't want cricket to be reduced to 3 overs a side just to draw a crowd. Test cricket is the pinnacle let's treat it as thus..........

McManus

I want a summit meeting with the ICC and all the test playing nations reps.... Let's sort this shite out once and for all. If it takes us taking hundreds of developing players into our academies and teaching them basic fielding and vice versa is sending our blokes over there to learn how to use our feet to spin then let's do it. Let's work together in a bipartite relationship with other countries to improve this disgrace. Send starc over there to bowl fast for a month in fifty degree Indian heat to sort him out. Seriously phat you can't flog it hard to teams folding like origami overseas halfway through day two. It does a disservice to both teams. Weak teams weaken cricket mate. Let's get all the countries round that table and nut out a way forward. I don't want cricket to be reduced to 3 overs a side just to draw a crowd. Test cricket is the pinnacle let's treat it as thus..........

McManus

I’m not flogging it hard to teams folding halfway through day two because the only team who has done that recently is England mate. Sri Lanka dominated the early stages, got blown away by De Kock, batted well for a while, got blown away by Steyn, recovered through their lower order to trim the deficit to 40, ran through SA’s top order before Faf and De Kock put SA back on track, then as the game looked like it was out of mathematical reach, a player on debut took 5 wickets to keep the target to 300. And once more they started well with the bat. The actual test they are playing as we speak has actually been well contested.

Also worth remembering that SENA players grow up on lush green fields and can slide around like a puck on ice.

Try doing that in Asia and see what happens.

with SL 5/114 in their 2nd innings

Most Test Wickets (6th to 15th):

519 - CA Walsh (WI)
439* - DW Steyn (SA) [92 Tests]
437 - SCJ Broad (ENG)
434 - Kapil Dev (IND)
433 - HMRKB Herath (SL)
431 - RJ Hadlee (NZ)
421 - SM Pollock (SA)
417 - H Singh (IND)
414 - W Akram (SA)
405 - CEL Ambrose (WI)